• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

On my holiday I listened to a fair few scores that I never really listened to before, so just for fun I'll be posting those next.

I hope this one answers to the request of more well-known scores being posted. <_<

Today's score is Braveheart by James Horner. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

Great score, and although he does used certain structures from earlier scores of his (never, surely?) such as even Name of the Rose, the score is wonderful for the movie. Horner really pulls the viewer into the various emotions taking place at the time in each scene. Powerful stuff for a movie which has such an impact it even opened up old historical wounds within the UK.

4 stars. For the Love of a Princess has one of the best strings performances I've ever heard, from the mighty LSO.
3... Overrated in my opinion

I agree with both of these, I'll go with 3.5.

Certainly lovely and inspired, but it doesn't really stand out as a whole. I'd give it a 4 probably, but I've listened to it only once in the last 5+ years, so my recollections are too vague to vote.

There is no doubt that it is a stellar film score, technically speaking. It complimented the film as well as the very best scores ever do and it certainly imprinted itself upon the minds of its audience - especially the huge amount of Braveheart fans out there and there are lots of 'em. But I personally prefer Titanic.

I listened to this score for the first time in full last week. It's pretty good, but I didn't notice any real stand-out moments. It's basically consistently good all the way through, but I'd need to give it another listen and perhaps see the film again at some point to better appreciate. Right now I'll give it 4 stars.

I should mention that Braveheart the 'movie' has become a much loved movie for militant organizations worldwide (who may themselves see themselves as freedom fighters of course). I'm not joking. Translated into many different languages.

They really love that movie. Although, I'm not sure if they have the score on CD :|

I should mention that Braveheart the 'movie' has become a much loved movie for militant organizations worldwide (who may themselves see themselves as freedom fighters of course). I'm not joking. Translated into many different languages.

I kind of liked the movie when i was under 20, but then i started to see the the more ham-fisted elements of the dramaturgy. The photography and the battle scenes are aces, though.

Horner's score is rightly praised for the fact that it breathed new life into the way this kind of dramatic spectacle was scored, but suffers from an overall saminess. With 'Legends of the Fall', it really started the unfortunate trend of Horner writing one or two central themes, using them over and over again without much variation.

'The Secret Wedding' is a masterpiece of pastoral beauty.

I'm not sure that's necasserily a blight on the movie. Battle of Algiers is used a training film, yet it is one of the greatest movies ever made.

I think the score works as well in it's film as any Horner score, and is one of his greatest albums. 5 stars.

I'm not sure that's necasserily a blight on the movie.

Oh it wasn't meant to be. It was just something I've noticed. I love the movie (and the score) :|

A 5 star score. Does everything that a great film score should do. Though I could do without the more derivative material, it fits like a glove in the film, and works fine as a standalone as well. "Betrayal and Desolation" remains one of the best cues ever, IMO, fitting the situation perfectly.

That's high praise indeed. You could have added an extra half onto it then maybe I'd have included you to my circle of trust.

• 8 months later...

One of my favorite movies and scores of all time. A 5. And I'm not a Horner fan... this is my favorite score of his. Braveheart probably is my brother's favorite movie of all-time, as he watches it every year on his birthday.

Took another listen recently - I love parts of it, but some of it is just pure synth/noise that doesn't work for me.

But the bits I do like I really love, so my rating is revised as 4 stars.

4 stars. One of Horner's best efforts from the period. And for once those Uillean Pipes are used in a film for which they actually suit. :lol:

One of the detractors in the score is the performance of the Murron & Wallace Love theme with that fluttery woodwind instrument. And on the plus side no Danger motif (you know DA DA DA DAA).

Well the Sons of Scotland main theme is pretty close to one of the themes in Glory. And of course the track titled Revenge has almost identical soundscape to the Legends of the Fall's Revenge right up the track title :lol: . But that is not trademark but self borrowing.

Oh I could predict the flurry of self-borrowings, but not using the danger motif... he's composing on the wild side ;)

:lol: Just a whiff of that motif usually makes me abandon any Horner score immeadiately unless it is the first one which started it all, Star Trek II.

But I promise to stop Horner bashing now!

I think you would like the score.

I can get a used copy for a couple of bucks I might pick it up.

This was the first Horner score I listened to that left me largely unimpressed (but was followed by quite a number of others later on...). It's a good score, it serves its purpose in the movie, but there seemed to be none of the magic I appreciated in his 80's works. Gave it 3 stars.

One of the best (with Krull). I am fond of various pipes like uillean pipes (I would have liked highland bagpipe in this film instead). One of the first soundtracks bought, I was very impressed. It is pity that some of the best parts are so short, like Making Plans/Gathering the Clans or The Legend Spreads.

LSO will play Braveheart on their film music concert on April 4th. I'm quite curious what kind of performance this will be, I've never heard any "Braveheart Suite". :lol: Probably the main title or the love theme.

LSO will play Braveheart on their film music concert on April 4th. I'm quite curious what kind of performance this will be, I've never heard any "Braveheart Suite". ;) Probably the main title or the love theme.

Too bad I cannot travel there. Maybe it can be heard here.

• 6 years later...

Watched the movie yesterday. Slightly too long and Murron should have lived. I did love the score and can't understand why people even bother criticising self-referencing or inappropriate instruments as long as the score works, which it does.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else noticed how the romantic theme has the exact same notes that open 'I Vow To Thee, My Country?'

2. With two albums released, are we missing a lot of music?