Batman Begins vs. The Dark Knight

Henry B

Batman Begins vs. The Dark Knight  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which film do you prefer?

• Batman Begins (2005)
    • The Dark Knight (2008)

Both good, but I don't see how anyone could seriously say that TDK wasn't the vastly superior movie. Nolan has yet to make a bad film.

That's open for debate.

To me this is no contest but there are those who think BB is a superior/better film.

Both films get worse on repeat viewings, and while two weeks ago I'd say TDK was clearly superior, now (and 2 further viewings later) I'd say its TDK by a hair's breadth, and even then its just because of Joker.

Batman Begins was decent, nothing more. The Dark Knight will be the first non-Superman comic book movie I've ever even thought about buying on DVD. Though I reserve the right to sell it back if it loses it's magic after a few more viewings.

BB was good for 1 viewing, and the to get rid of the dvd.

TDK was good enough for me to see twice, so its a much better film.

Dang, so much hate for Begins. Personally, I loved the first one. I've seen it many times, and I enjoy it thoroughly. The second one is great, and I'm trying to go to see it again. At the moment, though, I think for sheer enjoyability, Begins may take the cake. Despite what others have said, TDK very much feels like its in the middle of a saga, and the darkness and cliffhanger quality of its events and ending made it harder for me to thoroughly gush about it when I came out of the theater. Begins, in its own way, feels a little more stand-alone (and of course this was touched on in the TDK thread), and it has that great balance of the necessary darkness with the hope and optimism that Bruce/Batman holds onto, and I just really enjoy it.

I'm not going to vote until I've seen TDK at least one more time, but right now, Begins has the edge for me.

I think that The Dark Knight is the better film, but that's not a slight against Batman Begins; I love them both. I only wish we could get a Superman movie that was that good; I've always been a bigger fan of Superman than Batman. And yes, that has nothing to do with anything. I'll shut up now.

I only wish we could get a Superman movie that was that good;

We did back in 1978.

:)

Heh. Good point.

Batman Begins. That one is terrific. Not that Dark Knight is terrible, but it is too terrifying.

At my theatre, I expected us to get complaints and refund requests from parents whose children had been scared by the movie, but I haven't heard about any yet. I'm surprised; I figured that between the Joker and Two-Face, there'd be some kids peeing in their pants. I probably would have when I was a kid, but then, I was afraid of everything.

I think TDK is superb film, probably much better than the first, but, at the same time, BB is probably more easily enjoyable, as a summer film. And in that regard it's more watchable. I like both, so I'm not voting.

Karol - waiting for the third viewing of TDK

I can't decide.

Begins is easily more focused. It has a tidier storyline, character arch, etc. The other thing it has on TDK is that it's actually about Batman, who was only a supporting character in TDK.

Okay, maybe I can decide. But it sure wasn't easy.

The other thing it has on TDK is that it's actually about Batman, who was only a supporting character in TDK.

That isn't true. He's given much less to do in this one yes, but he's still the main character. It is a Batman film, just a different one than Begins.

The other thing it has on TDK is that it's actually about Batman, who was only a supporting character in TDK.

That isn't true. He's given much less to do in this one yes, but he's still the main character. It is a Batman film, just a different one than Begins.

During most of the scenes with Batman I was just waiting for the Joker to show up. It may be a Batman film, but Batman is far from the most interesting character.

Not really sure which one I like better. Certain scenes from Batman Begins I just love, like Bruce's talk with Carmine Falcone in the restaurant and the scenes with Bruce's father. I think the film's novelty is part of its appeal. I couldn't help but think, "Ooh, it's Scarecrow!" or "So that's how they made the Bat-signal." And you have to love "I'm Batman." I never had such a sense of wonder watching The Dark Knight. I also liked Alfred's role in Begins; he just didn't have much to do in The Dark Knight. Sure, the script was cheesy at times (all those regurgitations of earlier lines), but somehow it all worked marvelously. Great direction.

You must not be a fan, then.

I dislike BB, I am a big fan of TDK. But I do not think it is a masterpiece, and I can admit that it does have flaws. One of them being a main character that is only slightly interesting.

You must not be a fan, then.

I dislike BB, I am a big fan of TDK. But I do not think it is a masterpiece, and I can admit that it does have flaws. One of them being a main character that is only slightly interesting.

Not a fan of the movies, a fan of the character.

I used to love Batman, but now my only exposure to him has been through these films and Burton's. And in the recent film, the character of Batman is slightly interesting, but not even that when compared to the Joker.

For me, Batman Begins is an intense, broody film full of flawed characters - it reminds me why I was always fascinated by the characters of Bruce Wayne and Batman, and on top of that it's a thumping good movie....a decent score would have helped a lot though! Tha Dark Knight is a great comic-book movie, but misses out on almost all that made BB the film it is....there are glimmers, but the heart ain't there....

Begins is easily more focused. It has a tidier storyline, character arch, etc.

