Most blatant JW ripoff?

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nono:

That's as bad as NFL Films. They started using music during their hi-lights that changed a few notes to some popular themes.

In a American Zeotrope document on THX 1138 DVD there was playing a slightly altered "Flight to Neverland" cue. At first I thought it was JW, but something was obviously not right with it. I noticed it this week, while watching it with headphones on. Pretty strange.

Karol

Well, there are 2 that come immediately to mind, and as much as it pains me to say it, they are both by McNeely. One might intentional, the other probably not.

The first is from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol 4 "The Phantom Train of Doom". There are several lifts from "Belly of the Steel Beast", which might be intentional. The first several minutes of the cue actually sound like an alternate to "Belly..." And actually, throughout the score there are several other "lifts" from Hook.

The other is a short brass section in "Devil's Slide" from Iron Will. Pretty much straight out of "Desert Chase".

I love McNeely, and again, even hate to mention those, but it's hard not to notice when you are hearin' them.

Jamesyboy

I would think anybody writing new music for anything like Star Wars or Indiana Jones would be absolved for sounding too much like John Williams, for trying to keep a sense of continuity in those universes. Joel McNeely, Clint Bajakian, and Jeremy Soule would be among such musicians who would've been criticized for writing stuff that sounded nothing like Star Wars or Indiana Jones pre-established sounds.

Then there's scores that have a kind of JW vibe to them but aren't rippoffs .Like Giaccino's Medal of Honor scores and Shearmur's Sky Captain.

There's a piece that gets used in trailers, commercials, and other background stuff that is a lightly modified rip-off of "Prologue" from Hook. In fact, I think I've heard it used recently, but I can't remember where. It gets kind of obnoxious.

ABC Family uses that piece when they advertise Harry Potter.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use, you know, music from Harry Potter?

I'm a composer, and I'm currently scoring a feature length Indiana Jones fan film (TREASURE OF THE TEMPLARS), and I'm curious what you all think of it. Is my music just a bad rip-off of JW, or is it too far outside the style to fit with Indiana Jones? I still have over 2/3's of the film to score, and would love to get feedback from people at this early stage.

Click this link to hear the music:

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/643351

I'm planning to release a soundtrack album when the film is completed (I'm guessing late 2008 or early 2009).

For more info/video:

http://georgeshawmusic.com/templar.html

In a American Zeotrope document on THX 1138 DVD there was playing a slightly altered "Flight to Neverland" cue. At first I thought it was JW, but something was obviously not right with it. I noticed it this week, while watching it with headphones on. Pretty strange.

Karol

That is a piece taken from Non Stop Music production library. In my job I have to use a lot of production music libraries (I'm a promo producer for a broadcast television company) and in various occasion I stumbled across many pieces "inspired" by famous film music cues. It's the purpose of a music library: broadcasting and production companies don't want to spend a pooload of money in licensing famous pieces, so you have to search for a piece that sounds like Williams or whatever or that has the same vibe/style.

The first is from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Vol 4 "The Phantom Train of Doom". There are several lifts from "Belly of the Steel Beast", which might be intentional. The first several minutes of the cue actually sound like an alternate to "Belly..." And actually, throughout the score there are several other "lifts" from Hook.

The main action cue of that score is a mix of Belly and Dessert Chase. Cool.

The rest is Hook and i think there was some other rip offs.

Is cool anyway :blink:

Karol

I have heard just the cue describe in a trailer for a Dutch movie. Stefan, do you recall? It was a really shameless rip-off, I wonder if anyone got sued.

Click this link to hear the music:

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/643351

Hm Track 1 doesnt sound like williams at all I think.. well and when I think of Indy I think of Williams - but it sounds more like Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy).. from 1:35 on the deep trombones sound more like a monster movie by gerald fried (I bury the living)

The Love theme sounds pretty nice.. but some chord progressions/twists sound a little weird.. and by that I mean just not right.. but of course you are the creator and its your vision.. ;)

somethimes it reaches the Fifth a little bit "unelegantly"

and the Indy theme is a Williams rip off BUT... show me one person who tries to write a Indiana Jones like theme without copying it.. its impossible

Karol

I have heard just the cue describe in a trailer for a Dutch movie. Stefan, do you recall? It was a really shameless rip-off, I wonder if anyone got sued.

