Han Solo and the Princess vs Days of Wine and Roses

Jarbas

These two music: Han Solo and the Princess by John Williams and Days of Wine and Roses by Henry Mancini are very similar in the melody.

See the video below:

Days of Wine and Roses

A horn plays the introduction of Mancini's music. The first five notes are the main melody of Han Solo and the Princess. I think it was a coincidence, but maybe after Williams noticed the similarity, he decided never record or play his piece again... :(

Enjoy the concert version (arranged by Williams in 80's) through Charles Gerhardt or Paul Bateman recordings, because for him the first and unique love theme from Star Wars saga is Across the Stars. :shakehead:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Marion's theme sounds like it.

And here I thought Williams based Han Solo and the Princess off of Princess Leia's Theme from Star Wars. Instead it's a song from 1962 by Mancini. :shakehead:

theres' still the matter as of why Williams has never re-recorded even a snippet of that theme ,or played it at any concert .And even ignoring it as the first SW love theme

There is a TON of material that Williams could adapt for concert works that he hasn't.

Maybe he feels it's not a worthy piece to perform, plus he seems to "forget" past works and concentrates on the present.

the point is it is a major SW theme .

It is left off every SW re-recordings by Williams.

Is it also not on the Skywalker Orchestra recording?

These two music: Han Solo and the Princess by John Williams and Days of Wine and Roses by Henry Mancini are very similar in the melody.

See the video below:

Days of Wine and Roses

A horn plays the introduction of Mancini's music. The first five notes are the main melody of Han Solo and the Princess. I think it was a coincidence, but maybe after Williams noticed the similarity, he decided never record or play his piece again... :P

Enjoy the concert version (arranged by Williams in 80's) through Charles Gerhardt or Paul Bateman recordings, because for him the first and unique love theme from Star Wars saga is Across the Stars. :|

It's striking, but thank you, I am very interested in JW's direct influences.

Let's not forget the entire SW score has been written by Williams based on a full temporary soundtrack compilation of other composer's works. Elgar, Dvorak Holst, Miklos Rosza and Walton are some of the composers used. It is very well possible that this song was the temp track for the Han Solo/Leia scenses, or at least suggested to Williams as the feel intended.

Which exact peices are on the temp soundtrack I am afraid will remain a mystery forever.

That Mancini thing is old news. Could be a coincidence, but, Williams having worked with Mancini makes me think it probably wasn't. Those first five notes were a good launching pad though for the rest of the love theme, but ultimately Williams made it something into his own, so it's no big deal.

Oh I know. People go into panic mode when temp tracks and possible "borrowing" threads are started.

I don't care :| I think it's one of the most interesting subjects, Williams and his inspiration sources.

I hear it in the first two notes, but otherwise little more than a similarity of tone and mood. Han Solo and the Princess sounds like a Golden Age film theme to me, of which Mancini himself wrote several, most notably Moon River. And even the first two notes Williams has himself used countless of other times to start melodies with.

--Pelzter

I don't hear much similarity beyond the first few notes.

Maybe he feels it's not a worthy piece to perform, plus he seems to "forget" past works and concentrates on the present.

Well it IS part of his 5 movement TESB suite...

What suite is this? I've never heard of it.

Han Solo and the Princess Concert Version is one of my all time favourite Williams pieces.

I totally didn't expect it when I bought the Gerhardt TESB recording and it was a revelation