Who wrote this Olympic Theme?

indy4

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.....but the edit is so bad that it seemed just a litle pointless.....I would have preferred a complete recording of the Arnaud piece or a fresh recording of the Arnaud/Williams mash-up than what we got on that CD....

Where can we get a copy of just Williams piece, without the bugler's dream intro? (As in, what CD's include it?)

All the CD's I'm aware of have the edited version.

There are a couple - the only one that I can remember off-hand is the "By Request" CD though that suffers from it's own slightly dodgy edit...I'm sure others will know of more sources though....

Don't get me wrong - I like the Arnaud piece - I just don't think it's well represented on what is otherwise a good CD....

By Request has it.

I still have my cassette for the 1984 Summer Olympics, which has the original recording, duh ;). I think Miguel mentioned that a CD for the 84 games was released in Japan.

For only 89 cents on amazon, I just might have to get that "By Request" cd.

Definetly--it is the CD that got me interested in film scores, and there's not one wasted track. Every single cue is fanastic!

Williams also recorded his own adapted William-ised version of Bugler's Dream 4 years ago .The only place I heard it is the Athens Olympic internet promo.

.....but the edit is so bad that it seemed just a litle pointless.....I would have preferred a complete recording of the Arnaud piece or a fresh recording of the Arnaud/Williams mash-up than what we got on that CD....

Are you sure it's an edit?

I've always thought it was the one recording? Not that I know for sure, but it never occured to me that the two pieces were edited.

Williams performed the piece in London in 1998 and the transition sounded the same to me.

Where can we get a copy of just Williams piece, without the bugler's dream intro? (As in, what CD's include it?)

All the CD's I'm aware of have the edited version.

Besides the Kunzel/Telarc version already mentioned, here are three more re-recordings of "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" without the tacked-on Arnaud/"Bugler's Dream" (all three are available from emusic's site):

• Gomalan Brass Quintet (self-titled CD) (link)
  • U.S. Navy Band (CD: The Dream Goes On) (link) [CD also includes "America, The Dream Goes On")
  • "The Massed Bands and Fanfare Trumpeters" (CD: The Music of John Williams) (link)

And yes, there was a Japanese CD release of the 1984 Official Album:

olymp84b.jpg