What Dutch movie was this?

There's some obvious usesage of Williams' "Indy's First Adventure" in Joel McNeely's Iron Will.

If you have the Varese Sarabande: A 25th Anniversary Celebration Vol I go to disc 2, track 16.

Karol

What Dutch movie was this?

I tink In Oranje. I know you noticed it too, we discussed it back then.

And then we had the copy paste job for Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World (BBC) using alomost the exact cues from Jurassic Park, with carnivore motiv and all.

And then we had the copy paste job for Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World (BBC) using alomost the exact cues from Jurassic Park, with carnivore motiv and all.

really?

I would like to hear a sample of that :lol:

really?

I would like to hear a sample of that :D

:cool: Yes - I remember commenting on that at the time (that show's a few years old now - assuming you're on about the one with Peter Falk and Bob Hoskins?) - even had great swathes of Williams' TLW score in there too I seem to remember...

really?

I would like to hear a sample of that :D

:cool: Yes - I remember commenting on that at the time (that show's a few years old now - assuming you're on about the one with Peter Falk and Bob Hoskins?) - even had great swathes of Williams' TLW score in there too I seem to remember...

Exactly, that one I meant. It was outrageous. I cannot post samples here, but you can buy the dvd. The movie is certainly entertaining and worth the money, if it were only for the JW soundtrack ;) It is actually my fav dino movie after JP.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Bob-Hoski...3489&sr=8-7

Greg, I never found out which is the great cue where the Pteranodon escapes from the cradle in the end of the movie, and circles the theatre before flying out of the window. It sounds very Williamsesque, but do you recognize it from a certain score?

I haven't seen it since it was on TV...it was very entertaining though and worth tracking down...will maybe get hold of it and remind myself of the bit you describe :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another copy past job, this time from Williams Hook score. It's clear it was on his desk when Trevor Jones wrote this. It's all there, with Neufeld's orchestrations and all, only the brilliant melodies have been altered.

Listen and be amazed of what composers are apparantly allowed to do (the Trevor Jones cue starts from 6:29):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BSl0oS0En4

Here's another copy past job, this time from Williams Hook score. It's clear it was on his desk when Trevor Jones wrote this. It's all there, with Neufeld's orchestrations and all, only the brilliant melodies have been altered.

Listen and be amazed of what composers are apparantly allowed to do (the Trevor Jones cue starts from 6:29):

Who knows, maybe he had in his desk Mcneelys' track from Indiana Jones and the phantom train of doom, since the track coincidentically also involves a balloon!

Wow, that is really crazy similiar.

I may have to get Around the World in 80 Days. Despite its lack of originality, I like it.

Wow, that is really crazy similiar.

I may have to get Around the World in 80 Days. Despite its lack of originality, I like it.

Of course, it's John Williams :lol:

Two John Williams "Rip-offs" which really stand up on their own, are of course Bill Conti's Masters of The Universe, and Jerry Goldsmith's theme for King Solomon's Mines.

The Conti stuff is a little hard to completely label as a williams rip off, but I guess Star Wars and Superman are definitely rolled into one for that main theme, and of course the references to Holst echo the similar references Williams made in Star Wars, making Skeletor's "storm troopers" seem even more familiar!

And as for King Solomon's Mines, I don't think anyone can deny that Canon were setting out to make an Indiana Jones film. Just without the script, cast or budget. But I love Jerry Goldsmith's music for the film. There are even days when I struggle to decide if I prefer his theme over the Raiders March.

But I feel a little mean calling them rip offs. Obviously heavily influenced though.

Two John Williams "Rip-offs" which really stand up on their own, are of course Bill Conti's Masters of The Universe, and Jerry Goldsmith's theme for King Solomon's Mines.

Is that the one with Patrick Swayze?

• 5 weeks later...

Listen that : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cW1_JG3Zc

Hook and a french "comedy". ^^

Listen that : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cW1_JG3Zc

Hook and a french "comedy". ^^

wow the french can't sing in time ;)

Is that CHrist. Clavier?? my gosh I can't watch this guy anymore....