Remembrances - Call for a piano transcription

fommes

I have a rather specific request for somebody qualified to transcribe the opening and closing of Remembrances (Schindler's List) for piano solo. This hasn't been transcribed yet, and I was hoping that somebody who is in possession of the manuscripts/full score would be up for the task...

I have the existing official sheet music for piano of this particular piece, which is definitely one of my favourite Williams pieces for piano, so I'd just love to have a transcription of:

- the short extended (but great) opening of the concert version (see for instance the Williams on Williams album), which would then lead into the existing partition.

- the ending of the album version (tagged onto the existing sheet). The sheet music ends somewhat abruptly, and I'd love to play the closing of the piece as found on the album on piano. (I can't transcribe myself.)

I know the concert version has a prolonged ending (and two or three bars are already on the sheet music for that in a slightly altered form), but I think that one is more suitable for a solo instrument like a violin or cello, and not really for piano; I'd prefer the album version in this case.

The composers and transcribers on this forum always seem to be looking for new ideas or competitions, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Cheers!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm...forgive me, but I am not exactly sure what you want (I did not read the entire paragraph). Do you want a transcription of Remembrances as heard in the album? If not, then I cannot help, as I do not have access to legally ambiguous alternate cues.

I may be able to put something together for you. I admit that writing for piano isn't my strongest point, but I should be able to put together a fairly good reduction of it - if no one else steps up.

I actually have a great transcription of the two main Schindler's List themes arranged for piano for intermediate to advanced. It includes the album ending of "Remembrances" but not the opening. I'll see if I can find it.

Great news, magical_me. I'd definitely be interested in those two transcriptions.

If you could find that, then all that's needed is a very few bars at the beginning.

And thanks for the volunteering everyone. Just to be clear, as we have an official sheet, I don't really need the whole cue, just those few bars for the concert opening, and the minute or so of music for the album ending.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I may be able to put something together for you. I admit that writing for piano isn't my strongest point, but I should be able to put together a fairly good reduction of it - if no one else steps up.

Sorry to bump this again.

Would anybody with the transcription skills be willing to transcribe those couple of opening measures of Remembrances (the concert version) for piano solo?

The introduction of the concert version is in the actual piano album, as it's taken from another cue (I don't remember which, perhaps it was "I could have done more", you'd just have to look through your piano book). The only thing that's new there is a harp arpeggio, as far as I can tell, and two bridging bars for harp solo, which I think you can easily get down from the recording :P

Wow, I can't believe I've missed that for all these years. It's in the middle of Stolen Memories, all right. Thanks, Chris.

Still - I play the piano pretty well, but I'm really lousy at transcribing something by ear, so it would be great if you could still transcribe the missing measures between the opening and the actual Remembrances track, joey225. Thanks very much for volunteering!

That wish could possibly be granted soon... I'm contemplating arranging Jazz Autographs for my youth orchestra, to play as an encore. If I finish it I can send you the piano part (or post it here).

Please, do post it here. ROTFLMAO

Will do!

Thanks joey!

Could you perhaps do the whole opening - with the harp arpeggio as well?

If you need the piano solo partition of Stolen Memories, and don't have it, let me know.

That wish could possibly be granted soon... I'm contemplating arranging Jazz Autographs for my youth orchestra, to play as an encore. If I finish it I can send you the piano part (or post it here).

That would be fantastic!

• 2 months later...

That would be fantastic!

I've recently started with the arrangement... here is the piano part from the beginning: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CZLYRQRU

Enjoy it! I really like the complex jazz harmonies Williams uses here (though they're a pain to transcribe by ear :P), he really masks the fact that the melody itself consists of only very basic notes from a diatonic scale ;)

Splendid transcription of that piano part. Thanks very much for that!

This thread strangely reminds me, though, of that Remembrances thing - anybody, please?