Which was your first Williams Album?

ACME

Star Wars in late 1992, followed by ROTJ. Gerhardt's recording of ESB turned me into a fan in the spring of 1993. JP was the first album I bought upon release as a fan and collector.

My first album was Jurassic Park which I actually had on cassette, copied from my cousin's CD. It ran for about 60 minutes and cut off half of the T-Rex Rescue and Finale since we did not buy a longer one for some reason. For a time that was how my experience ended, in mid-action of the raptor attack. :P

I literally wore the cassette out. My cousin also recorded other sci-fi classics on cassette for me among them SW concert pieces. I fell in love with Imperial March rightaway and wore that cassette out as well. It had SW main title, Pricess Leia's Theme, Imperial, Cantina Band and Yoda's Theme on it.

Then I finally got a CD player and with it The Lost World Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, also my first CDs ever.

I'm afraid it was TPM:UE lol. And I thought it was a great album!!

Three months after that I got the SE soundtracks of the OT.

And then, I was VERY dissappointed when I realized that your regular OST doesn't include the whole score!

My first album was Jurassic Park which I actually had on cassette, copied from my cousin's CD.

Seems like a lot of us did that! JURASSIC PARK on cassette, copied from someone else. :)

um i never answered this question in 2002.. so i'll do it now...

A cassette copy of Jurassic park, from a classmate of my sister. He put some ANH from the Anthology cues to fill the 90 minutes.

I must have been 12 or so.

The fist CD i had was a CD-R of the lost world i got in the library. i got two or three more CD from the library.

And my first bought cds were the Star Wars SE's (the whole set) on june 21st, 2000.

My parents mistakenly bought me the double album of The Empire Strikes Back for Christmas 1980 when I was 10. I was really disappointed because I had asked Santa for the single disc version with the narration and dialogue from the movie. Then I actually listened to the album. I was hooked. And 31 years later here I am posting at JWFan.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. My aunt bought it cause I ran around singing Hedwig's Theme and Nimbus 2000 constantly. :P Then I heard he did Star Wars, and I looked him up. Now I own most of his film scores. :)

My first album?

Schindler's List. I actually got the CD even before I had a CD player (which I finally got about a fortnight after getting the album). Yes, I was THAT crazy about the score after hearing it for the first time on the TV broadcast of the Oscars and then seeing the movie in the theater.

My first was the Japanese import of Temple of Doom. The funny thing is, I had no idea what it was, but I had $10 (or whatever it was at the time) to spend, and we had just seen the movie. So here I go, finding something with Indiana Jones on it, thinking it was going to be something really neat like those awesome 24-page book and record sets! Got home and realized that it wasn't anything remotely like what I was expecting. So, I was one really disappointed 12-year-old.

Wasn't until years later that I realized what a bizarrely rare item I had found in a record store in Alabama. And it would still be rare too, if it weren't for you meddling kids! (haha) I still have it, proudly displayed with several other items in my office.

The first I bought "on purpose" was the Spielberg-Williams collaboration, I think.

It was in 1986: E.T. The Extra-terrestrial. I was 15 years old.

E.T., the year it was released, on LP of course; I was 8; a gift from my mom.

My first Williams CD (and first CD), about ten years later, was John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy (and Badalamenti's Twin Peaks along with it).

Ever since then, the first thing I play on anything that can play CDs has always been the recording of Star Wars' main titles on this CD (then Goldsmith's "The Enterprise").

(Gee... Jurassic Park, Hook, The Phantom Menace, ... as first Williams album... this place should be renamed John Williams Kindergarten obs00010.gifobs00131.gif )

obet0001a.gif

Different answer from me: not a damn clue.

Might've been HP:PS, as it's one of the scores that got me into this. On the 28th January 2003 I burnt a CD-R of mp3s of my entire film score collection. 20 mins of that was Potter, and by far the only thing I had from Williams that resembled an album.

The only thing I know for certain is my first physical CD score purchase: Sleepy Hollow. Remains my favourite Danny Elfman score.

My very first was this collection of sci fi music which included Star Wars, 2001, Holst's The Planets and a few more. I was about six and I would use my little tape recorder to record the sound from SW on video, so i could play it without the movie. I was finally given the above mentioned CD.

This thread has been around since 2002, and I've never posted anything!

This is the first Williams album I bought...

post-193-0-90411400-1320274027_thumb.jpg

It featured the Boston Pops playing concert versions of all the biggies: Star Wars, Asteroid Field, ET, Indiana Jones, Jaws, plus renditions of Over the Rainbow and the Pink Panther theme.

It was also the first CD I bought, in 1993. After the first listen, I scooped up the Star Wars anthology and built from there.

• 3 years later...

