Death of the Compact Disc

indy4

The exploding CD sounds like a demo for Zimmer's next score.

Maybe Zimmer will be key in reviving musique électronique.

In the meantime, here's hoping Blu-Ray players don't spin that fast in the future.

Was looking for Braveheart on Spotify the other week and that's what came up! Had to search through Horner's stuff to find the actual soundtrack.

• 1 year later...

Who knew Ricard had a beard!

Al kidding aside, vinyl lovers of the past used to record their newly purchased LPs on  a tape machine because they wanted to protect the vinyl as much as possible.

maxresdefault.jpg

8 hours ago, Ricard said:

I did miss vinyl though. Much better format from a collector's perspective.

I can understand that. LPs are big. They take up a lot of space on a shelf to store, more to display. As a collector, you need to be responsible and discriminating in what you collect and why. 

CDs are much smaller. It takes less discipline to collect CDs because once/if you rip them, you can put them in a shoebox in the closet or under the bed, never to think about again. It's much easier to hoard CDs, buying up complete discographies of anybody because there are no ramifications, aside from cost. 

• 2 years later...

I imagine people are opting to stream the music rather than purchase digital copies, which had their several years of trendiness. So as useless as CDs had supposedly become, digital downloads are now even more useless.

It's ironic.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yet we keep hearing that CD pressing plants are closing due to declining sales.

Which is it?

Perhaps--and this is purely off-the-cuff--those CD plants are "fat" that get trimmed, leaving fewer plants with more of the lion's share of producing the disks, allowing them to become more profitable than where there might have been a more varied distribution across a greater number of facilities.

In 2011, I fully believed that LPs (not CDs necessarily) would achieve this kind of comeback.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Perhaps--and this is purely off-the-cuff--those CD plants are "fat" that get trimmed, leaving fewer plants with more of the lion's share of producing the disks, allowing them to become more profitable than where there might have been a more varied distribution across a greater number of facilities.

In 2011, I fully believed that LPs (not CDs necessarily) would achieve this kind of comeback.

I don’t think it’s a comeback. People aren’t buying downloads anymore. All streaming. 

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

At some point, I'd imagine people are going to be content merely to look at titles and not listen at all.  Quicker that way, really.

Indeed, one day people will quit music, just like they did with smoking. 

• 1 year later...

Years and years ago I predicted vinyl would make a comeback, although what I didn't foresee is that cassette tapes would make a resurgence, too. I wonder if CDs would actually make a comeback, they might be stuck in the betwixt and between state of vinyl (large collector's item with artwork, cultural connotations, considered to have a very unique and quality sound, etc.) and tape (super-portable, really nostalgic in an analog setting, colors the sound, etc.)

We can see in the graph that the rate of decline was slowing from 2011 to 2017 – and then sharply accelerated in 2018. What was behind that, I wonder?

The increase of streaming services, the closing of US CD pressing plants, the rise of vinyl as a collectors edition medium

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

The increase of streaming services, the closing of US CD pressing plants, the rise of vinyl as a collectors edition medium

Well sure, but those have been the case for awhile, right?

One thing buying a CD give you over digital: collectibility/resale value.

For 'regular' releases, a digital release gives you the music, and if it's lossless, there's nothing more you actually need. You can still have art direction and liner notes - it's just not printed on a bit of paper.

I feel physical media as a whole is starting to die out. It’s not exclusive to the music industry either. DVD and Blu-ray sales have been declining for a while now, with many people jumping on the digital/streaming bandwagon. 

• 3 weeks later...

30 years of the music industry, visualised.
-
It’s not been an easy path for artists, publishers or record labels. Few industries have seen such sharp shifts in format and medium.
-
The ‘80s were the age of Vinyl and Cassettes before the CD took the crown and reigned as the dominant format for almost 20 years.
-
But the Internet boom of the late ‘90s brought file-sharing, piracy and a living nightmare for music execs and artists.
-
The infamous sharing service Napster was founded in 1999. Coincidentally the same year the US music industry peaked.
-
After that, it was a lot of doom and gloom. The download market helped to stop the ship from sinking completely, but the industry had still halved in roughly a decade.
-
But now streaming is taking off in a big way and the music industry is, at last, back to growth. Here comes the sun ☀️, and it’s streaming in.
-
Data from the RIAA.

60164543_946080238932725_17177122421994057414277_137806850633166_23325168478045257488397_818473361858209_281913384544065

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxIHYgrhnxC/

Interesting that DOWNLOADS died off WAY quicker than CDs did, and that it's STREAMING that is now the CLEAR winner, NOT Downloads.  

And it's funny that Ringtone sales made a big enough impact for a while to be charted!

“Vinyl, the comeback king.” I dunno, that barely widening sliver of a black line doesn’t really seem to merit such a claim (but that’s just me).