New talks on Dumbledore.

Ren

read the full text at mugglenet.com

Its current wish list includes Christopher Lee, 80, the actor who made his reputation in horror films. He is six feet, five inches tall. Lee was considered for a role in the first Harry Potter film, but was too busy playing Saruman the White in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Count Dooku in the most recent instalment of Star Wars.

What do you think of that?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his voice is pretty different, but i don't think he'd be bad. he is an outstanding actor, so maybe he can pull it off. who knows...

Ted, who misses Richard Harris :cry:

I think it should be Patrick Stewart. He can don the disguise and act just like Harris as Dumbledore. He is also not 80 which would then be a factor when it comes to doing the rest of the films. He can be made to look older and he's a very versatiole chameleon like actor.

I think it should be Patrick Stewart.  He can don the disguise and act just like Harris as Dumbledore.  He is also not 80 which would then be a factor when it comes to doing the rest of the films.  He can be made to look older and he's a very versatiole chameleon like actor.

Agreed! ROTFLMAO

I thought Stewart would be a PERFECT Dumbledore from before they even cast the role. As for Lee, I can't see him being a warm, twinkling character. But who knows?

Ray Barnsbury

How bout Sir Richard Attenborough?

He played the grandpa in JP1, and he did the revamped "Miracle on 34th street" as Santa.

He's got this twinkling eyes, and bumbling expression......although, I think he's short..

Kradia, logged out.

Personally, after having thought about this for a little while, think Stewart would probably portray the character most convincingly, and McKellan would probably be the one to do it least convincingly. While all are great actors and wonderful hypotheses, I just think Stewart could pull it off better. Maybe its just the right accent? ROTFLMAO

Stewart's also very keen on being in the Harry Potter movies. There was an interview with him and they asked him about auditioning for the first film and Stewart said he did but he didn't think they liked him for that part. I think it was for quirell. He also said to the audience that if they wanted him they should talk to the powers that be and ask for him to be in it. I think this is, I want to say perfect opportunity, but it seems callous to do so because of the circumstances, so I will say that this is a wonderful opportunity to have Patrick Stewart keep the dumbledore light shining for Richard Harris.

I could live quite happily with Patrick Stewart in the role, but my first choice would be Harris's hell-raising compatriot, Peter O'Toole. He has similar eyes(an important feature of the character) height, build, and voice. In the wig and beard required for the role, he'd look similar enough to Harris that the change of actors wouldn't be an obvious onscreen distraction. Unfortunately, as he is now 70, there are similar age and health concerns to consider.

How bout Sir Richard Attenborough?

We want a wizard, not santa. :banghead: Stewart! Might have to... dub his voice though.

Lee would be great, but he isn't the youngest. I hope he'll be around for a long time still, but he said his big wish is to be able to see the finished ROTK....I don't know if it would be wise to pick him for such a long-term franchise. McKellen would be cool too, but even Lee would be somewhat inappropriate due to him having played Saruman already - with McKellen's Gandalf, it would be even more extreme.

Stewart is a great actor, but somehow I just don't see him as Dumbledore.

Someone mentioned Michael Caine on another thread. I think that idea is a bit weird, I don't see him having Dumbledore's dignity (and I simply can't imagine him with a long beard) - but he DOES have Dumbledore's whackiness.

:banghead: Goldsmith conducts Goldsmith

Lee's official website says this:

Sorry to change the content of this news. Mr Lee has not received official confirmation from Warner Bros and until then, we cannot confim or comment any further.  

Obviously it would be wonderful news and Mr Lee is overwhealmed, but for the time being nothing is certain.

:banghead: Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

Peter O'Toole would be my main choice. He is so versatile and has a wonderful tone of voice.

Romao, whose favorite film is Lawrence of Arabia, tied with Schindler's List.

Mckellen no please. I dont like his 'look' on Gandalf. Dumbledore had a great look as a true mage should be.

Anyway, is it not too ealry to speak about Richard Harris substitute? I find it a little cold.

Anyway, is it not too ealry to speak about Richard Harris substitute? I find it a little cold.

That's what I thought was going to happen. Although some people might not like it...

Justin

No Luke its not cold, Prisoner of Azkaban begins filming in January. That means whoever takes over the role will need prep time.

No disrespect of Mr. Harris, but they have to move quickly when you are dealing with a 100+ million dollar budget.