The first Williams album I listened to was Hook (in a tape recorded from an LP) (also it was the 2nd soundtrack album I had ever heard, after Kilar's Dracula).

I may have been 12-13.

The first Williams cd I purchased (actually a friend brought this from USA, after I told him to look for it), was the 1982 E.T. cd.

(i remember how disappointed I was that it was missing SO MUCH music from the film. And that's why, unlike Thor, I never prefer album presentations.)

Can't remember for sure. I think By Request was the first one I listened to. First one I owned was either the first Harry Potter, the Star Wars Anthology, or Williams on Williams.

I like the dry sound, but nonetheless, I prefer the overall warmth and concert hall-like sound of the prequels (especially TPM as presented on the UE).

I see that I already replied to this thread in 2011, so my own story is on page 2. As many others, it was JURASSIC PARK on copied cassette.

But interesting to note how many of you have the Skywalker STAR WARS CD as your first. This entered my life early on as well, but not through myself. It was the mid 90s. A friend of mine at the time was also a bit interested in film music (I like to think that he was inspired by me, but since he was a few years older than me, I'm guessing that's only part of the truth), and he brought it to our house one day. He used to come over to play computer games with me and my dad. I was already into John Williams and STAR WARS, so I quickly copied the CD to a cassette. I returned to it quite often, and eventually replaced it with a proper CD which I still own. Between that, the Kojian CD (which I also copied to cassette) and the superb Arista box, that made up my original STAR WARS music for a number of years.

I see that I already replied to this thread in 2011, so my own story is on page 2. As many others, it was JURASSIC PARK on copied cassette.

But interesting to note how many of you have the Skywalker STAR WARS CD as your first. This entered my life early on as well, but not through myself. It was the mid 90s. A friend of mine at the time was also a bit interested in film music (I like to think that he was inspired by me, but since he was a few years older than me, I'm guessing that's only part of the truth), and he brought it to our house one day. He used to come over to play computer games with me and my dad. I was already into John Williams and STAR WARS, so I quickly copied the CD to a cassette. I returned to it quite often, and eventually replaced it with a proper CD which I still own. Between that, the Kojian CD (which I also copied to cassette) and the superb Arista box, that made up my original STAR WARS music for a number of years.

After I had listened to Jurassic Park my younger cousin copied some kind of sci-fi compilation for me featuring among the music themes from SW (I wore out the casette just for the Imperial March alone!) and that became my first introduction to the SW music. I had never seen the movies at that time (surprisingly considering their classic status). After getting a CD player when I was 14 I remember saving my money for the RCA Empire Strikes Back album (for obvious reasons, to get the march) which was highly expensive and it was the 3rd CD I ever bought. Obviously I had a collector and completist fever even back then as both the RCA double CD set and the Charles Gerhardt ESB Suite were sold at the local CD store and I immediately, without having next to no info on the discography or different incarnations of this music, went for the RCA set, mostly because it had more music. It is one of my greatest treasures still, that collector's version of ESB. :)

But interesting to note how many of you have the Skywalker STAR WARS CD as your first.

Remember that in 1990, the only available Star Wars OST CDs where the double-CD of Star Wars and the two anemic-simple CDs of ESB and ROTJ. And I say "available" for what it meant in the 80s & 90s... It was before internet!

I was born on 1974, maybe the best year to become a Star Wars fan for life:)

In 1977, I was a baby and I played with Star Wars figurines. During all my childhood, our child games turned around Star Wars.  I was not a teenager, I was not a young adult who collects figurines, I was a child that played with the original Star Wars Toys.  :)

The only Star Wars LPs we had at home was those amazing audio-books (turn the page when you'll hear R2-D2, or something like that.  ;))

00a-cover.jpg

Many years later, the movies came out on VHS, I bought them all.

2411d1361639881-history-star-wars-home-v

And when the 1990 DDD "JW conducts JW Star Wars Trilogy" CD came out in 1990, it was like : WOW!!!

Then, the Anthology boxset came out in 1993.  After that, we had the Special Editions of the movies & soundtracks, etc... 

Well, that's for the chronology :)

So yes, I understand why this 1990 CD was VERY important for many people.

And it's still an essential.

Jurassic Park on cassette 8)

I also had two Elfman cassettes - MFADT v1 and Batman.

When I made the switch to CDs, my first two score albums were Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and Star Wars: Special Edition.

Hmm... as far as CDs go, it was the original Raiders of the Lost Ark Polydor release.

But going back further, I guess it was 1980, somewhat indirectly, with either this...

il_570xN.752855585_rvy2.jpg

Or this 45...

meco-empire-strikes-back-medley-darth-va

meco-force-theme-rso.jpg

Yeah I recently got that album. That is just the weirdest sequencing.