Remakes, Redue's and Reboots...

In this age of remakes, re-dues and re-boots, what movies would you like to see re-done.

I know it's iconic, but I'd love to see The Ten Commandments remade. If for no other reason, what can be done with CGI these days would make the plagues and miracles look really cool.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's iconic, but I'd love to see The Ten Commandments remade. If for no other reason, what can be done with CGI these days would make the plagues and miracles look really cool.

It was recently remade for TV.

What is a redue? Is it anything like a redo?

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of The Wizard of Oz. Not a crappy version like Tin Man (which I didn't see and have actually heard good things about), but a solid filming of Baum's novel. Hopefully the first in a series.

There are remaking Robocop, it seems.

I see no reason for that.

If I'm not mistaken, that movie is actually a sequel. But I'm not a big enough Robocop fan to care one way or another; I'll see it because it's a Darren Aronofsky movie.

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of The Wizard of Oz.

Been done to death already: Star Wars, E.T. and bits of A.I., ...

There are remaking Robocop, it seems.

I see no reason for that.

If I'm not mistaken, that movie is actually a sequel. But I'm not a big enough Robocop fan to care one way or another; I'll see it because it's a Darren Aronofsky movie.

I've read is was a remake, but I could be wrong.

I've heard it's a sequel but that they want to bring back the tone and feel of the first one (Verhoeven). Script supposedly by David Self (Road to Perdition). Morlock will faint!

Self has written almost nothing aside from that 2002 masterpiece, so I haven't gottena sense for him. Can't say I'm happy about going for the tone and feel of the first one, unless that means purely retaining the humor of it. Beyond that, it's a rather drab looking piece.

I thought he meant redux.

Re-do's, redux', redue's....you all got the point. :nono:

Anyways, can you still play the Ten Commandment's drinking game to this new TV version?

What drinking game is that?

Every time someone says "Moses, Moses!" you do a shot or someone says "So let it be written, so let it be done", do a shot. I think it maybe on the Internet somewhere...

I can remember one Christmas eve we played the drinking game with the cartoon of How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Everytime the word "Who" is mentioned you take a drink.

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of The Wizard of Oz.

Been done to death already: Star Wars, E.T. and bits of A.I., ...

Uh, yeah . . . not what I meant.

Also, I fail to see any Oz in E.T. Unless you're referring to the "I want to go home" element, in which case we may as well add Amistad and The Lord of the Rings to your list.

I wish Burton's Alice in Wonderland remake was going to be made with real people, or at least stop motion. And he could do some very cool things if it wasn't funded by Disney.

What drinking game is that?

Every time someone says "Moses, Moses!" you do a shot or someone says "So let it be written, so let it be done", do a shot. I think it maybe on the Internet somewhere...

DeMille talks about it in his prologue to the film.

I wish Burton's Alice in Wonderland remake was going to be made with real people, or at least stop motion. And he could do some very cool things if it wasn't funded by Disney.

Boy, now there's a movie I have no interest in . . . despite being a Burton fan and a Disney fan.

Alice In Wonderland is easily one of my least favorite Disney animated films, and I'm also not a fan of Lewis Carroll's books (what I've read of them; I couldn't make it all the way through). Therefore, this movie strikes me as being a particularly unpleasant experience just waiting to happen. Maybe Elfman will come up with something good; that'd help, at least.

I didn't know Burton is making Alice In Wonderland... Interesting. But then again - not so much. He's doing this one all the time, if you ask me. I don't like his films anymore.

Karol - who would like to see Citizen Kane being remade by Zack Snyder

Also, I fail to see any Oz in E.T.

E.T. is Dorothy, Bryant. and 'three' children will help him to get home. Spielberg cleverly reversed the roles. He turned it around. There's no place like home = E.T. phone home. The line-up of friends saying goodbye is a straight copy. ET's spaceship looks like the balloon Dorothy had to travel with.

Both Spielberg and Lucas have been enormously influenced by The Wizard Of Oz. They made their own variations on it.

E.T. is Dorothy, Bryant. and 'three' children will help him to get home. Spielberg cleverly reversed the roles. He turned it around. There's no place like home = E.T. phone home. The line-up of friends saying goodbye is a straight copy. ET's spaceship looks like the balloon Dorothy had to travel with.

Both Spielberg and Lucas have been enormously influenced by The Wizard Of Oz. They made their own variations on it.

Okay . . . except aren't there, like, five or six children who help E.T. get home? Who is the stand-in for the Wizard? What is the Emerald City?

There are some similarities, but saying that E.T. has much more than that is a serious stretch.

Also, I fail to see any Oz in E.T. Unless you're referring to the "I want to go home" element, in which case we may as well add Amistad and The Lord of the Rings to your list.

Only in LOTR the main character ultimately doesn't go home.

Speaking of which, 10 to 20 years from now, I'd like to see a new version of LOTR.

Okay . . . except aren't there, like, five or six children who help E.T. get home? Who is the stand-in for the Wizard? What is the Emerald City?

There are some similarities, but saying that E.T. has much more than that is a serious stretch.

this has to be the most bizarre discussion of ET I've seen yet.

I'm looking forward to the Wolfman next spring, I like that its a period piece.

I would like a remake of the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I would love a sequel to the movie Them, that supposes that it was real and now 50 years later a new gigantic colony has started to emerge.

Robocop is a remake or reimagining of the original, not a sequel.

