Death of the Compact Disc

indy4

1 hour ago, Jay said:

>shrug< I've never had any problems

You should lok at them under a light, you might get a fright. Even "soft" cloths cause scratching. I've learnt this the hard way.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It very much depends on how one does it. 

Not really. The highly polished surface of an optical media disc is extremely susceptible to scratches. Even Blu-ray discs aren't immune, although their "protective" coatings are a bit more resilient than CDs and DVDs.

41 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Not really. The highly polished surface of an optical media disc is extremely suceptible to scratches. 

I agree that CDs are extremely susceptible to scratches. However, through trials and errors, I've found a way to do the cleaning that usually doesn't leave any visible scratches.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've found a way to do the cleaning that usually doesn't leave any visible scratches.

You should patent it and package it and slap it on a plastic lunchbox and sell it!

jeffgoldblum.gif

*bangs hand on table*

14 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

You should patent it and sell it :)

I'll give it to you for free. :)

1. Soak the CD under running water, not much warmer than body temperature.
  2. Spray on cleaning solution for glasses (a mild detergent).
  3. Mechanically wash the CD by moving your finger radially outwards. Clean, wet skin doesn't leave scratches.
  4. Rinse the CD under running water, not much warmer than body temperature.
  5. Shake the CD to get rid of most of the water.
  6. Remove the remaining water drops from the CD. Do not wipe! Instead, use a piece of dry soft cotton cloth or paper tissue that doesn't leave residues (like Torky if you have that brand) and lightly press it onto the CD surface. The water will be quickly absorbed.
  7. If there's still some stains left, you can use a soft, lightly moisturized cotton cloth, and wipe radially. However, wiping with a cloth always has the risk of creating small scratches, but it's better than wiping with a paper tissue.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not a nice thing to say. :nono:

Not only is it not nice, as a music fan, I also don't understand why one would wish LPs or CDs to die. 

• 1 year later...

That article has some valid points, but even though we're losing the CD, we don't lose the digital album and associated purchasing decisions.

When I discover a new album and initially only like one or two tracks, there's always a part of me that wants to like the rest of the album, and there's a commercially released library album for which I'm going through that exact process right now. I end up doing what the author suggests - digging away at those other tracks and trying to tune my mind into liking them more.

My last post in here generally was a decade ago, and really my stance is the same - CDs are a highly inefficient and limiting format by which to distribute music, which collectors love because it gives them something pretty to look at. I just don't care about any of that any more.

Hence the 'No CD = no sale' brigade at FSM does my head in.

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

CDs are a highly inefficient and limiting format by which to distribute music, which collectors love because it gives them something pretty to look at. I just don't care about any of that any more.

Are you sure you're not talking about vinyl?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm actually buying CDs again, but only albums I really, really love. One okay track is fine, but otherwise I don't buy it physically.

Me too. And I don't have to really love them. Just nice is already enough. 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

Are you sure you're not talking about vinyl?

Well Vinyl obviously gives you the huge cover art, but no, I'm talking about CDs and particularly the elaborate boxes, booklets, etc.

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

I think services like Spotify have seriously damaged the experience of listening to albums, and listening to score albums where the music represents a narrative. 

I'd massively disagree with that - you're still listening to the album and getting a narrative; you just don't need to wait for it and no one has to pay to press any plastic discs.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, but how can both those things be true?  If vinyl outsold CDs, wouldn't that mean 2 out of 3 albums sold were vinyl?

Or is the first saying vinyl outsold CD by dollar amount, not units?

Ahhh, you're right!  I get it now - I knew I hadn't had enough coffee yet!

Here's more info

"Vinyl album sales comprised 38.3% of all album sales (physical and digital formats combined) in the U.S. in 2021 (41.72 million of 108.98 million)"

https://www.celebnation.com/news_feed/1-out-of-every-3-albums-sold-in-the-us-in-2021-were-vinyl-lps/

Vinyl isn't ideal for classical or orchestral work because of the compression (lack of dynamics). Also, you need a perfectly set up turntable before you even come close to CD. 

45 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Vinyl isn't ideal for classical or orchestral work because of the compression (lack of dynamics). Also, you need a perfectly set up turntable before you even come close to CD. 

It's interesting that many people nowadays chose between vinyls which have the sonic disadvantages you described and streaming services which mostly offer inferior digital sound files. The CD which is the objectively best sounding source is somehow skipped.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about bluray audio?

Blu-ray is still PCM. DSD is superior to PCM, which is a technology of more than 40 years old. 

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some people are against CDs because it's made of plastic.

Probably the same people who are against meat.

Uncompressed digital files for me, and vinyl for the artwork and physical experience ("reinvented" editions excluded). CDs look and feel cheap.

And I also skip meat, but for entirely different reasons.

CDs will make a comeback when the same vinylites recognise the hipster potential of a fragile jewel case and a booklet with pretty pictures in it.

I hope so. I have a TON of old home movies that I would like to convert to digital. I have a working VCR hooked up to my desktop via converter box and USB, but it would be nice to have a backup. 

There is a company building new VCRs with hdmi out, but they are ridiculously expensive. Goodwills and Salvation Army are the best place so far.