Rescoring...

Narnia scores, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins. All by Williams. Though I do enjoy parts of each of those scores, I think JW could have done much better.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins. All by Williams.

Batman Returns with a John Williams score? Er, no thanks. Elfman's score was perfect for that film, not to mention the brilliant score for the original film he provided.

John Williams isn't the sort of composer I would ever want scoring a Tim Burton film, no offence folks.

As for Begins, that is even more so not for Williams. James Newton Howard by himself would have been the much better solution.

My personal picks (off the top of my head) for rescoring would have to be Aliens by Jerry Goldsmith and Poltergeist III by Jerry Goldsmith.

Well then I can gracefully rejoice in the fact that Burton helmed the initial big-screen retooling of the character, because never will I disagree with the choice of composer that was made.

Danny Elfman was the right choice. Never have I ever fathomed an ill-defined concept such as Williams composing the music instead. I find such a notion, especially considering the terrific score that was provided, to be nothing more than biased.

Anyway, I would love to have seen what (you guessed it) Jeremy Soule could have done with either LOtR, or more so, The Narnia series. I think his style would have complemented either very nicely.

Soule's music has a tendancy to bore me. I really think what Harry Gregson-Williams WROTE for the Narnia movies is better than what we would have gotten from Soule.

But then, I could be wrong, as I haven't heard a whole ton of Soule's stuff.

Elfman for any movie that has Batman in it. Its just wrong that he wasn't used for the rest of them...

I would never want JW to do a Burton movie. Elfman's music has a "quirkiness" to it that perfectly fits anything and everything Burton does. That's like have JW not do a Spielberg movie. It's just wrong

Anyway, I would love to have seen what (you guessed it) Jeremy Soule could have done with either LOtR, or more so, The Narnia series. I think his style would have complemented either very nicely.

Soule's music has a tendancy to bore me. I really think what Harry Gregson-Williams WROTE for the Narnia movies is better than what we would have gotten from Soule.

But then, I could be wrong, as I haven't heard a whole ton of Soule's stuff.

What scores of his have you heard? I could recommend a few.

Though he is a bit of an acquired taste, once you really listen to some of his music, and that of so many of the other contemporary VG/Film composers, you come to understand that there is a genius at work in some of his scores, though certainly not all of them.

Trust me, HGW isn't even on the same planet as this guy in terms of an "original" or creative musical perspective.

Elfman for any movie that has Batman in it. Its just wrong that he wasn't used for the rest of them...

I would never want JW to do a Burton movie. Elfman's music has a "quirkiness" to it that perfectly fits anything and everything Burton does.

Which is why Elfman only scored the first two films.

I get utterly bored by Elfman's BATMAN(S), so JW would be a welcome change of pace.

Finally, somebody who agrees with me. Though there are a couple fantastic cues, as a whole they bore me. Same goes for BB.

1. Ladyhawke immediately comes to mind. It's no masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it's a decent film and a good score would make it work much better.

2. I think even I could have scored it better. But if I were to hire anyone (working today) I'd think Williams... or James Newton Howard... or Goldenthal. Though it would be really interesting to see what Poledouris or Goldsmith would have done with the project.

Goldenthal's two scores were very good.

I haven't heard much of BATMAN & ROBIN but I like his stuff for FOREVER. One of the best examples I can think of with an excellent score scoring a terrible film.

BATMAN FOREVER isn't as terrible a movie as BATMAN & ROBIN

True, next to BATMAN & ROBIN, FOREVER looks like CHINATOWN. I can't remember a note of B&R's score though. I sholuld track it down, really...

For whatever reason, Batman & Robin is basically a re-hash of Batman Forever. There are some new cues but alot of it consists of BF re-worked.

There was never an official score release, just a suite on the dreaded songtrack album. But it consists of material already released on the BF score album.

I don't mind Batman Forever. Batman & Robin is painfully bad. I honestly do believe the large majority of haters of the former are the comic book fanboys, the type that need to get out more, who demand everything to be portrayed on film the way it was originally conceived in their graphic novels as they like to call them. Then you have the extreme Batman haters of Joel Schumacher, the type who ignorantly formed a hatred for Forever quite simply because of the horrible film that proceeded it.

Batman Forever has always been considered to be a much better film than Batman & Robin, when in all honesty, it's also much better than a handful of other films in the genre, such as Superman III, Supergirl, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, X-Men: The Last Stand, Spider-Man 3, 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer being the top contenders.

