• 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

• 4 years later...

I credit this movie (and Empire Strikes Back) to forming my love for film score. When I was a kid, I would watch this movie almost every Sunday, late in the afternoon, with my dad. He’d be taking a nap on the couch and I’d put the VHS of this on, and we’d just watch it. Maybe a little conversation before the Nap took him over, talking about our week, how everything is going, etc. They were great times.

Now I can’t watch this movie or listen to the score anymore without remember those afternoons. I’m sure it was equal parts music, action, violence, and nudity that made me love the movie so much. 

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Where is this suite from?

Which album?

And did Horner arrange it himself?

Look in the video details. It's this: https://www.google.com/search?q=braveheart+theme+highland+orchestra&oq=beaveheart+theme+highland&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.3964j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I figured it is the Highland Orchestra but don't know who arranged the piece?

(It is quite an attractive arrangement essentially combining all major themes in a single 2.5 minute suit.)

• 1 year later...

Barely, but I know what you mean. 

2:56, or 3:12, or 4:00 (repeating example of what you mean) of this Isle of Hope song. 

It reminds you of this at 3:45: 

But it's such a minor little thing though. 

On 1/10/2020 at 7:23 PM, Thor said:

Here's a story for ya: When I attended the Horner concert in Vienna a few years ago, with the composer present, I was seated next to a young girl (Horner was actually sitting just right in front of me, to the right).

I bet you were eating popcorn and kicking him in the back all the time!

1 hour ago, NL197 said:

Barely, but I know what you mean. 

2:56, or 3:12, or 4:00 (repeating example of what you mean) of this Isle of Hope song. 

It reminds you of this at 3:45: 

But it's such a minor little thing though. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Horner was influenced by the song (consciously or otherwise) but I agree, it is just a little thing but it's always something that I think about any time I hear Braveheart. 

It's a bit like Leaving of Liverpool in Titanic. 

3 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Horner was influenced by the song (consciously or otherwise) but I agree, it is just a little thing but it's always something that I think about any time I hear Braveheart. 

It's a bit like Leaving of Liverpool in Titanic. 

Leaving of Liverpool was a good reference. Not only for a good melody, but for Titanic itself given its history. 

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Bumping a Braveheart post is like sending up the bat signal for @Chen G..

nec.gif

Oh, bumping Braveheart posts are TIGHT!

I don't even think it matters what anyone's favorite Horner from 1995 was, because it was such a great year for his music all around ya can't go wrong.  (I actually do enjoy JADE a lot. It's not my favorite of that year, but I enjoy the whole thing. Much of it is found in Braveheart anyway!)

The only prexisting melody I know Horner consciously spun one of his Braveheart tunes out of is "Amazing Grace" for the Outlawed tunes. But that's because the script originally called for "Amazing Grace."

Horner even upped his game and swapped his usual "danger" ostinato for a two-note brass figure that serves much the same purpose. It would return in Titanic (where its often called the "iceberg motive").

18 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Horner even upped his game and swapped his usual "danger" ostinato for a two-note brass figure that serves much the same purpose. It would return in Titanic (where its often called the "iceberg motive").

It’s interesting, because it actually started the year before that in Courage Under Fire with three notes and expanded it into its own theme. (The cue “Night Mutiny” is a good standalone version of the idea but it’s in others as well) It served as a sort of darker tension kind of device. Titanic narrowed it to two notes.

I like the 4 notes of doom. Unfortunately I heard them first in Troy, where they are relentless and was unaware of them in any other scores. I actually disliked Willow for a long time because it reminded me too much of Troy. I was wrong and I have paid my time.

In the end though, I am sort of happy I heard it first in Troy because I love that score and it doesn't bother me. It's a little annoying in Enemy at the Gates though... and I can't lie when I heard it in the first track of Avatar, I thought "Oh no, here we go again" but by the end of that album, I felt quite different. A petty, insignificant qualm it was.

4 hours ago, blondheim said:

Hard to Starboard is one of Horner's greatest tracks. You'll hear no argument from me. I love both. Horner was great

I found it better as Al Bathra. Easily my favorite Horner action cue. 

The Titanic trailer used a combination of that and Monfriez's Suicide. That had to be intentional since the film paralleled that music. 

1 hour ago, NL197 said:

I found it better as Al Bathra.

Imo Al Bathra is to Hard to Starboard what The Machine Age is to Kaleidoscope of Mathematics: a draft for the better cue.

I remember in the first few minutes of Willow, I was thinking it was going to be that, because the danger motif is very prominent in the first few cues. Thankfully, it ended up being a lot more varied.

But I definitely think this (in the low brass) sounds much more actually foreboding than this.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Enemy at the Gates is one of my favorite Horner scores from the 2000s, danger motif or not. 

I love the film too. The river crossing at the start is great. You can tell it was influenced by SPR but they did their own thing all the same. 

I want more big budget WW2 movies.