Death of the Compact Disc

indy4

What...people like compressed music? :lol:

Yeah, this is sad news indeed. It's funny that HD technologies are pushing video to its limits while audio is actually regressing.

We should start a vigilante group entitled "The Brother(and Occasional Sister)hood of the Compact Disc". Our goal is to protect the "CD" from the wrong hands, lest the Armies of Darkness march all over the world.

Well is soundtrack sites still offer CDs, i think i'll go that way...

I will keep using CDs.

Even if it means downloading an uncompressed album and then burning it myself. If that's what it comes to.

But I think way too many CDs are sold from places like Amazon and Barnes and Noble for CDs to die anytime soon. So Wal-Mart is going to stop carrying them. Big whoop. They never had a great selection anyway.

The day stores like Best Buy and Barnes and Noble completely stop selling CDs will definitely be a sad one. Even if they're still available through online retailers, it's more of an experience to actually go to a store, look for what you want, and listen to it on the way home. More exciting than clicking a button online and just waiting a week for it to arrive.

Ray I don't think alot of people appreciate that aspect of CD buying. 15-20 years ago it was fun to go in to a store and hunt through the soundtrack section and find all kinds of goodies. In the past 10 years the soundtrack sections started to dry up and became hard to even find new releases that weren't limited, unless it was a major release.

Most of those stores had already started shrinking their CD sections down. I buy most of my CDs online now so it doesn't bother me, this was something I expected to happen soon.

Ray I don't think alot of people appreciate that aspect of CD buying. 15-20 years ago it was fun to go in to a store and hunt through the soundtrack section and find all kinds of goodies. In the past 10 years the soundtrack sections started to dry up and became hard to even find new releases that weren't limited, unless it was a major release.

That's what it's like for me. There are fewer and fewer stores that will stock any kind of good soundtracks, and even HMV and Virgin's sections are now down to bare minimums. I went out last weekend with the one intention of buying some soundtracks, and couldn't find one thing I wanted.

Most of those stores had already started shrinking their CD sections down. I buy most of my CDs online now so it doesn't bother me, this was something I expected to happen soon.

The only store that I've ever seen a great selection of scores was Tower Records. Best Buy and all those stores have pooty selections, Amazon is the way to go.

There's something special about physically owning music, not just downloading it off of iTunes or what have you (but that's still a great tool). That is what is sad about CD's dying, the fact that eventually that be around anymore.

This is no surprise. Was it Wal-Mart that announced this time last year that they would no longer carry audio tapes after the stores sold off the last of their stocks?

Personally, I love my iPod. I think its a great device and a great way to purchase specific tunes instead of getting stuck with an album music I mostly don't want. But, I still purchase CD's. iPods crash, hard drives crash, and if those tunes are gone...oh well. Always have a hard back up to EVERYTHING!

Another thing that will go - CD Jackets. Those were such a great wealth of information and art work.

Worst case scenario: The album concept could die out. For "classical" music and film scores that wouldn't make that much of a difference, but bands and such might stop compiling albums of songs that fit together (best case: concept albums) and just end up releasing them separately, with no relation whatsoever.

Another thing that will go - CD Jackets. Those were such a great wealth of information and art work.

Very true. I remember the time when every DVD came with a booklet inside. It's rarely seen anymore because companies stopped producing them to save money.

i'd rather have the hard copy of the music than have it on my computer.

Spoken like a true fan of music. A physical object like a CD or LP gives music an identity.

A great performance of a great piece of music remains great regardless of the delivery system. Obviously we want the best quality and at this time downloads are not it. However, I'm perfectly content encoding my CD collection as lossless files. I rarely look at my discs, but I enjoy the music at my computer and on my stereo.

On the flip side, for portability and convenience, my iPod is loaded with 128kbps AACs and when I use that (in the car, out for walks) it works like a charm. With all the noise around me, perfect quality isn't an issue. But it's enough for me to escape the real world just a little bit. I'm still able to connect with and enjoy the music.

20 years ago I was recording CDs and records to tape so that I could play them in the car and on my walkman, so things haven't really changed. Just the technology.

So while I want full quality at home, outside of it I'm perfectly happy with compressed files, too. They both serve their purpose.

Neil

Yes, you know you can play then through your car stereo, right? That's some amazing technology right there!

Neil - self conscious about this reply since reading Greg's thread

A great performance of a great piece of music remains great regardless of the delivery system. Obviously we want the best quality and at this time downloads are not it. However, I'm perfectly content encoding my CD collection as lossless files. I rarely look at my discs, but I enjoy the music at my computer and on my stereo.

On the flip side, for portability and convenience, my iPod is loaded with 128kbps AACs and when I use that (in the car, out for walks) it works like a charm. With all the noise around me, perfect quality isn't an issue. But it's enough for me to escape the real world just a little bit. I'm still able to connect with and enjoy the music.

20 years ago I was recording CDs and records to tape so that I could play them in the car and on my walkman, so things haven't really changed. Just the technology.

So while I want full quality at home, outside of it I'm perfectly happy with compressed files, too. They both serve their purpose.

Neil

I agree!