Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

As much as I love the Superman theme, I think maybe they should try something new. I mean, Returns was so busy being a tribute to the 1978 movie that it couldn't even be its own.

So Singer's out?

Yep, kiss good by to Williams. Expect a Dark Knight 'inspired' score.

Quint - who doesn't mind the musical style of the new Batman films, but HATES the idea of Superman without Williams.

Why?

Superman excisted for over 50 years in print, film and TV before Williams composed his score for a single film.

And his music surpased the others and is the only people identify with the character, for 30 years.

Why?

Superman excisted for over 50 years in print, film and TV before Williams composed his score for a single film.

40 years.

And I won't miss Williams's music. I love it, but it felt all wrong in SR.

Neil

Guest macrea

There can be a reboot that still uses the theme. No complaint from me if they throw the whole love child thing into the circular file.

Problem is that The Dark Knight is now the template for the successful comic book hero movie and its sadistic violence and relentless gloom coupled with incomprehensible and stupefying action all mean that the mass audience probably won't embrace a Superman movie which is produced with the mood it should have. And if they try to make it like Dark Knight, then it won't really be a Superman movie (and it won't use the Williams theme).

Yeah, it's hard to imagine such a realistic treatment of Superman. My guess is they'll completely foul it up: a tastelessly dark, pretentious film filled with gratuitous violence and pulsating string beats. Don't get me wrong, I love The Dark Knight, but you can't do that to Superman. There's no way.

no it didn't it was perfect for the opening.

I'd argue that Williams' music was effective in more places than just the credits. I remember feeling absolutely exhilarated as Routh's Superman stood, braced between the passenger jet and the shuttle, to the stirring heroics of JW's original compositions. People seem quick to forget that all the best moments in SR were accompanied by JW's music.

Oh thank god, that means that Singer won't return. And we are getting a third Batman film.

It cracks me up that they spent close to 10 years trying to get a new Superman film made and they churn out a clunker. Now they want to re-boot it. ROTFLMAO

Any sane person who watched the first two X-Men films and actually believed Singer was capapble of delivering an entertaining superhero film should be slapped with a large trout.

We'll get a re-boot now with a lame power anthem for Superman's theme.

We'll get a re-boot now with a lame power anthem for Superman's theme.

It won't be a theme. It'll be a one note super motif.

Any sane person who watched the first two X-Men films and actually believed Singer was capapble of delivering an entertaining superhero film should be slapped with a large trout.

Ah yes, the fish slapping dance.

Hollywood finally got tired of straight sequels, so I guess they all just collectively decided to start everything over. What's next, the Star Wars reboot?

John- who thinks using Williams' material in Superman Returns was the right idea, the job was just given to the wrong composer

I think this is the best thing that could happen with Superman, since SR was a mess of a film.

Although it may be a balant rip off of TDK.

Why?

And his music surpased the others and is the only people identify with the character, for 30 years.

What about the famous theme song: "It's a bird...it's a plane...no, it's Superman!"

I can hear Zimmer right now: "See, I didn't want to write such a happy jolly theme like John Williams', it would be just wrong for our movie! I didn't feel like Superman really earned a theme until the end of the film. Clark doesn't know who he is yet, so a theme would be too restricting for him."

"You know, it was originall two notes, but it was just too much. Lex Luthor doesn't develop, he is the same the first time we see him to the last time we see him. It took me two months to get this one note right, and it almost broke my head. I really think hard about these things. I researched the history of DC, studied the planets of our solar system, I did it all.!

Personally I'm happy with this. I didn't exactly hate Superman Returns, but it did have a bucket-load of flaws. I'm more concerned about what director signs on for the project than if it will be a rip-off of The Dark Knight. Granted Superman is not really a character that can be taken in that direction, but with the right talent behind it it could be something good and different.

This whole situation is too bad for Brandon Routh, I think he did a very nice job considering the shoes he had to fill. I would have liked to have seen him play the character more. I still enjoy Superman Returns, it's far from flawless but I didn't think it was awful.

