Which was your first Williams Album?

ACME

51 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Anyone beside Sharky and me that doesn't purchase soundtrack CDs?

The only CD's I still purchase are for my 'completist' composers (including Williams). Otherwise, I don't really buy them anymore either. But I still have about 1000 of them on my shelf, and if you became interested in this weird artform prior to the late 90s, you really had no choice. I assume you're so young that you only became interested once downloads were commonplace.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

The only CD's I still purchase are for my 'completist' composers (including Williams). Otherwise, I don't really buy them anymore either. But I still have about 1000 of them on my shelf, and if you became interested in this weird artform prior to the late 90s, you really had no choice. I assume you're so young that you only became interested once downloads were commonplace.

I do own about 20 CDs and a whole lot of DVDs and BRs, but I decided to stop purchasing them in order to save precious pocket money. I'm less of a materialist now than I was a few years ago.

First JW album I owned was "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1995. Back then, before we had access to giant libraries of music (Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, etc.) I would memorize every bar of a score before purchasing another. The other Williams essentials soon fell into place, but I was also fascinated with Jerry Goldsmith, David Arnold and early Zimmer around that time. "Crimson Tide" was a great after school CD to listen to loudly on a Sanyo CD/cassette player. I followed filmtracks.com closely in the 90s, and often bought CDs based on Clemenson's recommendations. I am shocked at how little that site has changed between the 90s and the present. It is almost as hideous as it was nearly twenty years ago.

Off topic, but,

Thor, why do you use such a frightening profile picture? Freaks me out every time I glance at your name. Is it from "The Shining?" 

8 minutes ago, EdwardHall said:

Off topic, but,

Thor, why do you use such a frightening profile picture? Freaks me out every time I glance at your name. Is it from "The Shining?" 

Ha, ha...yes. Need to uphold my unpopular profile around these parts! I'm EEEEVIL....MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

'Cause we're living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl
Living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl

- Madonna

I'm slowly trying to get all the important* JW albums on CD. It goes by "batches".

* Important for me is very subjective... album which won an important prize... which was in nomination... which is generally well reviewed by fans... which fall into my tastes... which are extremely good quality reissues (like those expanded sets which are remastered by Mike Matessimo), which was issued at the time of the movie (I'm not into previously unreleased soundtracks), but generally that came out in the post-Jaws era too.

I believe it was the John Williams Conducts John Williams: Star Wars Trilogy CD

81TwWT33N5L._SL1419_.jpg

for years this was my main access to the TIE Fighter attack from A New Hope to the point even now I think of it as "Here they Come!"

It was actually brought for my brother as he was into Star Wars before me but he never touched the CD so I took it on. As I say it tied me over until I got round to getting the OST's. Give it the odd listen every now and then.