Indiana Jones Soundtrack Release?

Nick Parker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong at all with mp3 (or aac/ogg) at all to my ears, as long as it's compressed well.

At one point I ripped all 3 LotR CR sets to flac and compared to my 320k mp3s. No difference whatsoever unless I guess you have a really high end sound system.

The quality difference between 320kbps MP3 and a lossless format is probably minimal, but I still avoid lossy compression because when burning those MP3s to a CD and then ripping them again to MP3 on another system will result in a greater loss of quality. As long as everything is lossless, I don't have to worry about what is from which source. That's why I also keep my various MP3s (downloads and such) in separate folders, sorted by quality.

the problem with OGG is that not all portable players play them.I don;t want a format that I have to re-rip everything if something doesn't support it

I agree about needing the uncompressed format. Not so much for listening,but if you want to edit expanded scores it's better to work with WAVE ripped directly from the c.d.

the problem with OGG is that not all portable players play them.I don;t want a format that I have to re-rip everything if something doesn't support it

Yes, my comment was about the format itself, where MP3 has some shortcomings (for example, gapless playback is only possible by guesswork and blending two tracks by the player). It's a shame that there's still so little OGG support in hardware players, considering they have to pay for MP3 and could just add OGG for free...