Rescoring...

Ok, I know this is an old topic, but I just watched Master and the Commander: The Far Side of the World and WOW, does THAT need a good rescoring - in fact, it could use a score!

Would have been a great opportunity for a 1982 style Horner score...

Or just let Chris Gordon do it alone and in his Moby Dick style with no collaborators.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The period classical music is fine, but I couldn't disagree more about it needing a Korngold-esque score. My attention kept wandering during the movie - I actually fell asleep 3 times. Not to mention the fact that the movie had no closure whatsoever. They chase that French ship for 2 1/2 hours only to end the movie by....not catching the ship and keep chasing it! What was that?!

I WANT TO HIT YOU SO HARD

It was the Seinfeld of war movies. Nothing happened!

John Williams should've scored Batman and Batman Returns, assuming Elfman could continue scoring the rest of Burton's films.

That must be some good stuff you're on, man.

Really, if he's going to score Batman films, I think that I'd prefer to see Williams score the Nolan films. He has the technical skills to pull off a more untraditional approach and still make it really good--even great.

Nonetheless, I think I'd even more like to have heard Don Davis take a crack at them.

Don Davis could be interesting. I can't see Williams writing music for the Nolan films though, it might even lead to his music being rejected. And I have to say, while I found BB's score very weak, TDK's music is rather solid. It seems like it still won't amount to too much on CD (possibly a nice listen, nothing more), but this time, it supports the movie rather well. All the first score had going was this forward-propelling ostinato, which constantly lost all its drive because of the constant fadeouts. TDK was much better in that regard.

Nolan obviously loves the Zimmer sound. Probably a Williams WotW-esque score, no matter how good, would have gotten rejected. I must say, I just don't understand Nolan's music taste. In fact, he says in the liner notes that the music for Batman Begins was so innovative and good that he hasn't heard an action trailer since that hasn't referenced it (or something like that). I just have to shake my head in wonder...

I think the Batman movies were doomed to get exactly the scores they got.

He also says something about James's pursuit of perfect pitch and Zimmer's lifelong quest for the ultimate drum hit.

Anybody have any idea what he is talking about?

Anybody have any idea what he is talking about?

No. But I can say that despite the two Zimmer/JNH Batman scores not being the best they can be they do serve their purpose in the films, as in they don't detract in any way from the movie.

In fact, he says in the liner notes that the music for Batman Begins was so innovative and good that he hasn't heard an action trailer since that hasn't referenced it (or something like that).

I also recall him saying the music was one of the main reasons he came back to do the sequel.

Don Davis could be interesting. I can't see Williams writing music for the Nolan films though, it might even lead to his music being rejected. And I have to say, while I found BB's score very weak, TDK's music is rather solid. It seems like it still won't amount to too much on CD (possibly a nice listen, nothing more), but this time, it supports the movie rather well. All the first score had going was this forward-propelling ostinato, which constantly lost all its drive because of the constant fadeouts. TDK was much better in that regard.

TDK was better, as I recall. Nonetheless, you hit it on the head that, while it supports the movie (better than Begins, anyway), it still won't amount to much more than a possible nice listen. The potential for the music in these films is so much more than that. It kind of seems like Zimmer was biting off more than he could chew to really make an excellent score without it going more traditional. These films deserve much richer music than they received. I mention Williams largely because he really has the technical capacity to pull off an untraditional (or less traditional) score while still making it a rich, interesting piece of work that immensely enhances the film.

I would like to hear a "Batman Theme" composed by John Williams.... Apparently, John Williams was asked to write the score for Tim Burton's original film. As it transpired, he was unavailable due to his committment to "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

I believe it was the producers that wanted Williams.

That is correct. Burton lobbied for Elfman since they had worked together several times before, and thankfully he was chosen.

I believe it was the producers that wanted Williams.

That is correct. Burton lobbied for Elfman since they had worked together several times before, and thankfully he was chosen.

The producers also lobbied really hard for Prince to write the Joker's Theme and Michael Jackson to write a love song for Vicki Vale and Bruce Wayne. Burton said no saying "My movies are not Top Gun."

I would rescore Dark Knight.

Not necessarily Batman Begins because either you think it works for the film or not; Dark Knight, on the other hand, is just Batman Begins arranged differently. When I watched BB again prior to DK, I realised just how MUCH music was simply re-used for DK.

So, no Zimmer, just JNH alone please.

I think it worked far better in BB than DK.

The music in DK, except for the Joker material, made the film worse for me. It's so plainly non- descriptive and completely out of touch with the film that it didn't matter sometimes if there was music or not.

Gordon's first conversation with Dent in his office for instance.

