Suggestions for music for travelling.

BurgaFlippinMan

Well, this Saturday I begin my long (20 plus hours) flight to the US to pursue my degree. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a 'flying' playlist. ROTFLMAO Thanks!

Burga - Has Flying from E.T. covered

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about particularly "flighty" music, then off the top of my head...

"Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park

"Remembering Childhood" from Hook

"Mercury, the Winged Messenger" from The Planets

"Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity" from The Planets

"Main Titles and Takeoff" from The Rocketeer

"The Flying Circus" from The Rocketeer

"Rocketeer to the Rescue/End Titles" from The Rocketeer

If you're talking about particularly "flighty" music, then off the top of my head...

"Remembering Childhood" from Hook

"Mercury, the Winged Messenger" from The Planets

"Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity" from The Planets

"Main Titles and Takeoff" from The Rocketeer

"The Flying Circus" from The Rocketeer

"Rocketeer to the Rescue/End Titles" from The Rocketeer

My pick:

"Flight to Neverland" from Hook

"Jolly Roger" from Independence Day

"Superman March" from Superman

"The Asteroid Field" from Empire Strikes Back

"Flying Theme" from E.T.

"Over the Moon" From E.T.

"The Balloon Sequence" from Witches of Eastwick

"Hedwig's Theme" from Sorcerer's Stone

As far as non-film score music goes I find Bruce Hornsby, The Commodores and Van Halen (With Sammy Hagar) makes for some great traveling music.

When I travel or have lots of time to kill by listening to music, I like to check out stuff I might not ordinarily listen to. If I had to sit and listen to nothing but music I already loved for hours on end, I'd probably go insane.

I just got back from a 3 hour long car ride. On my playlist was a bit of rock and a fair bit of film music. For the film music it was mainly themes such as Angela's Ashes and Seven Years in Tibet but mainly some action music like Battle of the Heroes and Battle of Yavin/Hoth. With those my mom would occasionally glance over to make sure I was air conducting and not having a seizure. But those more fast tempo-ed pieces really helped the ride.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I have some of them. :) Building my playlist now. I'll be flying in about 12 hours. I'm a tad nervous (this is my first time flying alone and I'll be VERY far from home for a long long time). But oh well, I'm looking forward to school. ;)

For really long, late car treks, I find that listening to soundtracks often puts me to sleep. I need some kind of loud rock music that I can sing to to keep me alert.

...and then I read the thread, and found out we're talking about plane rides. That's a completely different kind of airplane, all together.

Last three plane rides I took were only midway across the USA, and I didn't even take a CD player, and don't own an ipod. I slept, read the magazine, or hoped for a window seat, and then just watched for good opportunities to take photos of the wing, sky, clouds, or ground. Many turned out pretty good.

The Crash - Final Destination :pukeface:

Seriously ,there are tons of great tracks but I find my self listening to ET-Adventures on Earth, TESB the OST and also Tchaikovsky.

I don't have an mp3 player at the mo and it sucks traveling without one :blink:

In general classical music isn't very suitable for the plane, since the dynamics vary too much. Neither a lot of Williams music would be easily hearable above a plane's noise.

20 hours? That's a long one....I know you're there by now but hope all goes well :pukeface:

If it were me, I would screw the music I think and just watch a whole ton of Doctor Who episodes on my iPod (that's enough time for 2 complete series!) :blink:

In general classical music isn't very suitable for the plane, since the dynamics vary too much. Neither a lot of Williams music would be easily hearable above a plane's noise.

It's also hard to listen to a lot of soundtracks while driving my car with other people as passengers, since they dynamics vary so much that the volume needs constantly adjusted to hear it, then not go deaf, then hear it again, now it's too loud. The LOTR CR are like this, with long stretches of quietness punctuated by very loud sections. If I'm alone, then it's not so bad, I keep it loud.

Which reminds me, I need to edit my CD rip of Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean," and boost the volume of John Bonham's intro:

We've had four already but now we're steady, and then they went one, two, three, four...

I don't know why I love that, but I do. Making it audible in my car means the beginning of the song rips my speakers out.

well, I arrived at West Lafayette on Saturday 6.30pm Eastern time. Flight went to plan and I even met the WWE wrestler The Undertaker at Atlanta (he was on the same flight) and took a picture with him. In the end I did not listen to much as I spent more time watching movies on the plane. Haha. But as for classical music, it really depends on the earphones in question, dad gave me one of those Shure ones with pretty damn good noise blocking earbud foam and it worked perfectly. ROTFLMAO

"The Girl's Dance" (aka "Dance of the Maidens") from Prokofiev's The Stone Flower ballet has become a sentimental tradition for me whenever I undertake a journey of life-changing significance.

Actually, this entire ballet is magnificent from start to finish, so it makes great travel music. Get the Jurowski recording ... I'd wager any Williams fan will love it.

• 6 years later...

Yea that's pretty weak.

Honestly I did'nt saw the date. But you cannot blame me to use the search engine.