The OFFICIAL 2008 Olympics thread

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the stadium look? Seem like from the outside you can't get alot of good skycam shots of what's going on in the stadium.

The Skycam system relies on cables hung in the interior of the stadium. The stadium's outside look is of no importance.

I see. I was wondering how they were going to work that out.

How's the stadium look? Seem like from the outside you can't get alot of good skycam shots of what's going on in the stadium.

The Skycam system relies on cables hung in the interior of the stadium. The stadium's outside look is of no importance.

Is that the same system they used for the Euro Cup?

Because that had some great shots.

I was impressed by the technology seen in the stadium last night, the parts I saw were very cool looking. I can't take too much of the "performance" parts of the ceremonies, too artsy-fartsy for me. I did have the parade of nations on for a while last night, I actually really enjoyed it and got pretty excited for these games. I didn't see the torch lighting though, early night for an early morning.

Let's see, the choices this morning are...women's volleyball or badmition. Yeesh.

Ok, well so far I haven't heard NBC use any of the JW music for it's network broadcast of the Olympics. Just Bugler's Dream. Although, USA Network did bumber their coverage with Olympic Fanfare and Theme.

USA Basketball owned China...one step closer to the gold!!!

no they are not

The three summer ones are, Call of the Champions is simply decent. I don't think the '88 piece The Olympic Spirit gets the respect it deserves. It's the least of the three, but it's still very, very good.

I've heard lots of Williams bumpers.

Maybe they're saving the JW stuff for the primetime broadcast on the NBC network.

So far from what I've heard, NBC is using Bugler's Holiday (and that wimpy one John Newton Howard wrote for them for the Athens Games), USA is using Olympic Fanfare and Theme and MSNBC is using Summon the Heroes. No Call of the Champions or Olympic Spirit yet.

And, yes, Olympic Spirit doesn't get the respect, or airtime, it deserves.

Man, the swimming relay was absolutley fantastic, the most nerve racking event I've seen so far this year. What amazed me is that the

5th place team still broke the record.

That Frenchman was a real jerk, I can't believe he was only competing so he could beat the USA. I feel bad for the rest of the French team, they're going to get a bad wrap as a whole because of one man's idiotic comments.

Phelps is

two away from having the most gold medals of all Olympiads, I hope he gets all 8.

Thanks! I'd like a recording, as well! It's very repetitive (at least what I've heard so far on TV), but I do like it.

Does anyone know what the music is that plays during the medal ceremonies, prior to the National Anthem?

That's Tan Dun's theme. Anyone who's got to record it?

Hey, the race wouldn't have been half as exciting if I'd known that

the Americans won.

Don't they play them live?

Still, I don't always get a chance to watch them live.

The time difference is exactly 12 hours on the east coast, so the morning events are broadcast live in the evening here, usually starting about 9 PM my time (Central). I've seen all of Phelp's finals live, as well as the men's team gymnastics last night. And I know that the US/China baskeball game was later in the night there, so it was mid-morning our time. No worse than the Open Championship (the real name for the so-called British Open).

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/...ent_8990028.htm

Thanks! I'd like a recording, as well! It's very repetitive (at least what I've heard so far on TV), but I do like it.
Does anyone know what the music is that plays during the medal ceremonies, prior to the National Anthem?

Phelps

has 4/8 medals, he's got the most gold medals than any other Olympian, but he seemed rather dissapointed when he saw his results in the 200 fly.

And I hope Bernard-I'll-smash-the-Americans enjoyed his 5 minutes of fame, 5 minutes of holding the world record.

I like You and Me better ,but the version with full orchestra and choir when they lit the flame , not the official song.Finally found a way to record that segment off a Internet broadcast ,but the commentators are blabbing all over it. Don't they learn to shut the hell up when there's a musical number

I heard about that injury from last night and no I don't want to see it.

I still have flashbacks to Theismann's injury on Monday Night Football, seeing that live was bad enough.

Oh I found the link to the French swimmer's naked pics.

I don't want to see any limbs breaking. Like Mark I still have horror flashbacks to Joe Theisman's injury and the way they kept looking at it. Lets look at it from this angle, lets look at it from ground level.

How bout lets show some respect to the guy who just suffered a most horrific injury, and not look at all.

Is she the one with the internet pictures?

No, but close enough.

Giggity!

I don't want to see any limbs breaking. Like Mark I still have horror flashbacks to Joe Theisman's injury and the way they kept looking at it. Lets look at it from this angle, lets look at it from ground level.

How bout lets show some respect to the guy who just suffered a most horrific injury, and not look at all.

I still, to this day, wait for some diver to bang their head off the diving board like Greg Lugaus did years ago every time I watch the diving. That was just horrible.