I agree. I do not think the music supported the film well, because all I could think of was "hmm, more Zimmer" throughout it. So completely generic. Except, of course, for the Joker theme, and I have a soft spot for anything JNH writes.

As to which I like better, I couldn't say. Probably TDK, just for the Joker theme, which works well onscreen. Neither score supports its movie well, though.

Dark Knight, on the other hand, is just Batman Begins arranged differently.

But for the better, IMHO. BB's score didn't hurt the film, TDK's supported it well.

I find Begins to be a better listening experience overall, but yeah TDK probably complements the movie more. Neither really stand out much, however.

BB is one giant bore for me. It works fine with the film, but it is still an awful score with the exception of a couple cues.

TDK was much better, in fact I would call it a good score. It works great in the film, and it is a nice listening experiance, although a lot of it is unlistenable.

To be perfectly honest, I'm dissapointed by JNH's input here in this case. With Zimmer, I was like "Alright, same thing as always", but I really expected Howard to come up with something meaty for Dent, similar to the emotional/Rachel/love/whatever theme in BB.

But he missed out.

By the way, why does the mayor wear so much eye make- up?

It works great in the film, and it is a nice listening experiance, although a lot of it is unlistenable.

Then how is it a good listening experience?

Meant to say some of it. Overall it is a good listening experiance. But some moments (most of "Why So Serious") are just unlistenable.

I'd say more than that. It has its' highlights sure, but most of the score is just atmospheric music (which does work well enough in the movie).

I actually remember very clearly what I thought about the music in the film scene after scene.

When the titles appeared, I heard the wing flapping and that very very minimalistic percussion sound, and the first thing I thought about was how the titles always are able to set the mood for a film and set a primary musical idea. First let down.

The bank job music was okay if you like the approach, I just had to laugh at the deep bass line when Joker reveals his face.

Then they cut to the drug dealing sscene in the garage, and that pulsating ostinato with the Batman signature felt very out of p(l)ace.

When Batman flies from skyscraper to skyscraper in Hong Kong, I thought "isn't this cut and paste from Begins?"

The same went through my head when I heard the music in the last conversation between dent and Rachel when they're locked in their death traps; I mean, come on, this is the most dramatic scene in the film, can't you use something original?

The "new" Batman theme is a tiny bit rousing, but doesn't seem to have any significance, and pops up rather unmotivated here and there.

Beyond that, I remember nothing but that ostinato over and over again until you lose your mind.

I think JNH saw what Nolan was looking for, and so left most everything to Zimmer. I could see how it could be very hard to produce very good music when you know the director really doesn't want your music, he just wants repeated string motifs.

By the way, I am listening to Prince Caspian "The Duel" right now, and for all the criticism HGW gets, it is miles ahead of anything on TDK. Nothing great, but, having just listened to a few tracks from TDK, it sounds pretty good.

To be perfectly honest, I'm dissapointed by JNH's input here in this case. With Zimmer, I was like "Alright, same thing as always", but I really expected Howard to come up with something meaty for Dent, similar to the emotional/Rachel/love/whatever theme in BB.

But he missed out.

But there is a theme for Dent and it's pretty prominent. Dent's last scene is still my favorite cue out of the whole film.

By the way, I am listening to Prince Caspian "The Duel" right now, and for all the criticism HGW gets, it is miles ahead of anything on TDK. Nothing great, but, having just listened to a few tracks from TDK, it sounds pretty good.

Prince Caspian is just a mixture of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe and Kingdom Of Heaven. Listen to Kingdom Of Heaven, that is a magnificent score.

. The Exorcist - Bernard Herrmann

. To Live and Die in L.A. - It would have been great to have Jerry Goldsmith in his Extreme Prejudice/Runaway mode for this other Friedkin gem

. Fight Club - Howard Shore

Oh, and of course The Color Purple by John Williams.

Pirates of the Caribbean needs to be rescored and Korngold needs to do it. I don't care if he's dead! Re-animate him!

Better to leave Erich's soul in peace. Those movies are terribily overrated and the Zimmer/Badelt scores are what they deserve.

Also Jurassic Park one of the Maestros worst efforts. This music is just wrong.. should be much better with James Newton Howard at work.

Superman should be redone by Jerry Goldsmith as originally intended and give the Hero the music he deserves.

Harry Potter 1.. should go to James Horner, who can handle that genre much better

Lost in Translation should be rscored by John Williams

Can you give me a time stamp for the theme you mean?

As far as I can hear, the theme for Dent is the first 25 seconds of "Harvey Two- Face", and I find it very dull - like JNH had written it between brushing his teeth and going to bed.

1:24 in Harvey Two-Face

the theme represented Gotham City in the first film, makes sense that it would be used for Dent since he is what they want Gotham to be