Alexandre Desplat scores Curious Case

QMM

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've discussed this in another thread, I believe. I don't really like Desplat, I just hope Fincher doesn't disappoint. I don't understand why he doesn't continue with Howard Shore, he has no projects this year.

I'll take a Desplat score any day over most of what's available composer-wise in Hollywood at the moment. He's got his own sound and I personally like how he writes music that is busy yet still has a clarity to it. Hmmm, what's that called...oh wait FORMAL EDUCATION! ;)

Yeah, Desplat is quite a breath of fresh air in today's film music. His score for The Golden Compass is amazingly rich with themes and motifs. Love it.

Jamesyboy

Yeah, Desplat is quite a breath of fresh air in today's film music. His score for The Golden Compass is amazingly rich with themes and motifs. Love it.

Jamesyboy

I couldn't manage even a shred of liking for that movie, but I do recall thinking that the score was pretty good. Desplat's okey-doke in my book.

I'm totally with Dave on Desplat. The best new voice to come to film music in a while. His orchestras are actually devided into sections, with each one having something specific to do, a rare thing nowadays.

Morlock- who does not in any way mean to denigrate Messers. Giacchino and Marianelli, whom he holds in great esteem as well

Ooh! I have seen the trailers for this and it looks quite good. Didn't realize Desplat was scoring, he is one of the few of the newer set that I follow. Very much looking forward to hearing what he does with it.

His scores usually are well-crafted with really nice detail and orchestration, I remember being impressed that his great score for Girl With a Pearl Earring had the rare credit of "Composed, Conducted, and Orchestrated By".

Is anyone familiar with his earlier scores for French films? Any worth recommending?

Can't believe Golden Compass slipped by me, I was just thinking of renting that movie this week. I will have to hear that one.

Can't believe Golden Compass slipped by me, I was just thinking of renting that movie this week. I will have to hear that one.

Just remember: this score needs time. Listen carefully for it is one of the most detailed scores in a while, but very delicate at the same time. On the surface it might sound as a typical modern fantasy score, but that's just not true. Don't judge it by the first listen, it's one of those that have to slowly sink in. It's a rewarding music.

Karol - waiting impatiently for CCOBB.

Just remember: this score needs time. Listen carefully for it is one of the most detailed scores in a while, but very delicate at the same time. On the surface it might sound as a typical modern fantasy score, but that's just not true.

I would be a happy camper if a typical modern fantasy score would sound like 'Golden Compass'. It has the elegance and thematic integrity of the old Williams and Goldsmith genre scores. If only Desplat would make a good concert suite out of it, it would be appreciated more. Only his action music is a bit on the wee side.