Rescoring...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it would take a little longer for that sort of reply.

I'd love either JNH or Murray Gold to score a Potter movie. I'm not saying they would be better than Williams, I'm just interested in how they'd approach it.

I would love to see the Narnia movies re-scored...maybe by Howard Shore or John Williams. I actually remember sitting in the theater watching the first one and having the LOTR's scores going through my head. Those Narnia scores just didn't do it for me.

No, NOT Howard Shore. Remember, we already had LOTR, and we don't need another one.

A Williams Narnia score would probably sound too, Williams-esque, and would take away from the movie.

For those movies, I think I would have been more happy with, in order, James Newton Howard, John Powell, or John Debney.

A Williams Narnia score would probably sound too, Williams-esque, and would take away from the movie.

And how is that a bad thing? :happybday:

Although, I agree, Howard Newton would be a good choice too!

Nothing is worse than the crap that wound up in the film, part orchestra, part New Age and part Christian Rock. Autopilot Williams would still have been better than that.

Excuse me? New Age Christian rock?

i suppose that's the end credits 'suite'

That uses alot of good CD space :D

Not only that, some of the score itself had too much of a contemporary feel, probably trying to appeal to the Christian rock crowd. Completely inappropriate for a film that takes place (a) during World War II and (b) in a madeup land like Narnia.

As a Bond fan, the music in Never Say Never Again has always been particularly horrendous to me. While there are a few good tracks, I doubt anyone can argue the score is pretty poor. If only Connery didn't interfere, perhaps we would have gotten a great score from Horner, who was originally signed to the project.

Not only that, some of the score itself had too much of a contemporary feel, probably trying to appeal to the Christian rock crowd. Completely inappropriate for a film that takes place (a) during World War II and (b) in a madeup land like Narnia.

I completely agree. Too many of the moments in that movie that should have had sweeping, symphonic music, had dippy contemporary music instead that totally didn't work for the scenes.

I would now, also, like to add Stealth to my list of movies that should have been rescored. In a perfect world, it would have had a Jerry Goldsmith score, but in a perfect world, Jerry would still be with us.

Excuse me? New Age Christian rock?

i suppose that's the end credits 'suite'

That uses alot of good CD space :D

I seriously doubt Harry was trying to reach to the religious crowd. The score has all of his sound.

Elmer Bernstein - Ghostbusters II

Elmer Bernstein - Top Secret!

Jerry Goldsmith - Jumangi

Bruce Broughton - Goblet Fire & Order Of The Phoenix

John Williams scoring Superman Returns.

Dear god, why would you want to waste a month of John's life on this tosh?

Considering he has never touched the material outside of the original, yes. And it goes without saying that the score would have been better than the movie.

Yes. Or Williams Ross. I'm serious.

The Pirates of the Carribean movies are the obvious ones to leap to mind, though with Bruckheimer's tin ear they probably would've turned out bad no matter who was scoring.

Maybe Horner for Star Trek IV, to complete the loose trilogy, and I've never been a fan of Rosenman's score. And I would have liked Dennis McCarthy to get another shot at a movie, Insurrection would probably fit his style best.

The Pirates of the Carribean movies are the obvious ones to leap to mind, though with Bruckheimer's tin ear they probably would've turned out bad no matter who was scoring.

Maybe Horner for Star Trek IV, to complete the loose trilogy, and I've never been a fan of Rosenman's score. And I would have liked Dennis McCarthy to get another shot at a movie, Insurrection would probably fit his style best.

Pirates of the Caribbean needs to be rescored and Korngold needs to do it. I don't care if he's dead! Re-animate him!

Horner would never write another Star Trek score. Supposedly, they offered him Star Trek VI and he turned it down saying "His career had moved beyond Star Trek"

And it would have been nice to see what Dennis McCarthy could have done with out Rick Berman looking over his shoulder.

Dear god, why would you want to waste a month of John's life on this tosh?

Considering he has never touched the material outside of the original, yes. And it goes without saying that the score would have been better than the movie.

You forget that Williams contributed to Superman IV.

Horner would never write another Star Trek score. Supposedly, they offered him Star Trek VI and he turned it down saying "His career had moved beyond Star Trek"

I thought it was because Nick Meyer thought Horner wouldn't work for the darker score he wanted.

You forget that Williams contributed to Superman IV.

I actually didn't know that. Still, that wasn't a full score.

The movies are as bland as can be with the HGW scores

My pick:

Lost in Space the Movie. Even if Broughton's score is great ,I really wanted to hear Williams expand upon his TV scores in full blown orchestral glory

and also HPGoF

I'm usually not too hot on this sort of discussion. I'll nominate this though:

Alan Silvestri for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Bernard Herrmann - Torn Curtain

John Williams - The Color Purple

James Horner - The DaVinci Code / Cinderella Man

Jerry Goldsmith - Starship Troopers (not that I like stomping on Poledouris' excellent score)

Supposedly, they offered him Star Trek VI and he turned it down saying "His career had moved beyond Star Trek"

Horner also turned down Harry Potter, saying he was tired of doing fantasy films.

A Horner scored Harry Potter movie would just sound like a sinking ship full of Scots

I'm usually not too hot on this sort of discussion. I'll nominate this though:

Alan Silvestri for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Yes I think quite a few people wished he would have stayed on board the project.

Amadeus. Instead of that self-important hack Mozart so pretentiously drawing attention to himself all throughout the film, they should've hired a real composer like Williams.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - John Williams or John Debney

Pirates of the Caribbean - Alan Silvestri

The Kingdom - Hans Zimmer

Iron Man - John Debney

Hellboy 2 - Marco Beltrami

Spider-Man 3 - Danny Elfman

Amadeus. Instead of that self-important hack Mozart so pretentiously drawing attention to himself all throughout the film, they should've hired a real composer like Williams.

hehehehe...I just got this mental image of JW bending over and farting after playing Mozart on the piano and a wild party. :P

But Lost In Space was a terrible movie. It had Matt Le Blanc!

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis should score Australia. Not sure if a composer has signed on yet, but I know it will not be those two.

Don't knock Le Blanc. He was great on Friends, and that's all I care about. I also wouldn't pin the shortcomings of that film on Le Blanc's shoulders. Though I actually like the cast, the film was terrible for numerous reasons, the primary of which was the script. My God Goldsman is a hit or miss writer. Although it would appear the worst is behind him.

Anyway, I would love to have seen what (you guessed it) Jeremy Soule could have done with either LOtR, or more so, The Narnia series. I think his style would have complemented either very nicely.

Also, ditto on McCarthy. Pity it doesn't look like he'll ever get another good project...

Now that would be quality music. When you think of great film music or just great music, RZA immediately comes to mind.

Goldsmith for STAR TREK: GENERATIONS. I like the score, and some moments are very good, but I would have liked to have seen what Jerry could've done with it. Probably because I'm so enamoured with the TMP theme, and with it being so prominent in both the TNG series and Kirk's first movie adventure, I missed it a lot. Especially since it was used in the trailer.