My first reaction to anything that attempts to step on, alter, or change in any way the Superman mythos set up in the greatest comic book movie ever made is to hate it with a firey passion. Irrationally and unequivocally.

Hollywood finally got tired of straight sequels, so I guess they all just collectively decided to start everything over. What's next, the Star Wars reboot?

SSSHHHHHHHHHH...... George might be listening.

I'm completely sick of these inane reboots.

Hulk failed... Let's reboot!

Star Trek's dying... Let's give it a J. J. Abrams reboot!

We're completely out of ideas... Let's reboot the Conan franchise!

Howsabout we just get Reboot the complete series on DVD and I'll be happy.

I still haven't seen the last 10-20 minutes of Returns--not for lack of desire, but things have just been too crazy; I haven't gotten to watch much of anything recently. But I enjoyed what I saw. It wasn't terrible, but I can see room for improvement. What happened to Singer, anyway? I mean, it's been a couple of years, he was still on, and all of a sudden he's out?

Aside from the music, I'd say my biggest concern is that we'll get yet another film of Lex masterminding something and Superman just saving people and not getting to battle something on his level. I was actually looking forward to Singer's next entry largely for that reason; the comments he made about wanting to have one of the supervillains he can actually fight was getting me excited. As it is, here's hoping that we don't just get Lex this time around--I wouldn't think it would be too hard to work Brainiac in, and he's only been on the drawing board since, what, Superman III?

As far as the music goes, I for one wouldn't mind them transferring Williams's theme(s). The March is so deeply identified with the character that it really works. However, I understand if they want to move on thematically. I would not endorse any approach other than rich, robust orchestral scoring. As much as I am peeved with the execution, the general ideas and thematic roots of the new Batman films isn't too bad, but there's no way that...ahem...stuff would be right for Superman. Shirley Walker did a pretty good job with the theme for the animated series. I'd love to see one of the real A-class (not necessarily A-list) composer get the scoring job. Bruce Broughton for Superman, anyone? :lol:

It's not AOTC terrible. It's just sad, long and boring film with no plot. The effects are just fine though.

Karol -who liked it more upon its release date.

Without John Williams, there is no Superman, as far as I'm concerned.

Then let Williams compose another Superman theme :(

Superman needs to be rebooted, John Williams' theme/s with it. Superman Returns was poor, and so was Ottman's score.

It just stank of pointlessness. Here you can watch a film trying to be Superman 78' right down to Brandon Routh trying so desperately hard to be Christopher Reeve, it's no secret that he happens to resemble him. That's where it stops however. Routh is as wooden as an oak tree in Returns.

Why watch poor imitation, when you can watch the glorious real thing?

He just reminded me of Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future Part II. In the opening of the film his performance is poor, where as he is fine for the rest of its duration, as he was in the first film (thankfully, more than can be said for Routh). Why? Because he is lousy at impersonating himself. His performance at the end of the original was natural. The opening of the sequel, which is a recap of the original, only it all had to be re-shot to incorporate Elisabeth Shue into the picture, just screams forced and second rate. Shue wasn't much better either, Claudia Wells portrayed Jennifer quite differently. Even if she wasn't on screen all that much, she was the superior actress in the role. Only Michael J. Fox manages to recreate his performance with ease, almost the same as it was in the original version of the sequence.

Anyway, as long as Zimmer, and anyone else associated with Remote Control stay well away from scoring this upcoming Superman film, I'll at least have something less to worry about.

They should just make a Smallville movie instead.

I always though they should have just brought the Smallville cast to the big screen for the film.

They should just make a Smallville movie instead.

I always though they should have just brought the Smallville cast to the big screen for the film.

it would not be a bag idea to make the transformation from clark-hero to the real superman in a movie.

It has no relation with reeve's superman... and all the cast is different and do not resemble the reeve movies.

But still Williams music can be used :(

What, why does it have to follow in the footsteps of Donner's film? Superman Returns did, and it sucked. We need something new.

Im just saying that a reboot with smallville 'universe' could work as it has not direct relation with the revees universe.

Still the music could be used (they have done it already in the series...)