Vangelis vs Zimmer

Quintus

Vangelis vs Zimmer  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Vangelis
    • Hans Zimmer
    • I can't stand either's music

They both like the sound of synth, but who sounds best?

My favourite Vangelis cue would probably be Conquest of Paradise.

My favourite Zimmer cue would probably be The Battle, from Gladiator.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving Miss Daisy, Rain Man, The Lion King, Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, Hannibal, Da Vinci Code, As Good As It Gets...

Zimmer.

Vangelis for Blade Runner and China.

What's China?

Morlock- who generally thinks that Vangelis sounds like high-minded muzak

I like Vangelis, but he can get a little boring. I bought the 3 disc set of Blade Runner, and I don't I ever got through the entire package. Chariots Of Fire is good, and his best score for me would be 1492.

I never listened to Alexander, but I'm sure it isn't anything special.

Really? You'd even extract the knife you placed in Barnard Herrmann's back and hire him over Ramin Djawadi?

P.S. Happy birthday, Hitch! 109 years young.....how does it feel? :remybussi:

Zimmer. Next question.

If I had to be at a navigation point (VOR) at a certain time (say 3pm and it's currently 2pm) and I was 60 miles away, how do I determine the speed I would need to travel to get there at 3pm?

I'm not too familiar with either ones work, but if we are talking about just film music I have to go with Zimmer. Vangelis' talent is limited to certain types of film scores, he was well "casted" for Bladerunner and that's why his score works so well. I think Zimmer has the capability of writing good film scores if he really wanted to.

Zimmer. Next question.

If I had to be at a navigation point (VOR) at a certain time (say 3pm and it's currently 2pm) and I was 60 miles away, how do I determine the speed I would need to travel to get there at 3pm?

Simply answered. Devide the distance you need to travel by the amount of hours you must get there by, and drive that many miles per hour. To demonstrate with your example: You need to travel 60 miles. Devide that by the amount of hours you have alloted yourself to travel -in this case, 1- and you have your answer: 60 Miles per hour.

I am sorry for the temporary blindess caused by my blindingly dazzling power of question-answering.

Next question.

I don't know enough Vangelis to make this comparison. Besides, the one score for which I know he used an orchestra, he had to get one of those guys who conducts the Prague PO to do all the 'real' orchestrations.

I think Vangelis is OK for his own stuff. Blade Runner was a happy accident and I heard the famous choral track was stolen from one of his students,

and Chariot of Fire it , well,....sucks

So it has to be Zimmer who at least scored Prince of Egypt (which I love) amongst some other decent scores

Harder than first thought. Some Zimmer is really good, some not. I don't know much Vangelis outside of BLADE RUNNER, but I am a huge fan of that score. I'll say Vangelis because I don't think Zimmer has ever even come close to something like "Memories of Green."

Difficult choice. I value them pretty the same, they've both written scores that I like and ones that I hate. Overall it would have to go to Zimmer though, just because he's written more tolerable stuff. Vangelis has has reached some good heights before, however.

They both like the sound of synth, but who sounds best?

My favourite Vangelis cue would probably be Conquest of Paradise.

My favourite Zimmer cue would probably be The Battle, from Gladiator.

My favourite Vangelis cue would be March With Me.

My favourite Zimmer cue would be Chevaliers de Sangreal.

Hm, difficult. Zimmer I choose though, he hax a slight better ear for orchestration.

I don't know enough Vangelis to make this comparison. Besides, the one score for which I know he used an orchestra, he had to get one of those guys who conducts the Prague PO to do all the 'real' orchestrations.

It's true. Most of Vangelis sounds big only in the synthesizer version. As soon as it is performed by an orchestra the effect is totally gone. This is what I meant with my orchestration comment.

Vangelis without a doubt. He hasn't written anything even remotely interesting since the late 80s, but some of his 70s and early 80s material was astonishing.

Soil Festivities

Albedo 0.39

Earth

The Dragon

L'Apocalypse des Animaux

China

all great!

Beaubourg (especially Part 1) is also a must for true synth lovers, pixie. It's Vangelis masterfully improvising on vintage gear. At first the album sounds a bit experimental but there's a lot of melody and harmony. Too bad the RCA label didn't do a good job of remastering their Vangelis catalog. OTOH, China (Polydor) sounds really good. Vangelis does some wonderful things on Short Stories (the first Jon and Vangelis album) too. The music on Odes (Irene Papas) is how the score of Alexander should have sounded. All the Polydors sound good, BTW.

Alex

I voted Vangelis, mainly just because I love Blade Runner. But Chariots of Fire is also good.

I don't hate Zimmer's music the way a lot of people seem to, but he's never done anything that lit my fire, either.