I wouldn't call myself either, but the film does some pretty terrible things to Batman and what had been established before. Not hugely worse than the previous two movies, but Two Face's character was gutted completely and Batman himself wasn't really treated much better. Couple that with some awful writing (Akiva bloody Goldsman), and the sub-BLADE RUNNER approach the production design took. It seemed like Schumacher wasn't interested in taking the material at all seriously, and that took it in a pretty generic direction (especially when he said in an interview that Batman needed to get over his parents and lighten up). I guess from my point of view, at that point I was looking to see someone really take a proper crack at Batman (at least in live-action, as the Animated Series nailed the character from day one) and a more serious treatment, which is one of the reasons I like BEGINS so much. I guess it was truthful to the 60s Batman in some respects. Not that that's a good thing.

Well, I've seen The Dark Knight and consider it to be the best Batman film to date. Therefore the remaining portrayal of Two-Face in Forever is not something that is likely to ever bother me all that much again in the near future because we now have the true portrayal as a welcomed alternative in the latest film. I never hated the more campy, loony Tommy Lee Jones approach before but always had my quibbles with the obvious out of character moments.

One scene that I will point out (as it drives me nuts) from Forever is from the sequence at Bruce Wayne's mansion:

Two-Face tosses his coin, it lands on the scratched up side, therefore he shoots Bruce who then collapses and falls down the staircase knocked unconscious. Two-Face prances over to him in order to finish the job. Riddler abruptly interrupts, suggesting not to kill Bruce as he would be worse off kept alive. Two-Face agrees.

This is ridiculous, he would never listen to outside interference without first using his coin. Would it have been so hard as to have him toss it again, have it land on the normal side and therefore he spares Bruce's life?

Getting back to the score side of things; I also think Elliot Goldenthal's score for Forever is really good, I'm not really interested in owning the rehashed equivalent. It's not very good in the sound quality department either from what I have heard.

I'd love to see Batman Forever get the complete treatment. The original album is too short and missing lots of great music. I don't really want it in Batman & Robin form because the original performances and use of the music was better.

And man nipples on the Bat suits. Ohhhh...I'm getting excited in my rubber undies.

There's a great sounding boot of Batman and Robin around, with the complete score. Although it does rehashes a lot of stuff from Forever, it further develops many themes and motifs from the Forever score and does introduce several new ones. It's one hell of a fun score, very varied.

And Goldenthal's love theme for Batman Forever is absolutely stunning.

There's a great sounding boot of Batman and Robin around, with the complete score.

Present that great sounding bootleg to me on a silver plater and I shall welcomely trust your judgment.

Our definition of "great" sound must be different, because the two bootlegs I have heard were far from sounding as such. One was terrible in fact.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know this is an old topic, but I just watched Master and the Commander: The Far Side of the World and WOW, does THAT need a good rescoring - in fact, it could use a score!

Would have been a great opportunity for a 1982 style Horner score...

I'm sorry but that is exactly what the film did NOT need.

Master And Commander benefitted hugely from not having a faux-Korngold swashbuckling score.

Christopher Gordon's textural, and propulsive score, coupled with the period classical music work great in this fantastic film.

The period classical music is fine, but I couldn't disagree more about it needing a Korngold-esque score. My attention kept wandering during the movie - I actually fell asleep 3 times. Not to mention the fact that the movie had no closure whatsoever. They chase that French ship for 2 1/2 hours only to end the movie by....not catching the ship and keep chasing it! What was that?!

I think the problem is not woth the score, but with you just not getting the film.

The film does have closure, though maybe not in a traditional sense.

The final scene of Aubrey and Maturin playing together is a wonderfull gem.

great ending cue also.

John Williams should've scored Batman and Batman Returns, assuming Elfman could continue scoring the rest of Burton's films.

Why exactly?

The period classical music is fine, but I couldn't disagree more about it needing a Korngold-esque score. My attention kept wandering during the movie - I actually fell asleep 3 times. Not to mention the fact that the movie had no closure whatsoever. They chase that French ship for 2 1/2 hours only to end the movie by....not catching the ship and keep chasing it! What was that?!

I WANT TO HIT YOU SO HARD

How can you not love Dance Of The Witches?

Oh sorry not myself today.. god I should stop writing.. lol I luv dance of the witches.. and the ballroomscene (album) is my alltime favvourite.. just thougght it might be interesting