Wouldn't the first movie in any film series tend to be more of a self-contained story than any of its sequels? If it does great, then you follow it up with sequels that take bigger risks with its characters, and introduce far grander storylines, and maybe even some hanging plot threads to be wrapped up in a potential third act? That way if it tanks, you don't alienate viewers even more with a crappy movie that doesn't even have an ending.

Since Batman Begins ignored the Burton/Schumacher films as a reboot, it had to be its own character origin story, which left just about enough room for a few compact villains and a storyline to wrap it all up nicely. As with any comic book movie, there would always be the possibility of a sequel, since there would be dozens of issues to tap for movie ideas, and Batman offers these and more. Tack the nice ending on about the Joker's calling card, and you set yourself up for a sequel, TDK. Or if you don't make TDK or any other Batman movie, one could argue (and it's a VERY big stretch) that somehow, Burton's Joker Batman would be a nonlinear sequel to Batman Begins. That didn't happen because Nolan and friends "knew" that Begins would not flop, and so we have a potential trilogy on our hands.

It's hard to pick. I saw Begins about three times and don't see the need to watch it again, and I will watch TDK again at least one or two more times.

I think the way that Batman's voice was modulated to be even deeper than normal made me glad that he got less screen time in this one than all the other characters combined, because it really started to get irritating.

I never really cared from BB until DK came out, then I went back and re-listened to it and now I appreciate it more. That being said, DK is a better listen.

I never really cared from BB until DK came out, then I went back and re-listened to it and now I appreciate it more. That being said, DK is a better listen.

We're talking movie, not score.

Well I saw TDK a second time .I would not sit through it again .It should have been over by the hospital scene and the score came across as even more loud and obnoxious.

K.M.Who somehow posted this in the wrong thread

The problem with both Batman and Bruce Wayne is that they are very limited characters.

I disagree. There's lot more potential to the double role he has in society, but like in James Bond, they don't work it out. TDK was entirely about the joker, Batman played a mere sidrole. I would have loved a more Batman focussed movie.

Batman Begins. That one is terrific. Not that Dark Knight is terrible, but it is too terrifying.

The Godfather is too violent, The Dark Knight is too terrifying... Do you not like serious movies?

Well, movies don't have to have violence to be serious. Maybe movies that have it have the biggest psychological impact on you but that doesn't mean it's a good movie per se. Also, movies that have violence, are not automatically serious. One can hardly call TDK a serious movie.

I don't know how about you, but I like movies that entertain me. Movies that scare me to death or that disgust or shock me, I rather see not.

The problem with both Batman and Bruce Wayne is that they are very limited characters.

I disagree. There's lot more potential to the double role he has in society, but like in James Bond, they don't work it out. TDK was entirely about the joker, Batman played a mere sidrole. I would have loved a more Batman focussed movie.

funny much of the movie was about Harvey Dent, I miss the one you saw.

I'm going to have to agree with Joey.

Joker and Batman were really in the backdrop in comparison to Dent, who was in every season save for a few. On the side of the Joker it worked, because he dominated every scene in spirit, but he actually was there really only a very few times.

But anyways TDK > BB.

I didn't think Begins was the best thing since sliced bread it was satisfying, but Dark Knight was indeed vastly superior.

What I really enjoyed about the movie was also the fact that it was extremely independent of BB. It's been a long time since a film series has managed to make both self-contained and overlapping stories effectively. The serialized film thing was getting a bit annoying.

My goodness, you fellows are missing the obvious:

The Dark Knight is entirely about Bruce Wayne. The Joker and Harvey Dent (not Two-Face, mind you, just plain old Harvey Dent) represent the two extreme ends of Batman's psyche. Every little thing that is said or done by or about either of them has a direct reflection upon Bruce/Batman.

It's a really, really good movie. The best of the year thus far (though I might change my mind about that whenever I get a chance to see WALL*E again).

To be honest, I do not like these Cristohper Nolan "Batman" films too much. I could not take "Batman Begins" seriously, though I can say that I enjoyed "The Dark Knight" (I think the beginning is the best part, along with The Joker's "magic trick"). Many people would brobably be angered by this comment, but my favorite "Batman" film is "Batman Returns", directed by Tim Burton. I really liked Danny Elfman's score, which I cannot say the same for these newer "Batman" films.

Yeah it's almost the best movie ever made.

No way!

I thought you could tell irony :remybussi:

To be honest, I do not like these Cristohper Nolan "Batman" films too much. I could not take "Batman Begins" seriously, though I can say that I enjoyed "The Dark Knight" (I think the beginning is the best part, along with The Joker's "magic trick"). Many people would brobably be angered by this comment, but my favorite "Batman" film is "Batman Returns", directed by Tim Burton. I really liked Danny Elfman's score, which I cannot say the same for these newer "Batman" films.

I must admit I like Batman Forever the best, the one with Val Kilmer and Nicole Kidman.

Many people would brobably be angered by this comment, but my favorite "Batman" film is "Batman Returns", directed by Tim Burton. I really liked Danny Elfman's score, which I cannot say the same for these newer "Batman" films.

You'll get no argument from me there.