I love Zimmer's Thin Red Line and like many of his other scores. I love Vangelis' Blade Runner and I'm unfamiliar with most of his other works... so in this instance I am not really able to answer the question.

I don't know who is the real author but I think that Crimson Tide is one of the most important modern score, it opens the doors of modernism and new style writing in film music.

However Vangelis has the most original sound, as well as he play and arrange his self music (none can't replay or reproduce his works), only helped by his long-time friend sound engineer Frederick Rousseau. He didn't write or read music at all.

inspiration comes from minimalism, human voices, popular dances and orchestra imitation.

I don't know who is the real author but I think that Crimson Tide is one of the most important modern score, it opens the doors of modernism and new style writing in film music.

Sorry but Crimson Tide is embarrassing. It was on the telly the other day and it sounded outdated and overdone in every sense of the way.

I think Zimmer is very good but that's a terrible score.

If it opened any doors are probably doors to the appalling state of modern film scoring

However Vangelis has the most original sound, as well as he play and arrange his self music (none can't replay or reproduce his works)

Thank God for that LOL

However Vangelis has the most original sound, as well as he play and arrange his self music (none can't replay or reproduce his works)

If none can't replay or reproduce his works, that means everybody can replay or reproduce his works. Huh?

If Vangelis opened the doors to modern score writing, then you must hold Andrew Powell's electronic garbage score to Ladyhawke in pretty high esteem, eh?

Sorry but Crimson Tide is embarrassing. It was on the telly the other day and it sounded outdated and overdone in every sense of the way.

If it opened any doors are probably doors to the appalling state of modern film scoring

I caught it on tv too the other night, BBC1 I think. I 100% disagree with you.

Crimson Tide is a great action score. The only argument I hear against Zimmer's music is the damn synths. Synths this, synths that... who gives a flying mmmkay what instruments a composer uses. I've never heard any real arguments against the actual writing, just the way it sounds.

Really? You'd even extract the knife you placed in Barnard Herrmann's back and hire him over Ramin Djawadi?

P.S. Happy birthday, Hitch! 109 years young.....how does it feel? :)

I feel.....young.

Beaubourg (especially Part 1) is also a must for true synth lovers, pixie. It's Vangelis masterfully improvising on vintage gear. At first the album sounds a bit experimental but there's a lot of melody and harmony. Too bad the RCA label didn't do a good job of remastering their Vangelis catalog. OTOH, China (Polydor) sounds really good. Vangelis does some wonderful things on Short Stories (the first Jon and Vangelis album) too. The music on Odes (Irene Papas) is how the score of Alexander should have sounded. All the Polydors sound good, BTW.

Alex

Beaubourg, indeed! Very good music. Strangely it's one of the few Vangelis albums I can listen to no matter what mood I'm in (which is odd because it's the album most Vangelis fans say they have to be in a certain mood to play it).

really? :blink:

So the horrific, bordering to hilarious Russian Choral classical piece for when the submarine submerges for the first time were OK?

Or the extra cheese on the tacos for when the main General gave a speech was OK.

How about the scene for when it was showing the dead man from the kitchen fire? It was accompanied by an full over-emotional orchestral/choral piece.

Was that OK?

It put me off watching the rest of the film to be honest.

And the synth sounds. :pukeface: They just don't age right. They sound really outdated.

That's not an attack on Zimmer. The guy is really good but that score is just too much

Crimson Tide is a great action score. The only argument I hear against Zimmer's music is the damn synths. Synths this, synths that... who gives a flying mmmkay what instruments a composer uses. I've never heard any real arguments against the actual writing, just the way it sounds.

It's one of the most favorite scores of spielberg, that push him to think collaborating with Zimmer.

However the credibility of Zimmer as compser or if he's the main author of scores stay controversial; the best example is "The Rock"; zimmer has done nothing in this project. His name is used for commercial purpose!

really? :pukeface:

So the horrific, bordering to hilarious Russian Choral classical piece for when the submarine submerges for the first time were OK?

Or the extra cheese on the tacos for when the main General gave a speech was OK.

How about the scene for when it was showing the dead man from the kitchen fire? It was accompanied by an full over-emotional orchestral/choral piece.

Was that OK?

Um, are you talking to me? Because I won't engage in discussion with an upstart, but to quickly answer your questions - YES it was all OKAY.

really? :pukeface:

Was that OK?

Um, are you talking to me? Because I won't engage in discussion with an upstart, but to quickly answer your questions - YES it was all OKAY.

Upstart of what? This forum?lol

I'm certainly not an upstart to film music my friend.

If it was all 'OK' to you then fine but to me the score is terrible