Mckellen no please. I dont like his 'look' on Gandalf. Dumbledore had a great look as a true mage should be.

Dumbledore is more the kind of "fairy tale" wizard. They made Gandalf the Gray look like an old man on purpose. And Gandalf the White already looks much more powerful. :) Anyway, I think they'd make him look more Harry Potter Dumbledore-like if he was to play that character.

:music: First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)

Dumbledore is more the kind of "fairy tale" wizard. They made Gandalf the Gray look like an old man on purpose. And Gandalf the White already looks much more powerful. :) Anyway, I think they'd make him look more Harry Potter Dumbledore-like if he was to play that character.

:music: First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)

Just put Dumbledore's body in Gandalf's suit and you will have the best mage i have seen in cinema history.

No offense to Peter O'toole but everytime I try to picture him as Dumbledore I get this image of a eccentric disheveled drunken wizard holding a bottle of scotch telling Harry he needs to get out and loosen up a bit. LOL

I would go with Patrick Stewart.

No offense to Peter O'toole but everytime I try to picture him as Dumbledore I get this image of a eccentric disheveled drunken wizard holding a bottle of scotch telling Harry he needs to get out and loosen up a bit.  LOL  

I would go with Patrick Stewart.

Ooops that was me. For some reason I got logged off.

Who cares.Just put a soft spoken tall old guy who can act and put a beard on him...

K.M.Who didn't recognise Richard Harris without his Dumbledore outfit when he saw an interview with him.

I see..... hhhhmmmm... so Lee might do it? I say too old, he might not be well enough to do the whole franchise!!!!! Oh well, I still say Stewart, or Judy Dench.. Ok kidding kidding, Stewart is my main choice.

Stewart is my top choice.

the article said they had originally from the very beginning had asked connery, I could never see connery in that role.

I agree with Joe, it's not cold. They need to get working.

Seriously though, everytime I see Michael York it reminds of Basil Exposition from Austin Powers, so that would greatly diminish my perception of his role as dumbledore.

Christopher Lee palying a good-guy wizard? That's unusual.

yes, i think he definitely looks like Dumbledore. and i think he can pull it off.

Ted, who is wondering what Christopher Lee would look like

Hmm, he really looks like Dumbledore. Might be a great idea after all. :music:

I think that with the passing of Richard Harris, so too should the Harry Potter film franchise.

Uhm....why??

Marian - who would be devastated if that happened.

Oh my gosh, just look at that picture of Stewart. Such warmth in his eyes. They really are twinkling! I will be disappointed if anyone else gets the role. To cast Lee as Dumbledore would be extremely unintelligent, IMHO. He is playing two roles, one an evil wizard, one an evil Jedi, in two movie series that are coming out over the same years as the Potter movies. This would be awkward for audiences, as there would be conflicting images of Lee whenever they watched Potter as opposed to the other series. Sure, you could say that people will know to separate the actor from the character, but I think at least subconciously it will still influence viewers' perceptions. The character of Dumbledore is too important to be affected like that. And like Merkel, I will always think of Austin Powers when I see Michael York. I think Stewart would perfectly embody the character of Albus Dumbledore, and no one else is right for the job.

Ray Barnsbury

From the SciFi Channel's website:

Double To Play Dumbledore?

The British Sunday Mirror tabloid newspaper reported a rumor that Harry Robinson, who was Richard Harris' double in the first two Harry Potter films, will most likely take over the role of Professor Dumbledore in the third film, The Prisoner of Azkaban, according to a report on the Zap2it Web site. "Producers have told Harry there's a very strong chance of him getting the part," an anonymous source told the Mirror. For his part, the 72-year-old Robinson told the tabloid that "it would be my tribute to someone I was very fond of."

Harris, who was also 72, died from complications of Hodgkin's disease in London last weekend. Robinson not only looks like Harris, but can also impersonate his voice, the newspaper reported. Production on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is set to begin in the spring.

I hear Anthony Hopkins is being thrown into the mi. Maybe he can open a bottle of Chianti and have the kids for dinner :)

Just put Dumbledore's body in Gandalf's suit and you will have the best mage i have seen in cinema history.

But Gandalf the Gray wasn't the best wizard in Middle-Earth.

YOU DONT GET IT?

Im speakking about 'looking' not charecter of powerfulness.

The guy from star trek with bearth looks more like gandalf. Same eyes and nose...