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of The Wizard of Oz. Not a crappy version like Tin Man (which I didn't see and have actually heard good things about), but a solid filming of Baum's novel. Hopefully the first in a series.

Yes, something along the lines of Return to Oz that shows the darker side of the world, but less kid-oriented.

I'd like to see the Prequels redone-- from scratch. No Lucas writing the screenplays (story credit will do), no Lucas directing, and no Ben Burtt editing.

E.T. is Dorothy, Bryant. and 'three' children will help him to get home. Spielberg cleverly reversed the roles. He turned it around. There's no place like home = E.T. phone home. The line-up of friends saying goodbye is a straight copy. ET's space ship looks like the balloon Dorothy had to travel with.

Of course, it's more like a variation than a direct remake. Spielberg did not mirrored everything but you do get the drift, I hope.

The family exists of three children: Elliott, Michael and Gertie (Tin Man, Scarecrow, Lion). These are the friends that E.T. makes and that will help the lost visitor in his quest to get back home. Home plays a central role in both movies. An absence of a father is apparent in both movies. Dorothy is the mother figure for Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion. E.T. is sometimes referred to as the missing father figure for Elliot (as is Peter Coyote). Land Of Oz= California. Kansas=Home. I can't find Emerald City and the wizard in E.T. but Spielberg made up for that in A.I. where Emerald City=Rouge City and The Wizard=Dr. Know.

Alex

Stop remaking horror movies, Hollywood. PLEASE! I just might kill someone if it means no more horror remakes are made.

Batman is the only thing I would have wanted rebooted, and it was, so I'm happy with that. I don't care for anything else.

Oh, don't forget the remake of Rain Man. I don't understand why that's happening. Who remakes a Best Picture winner?

Well he'd be the one dumb enough to do it.

Quite frankly most remakes/re-boots end up worse than the original or end adding nothing of value that wasn't already there. Batman is one of the exceptions.

Very true statement. The Machurian Candidate. WHY? The only reason to remake something, as I see it, is to improve the film visually. I do not approve of the George Lucas way though, because he does it unnecessarily.

Give it up, Alex, saying ET is based on The Wizard of Oz is too unbelievable a stretch. The Wizard of Oz is a grand adventure story that takes place in a mythical country with fantastical beings that don't exist. The plot of ET never leaves Elliot's neighborhood, and the woods a few miles up the road isn't quite far enough away.

Dorothy's in her predicament because she's already killed one evil witch, and in order to gain the help of the only person who can send her home, she now has to kill the other witch. Who does ET kill to go home? If I remember correctly, it's ET himself who almost dies, and that takes place after the signal to his spaceship had been sent, so they would still be coming for ET whether he was alive or not.

While the bad guys in both movies are trying to stop the main characters from returning home, let's think about this for a moment. The bad guy in ET is the US government, and they set up quarantine around Elliot's house, and try to study ET, and barring that, they try to stop the kids from letting ET get away. They don't want to kill ET, they want to study him, and there's that Andromeda Strain fear of aliens carrying disease which could wipe out southern California, and a walking talking alien doesn't land in your lap every day. The bad guy in The Wizard of Oz, the Witch of the West, was a legitimate evil character who did want to kill Dorothy the main character, but she is quickly defeated with water. The US government in ET isn't defeated, it's thwarted as Peter Coyote watches ET escape, and the movie ends.

There ARE sequels to The Wizard of Oz. They're the other Oz books that L Frank Baum wrote, like Dorothy in Oz, and Ozma of Oz. But none of them were ever filmed. And as far as remakes of The Wizard of Oz, it's seen several anyways. The Wiz was musical reinvention of it featuring Michael Jackson and Diana Ross. The Muppets had their own Wizard of Oz, and the Sci-Fi channel made a miniseries last year with one of the Deschanel sisters.

And for the record, DeMille's color The Ten Commandments with Heston was a remake of his own black and white The Ten Commandments from the 1920s.

Uhhh... that's not a good idea. Same story, except reversed, seems like the ultimate lack of thought. That's like saying, for a sequel, Elliot gets lost in E.T.'s world and has to get back to Earth.

Yeah, that was a joke.

How about a sequel where Elliot and his friends get kidnapped by evil aliens, and try to contact ET for help?

In 1982, that was Spielberg's planned sequel for ET. Until he realized it was a really, really bad idea.

But it had Zooey in it!

But it had Zooey in it!

So did The Happening.

But it had Zooey in it!

She's cute but a terrible actress. The series wasn't bad, but the ending was very anti-climatic and had the feel of the old "they ran out of money and cut the movie off" trick.

As for Joey's remark about Robocop, for the past week since Arronosky has been officially announced Robocop 4 has been called a sequel set in LA, so its a sequel as far as I'm concerned.

She's cute but a terrible actress.

She is by no means a terrible actress. Jessica Alba is a terrible actress. Zooey has been great in everything I've seen her in, except maybe The Happening, but you can't blame her for she didn't have much to work with.

But it had Zooey in it!

She's cute but a terrible actress. The series wasn't bad, but the ending was very anti-climatic and had the feel of the old "they ran out of money and cut the movie off" trick.

As for Joey's remark about Robocop, for the past week since Arronosky has been officially announced Robocop 4 has been called a sequel set in LA, so its a sequel as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry but the Bat is bat wrong Robocop is a roboboot not a robosequel

I wouldn't have posted if I was sure, you should try it.