Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

The only reason I could think of Nolan to stay out is that Superman is not rooted as much in the "real world" as Batman is. Nolan's two Batman movies have a certain element of plausibility to them. Other than Dr. Crane's psycho drug, Ghul's immortality, Two-Face's ability to function with his face burned open like that, and the unofficial sanction caused by inaction of the police department and international community which allows a masked vigilante to operate freely using military-grade weapons, vehicles, and tactics, Batman is real world stuff.

Superman is not. He's an alien who fights a bald conglomerate, and other aliens like himself

I'd want to see a period piece, Superman in the '30s or '40s. I don't see Superman working in the post-9/11 world. Leave that timeframe to Iron Man and the Marvel folks.

Man, I just can't imagine a Superman movie without the Williams theme. The music IS the man as far as my love for the character goes and I'd really find it difficult to get excited about a new movie which didn't have the Williams influence.

Man, I just can't imagine a Superman movie without the Williams theme. The music IS the man as far as my love for the character goes and I'd really find it difficult to get excited about a new movie which didn't have the Williams influence.

I suspect that since WB will reboot the franchise to drop the Donner influences, they'll throw out the baby with the bathwater.

But do they absolutely have to discard the iconic theme in order to start over? Of course not. Shirley Walker's music to Batman: The Animated Series used Danny Elfman's theme, while I don't remember the show actually making any overt references to the Tim Burton movie's take on the character and universe.

The show made a few references (Joker being called Jack Napier being the big one) but you're right in that it did work on its own. But at the same time, Superman:The Animated Series didn't feature Williams' theme and worked just as well IMO. As much as I like the theme, I think a new one wouldn't hurt, as long as its a nice theme. If its some two or three note motif like Zimmer does with Batsy, then I'd be angry. But after Superman Returns, I think a little distance is needed.

I agree with Wojo, I'd love to see a Superman period piece, just like the Fleisher cartoons. Shame WB would never go for it. The Superman in a modern world is tricky. It worked so well with Donner because the time period was more idealistic and even innocent, at least in the cinema (post-Star Wars). I'm one of the few that liked RETURNS, but I think it would be an interesting thing to take a icon like Superman and really look at his relevance in the modern world, and even the contemporary definition of hero.

I also agree with Wycket that the animated series theme was great. It would be hard to disassociate Superman from the Williams theme, but I'd like to see someone try.

I suspect that since WB will reboot the franchise to drop the Donner influences, they'll throw out the baby with the bathwater.

But do they absolutely have to discard the iconic theme in order to start over? Of course not. Shirley Walker's music to Batman: The Animated Series used Danny Elfman's theme, while I don't remember the show actually making any overt references to the Tim Burton movie's take on the character and universe.

The main titles and end credits had indeed the Elfman theme, but during the show itself it was only used in one episode, and only once in that (On Leather Wings)

Superman:The Animated Series didn't feature Williams' theme and worked just as well IMO. As much as I like the theme,

Yes but at least the cartoon's theme was handled by a capable composer.

The main titles and end credits had indeed the Elfman theme, but during the show itself it was only used in one episode, and only once in that (On Leather Wings)

"The Last Laugh"

• 4 weeks later...

So, I guess, Nolan is indeed developing a Superman film with David S. Goyer. Here's an article about both this project and the third Batman. Nothing revealing, but interesting nontheless. I like this guy. He's not the type that overstates things and constantly exclaims "cool!" and "awesome!". His restraint and class is quite refreshing, having read dozens of interchangeable interviews with other comic book movie directors.

Karol - who seriosly thought this was just a rumour

He gets that it's a completely separate thing from Batman, specifically in tone, which is what a lot of people were complaining about when the rumors came out surrounding this.

From a filmmaking perspective, I like the idea of keeping the two franchises distinct. Unless they decide to film the Doomsday saga -- and actually, even if they do decide to someday -- Superman is practically invincible. Batman is not.

In the modern world, thinking realistically, an invincible superhero makes any mortal superheroes obsolete. What works great in a comic book world does not translate as well to the big screen in Nolan's real world approach. Why would Batman have to even get out of bed if he could just outsource his problems to Superman?

Ok, Metropolis is more than a handful for Superman, but Metropolis plus Gotham would be too much. This is basically how the comics approach it, that they have their own turf, personal reasons for being superheroes in the first place, and only collaborate on the really big threats to their cities or the planet.

But aren't both Gotham City and Metropolis just comic book versions of New York City? Connecting the two franchises in film would require the filmmakers to explain that, which I don't think they could (unless they make one of them Chicago or LA, another comparably sized super-city).

Yeah the general idea is that both are New York, or near N.Y.

Basically both cities are on the east coast. Although throughout the years there have been references to Chicago, which Nolan used for TDK.

Yes, Chris Nolan's movies make Gotham City more like Chicago, while Burton's Gotham was NYC. Physical shooting locations are one thing, but the actual character of the cities reflect where they were filmed, too. I haven't read enough comics to recognize which cities had coastlines. Although Lake Michigan is big enough that since you can't see the other side from Chicago, it's a good stand-in for the ocean.

It really doesn't matter because in a comic book world, things like absolute geography can take a back seat.

Frank Miller has said that "Metropolis is New York in the daytime; Gotham City is New York at night." I rather like that analogy.

Donner's Metropolis didn't even attempt to disguise the fact that it was really New York. Still worked great though.

Nolan didn't even try do disguise Chicago either. And it works just as great. :)

Karol

• 1 month later...

So, I guess, Nolan is indeed developing a Superman film with David S. Goyer. Here's an article about both this project and the third Batman. Nothing revealing, but interesting nontheless. I like this guy. He's not the type that overstates things and constantly exclaims "cool!" and "awesome!". His restraint and class is quite refreshing, having read dozens of interchangeable interviews with other comic book movie directors.

Chris Nolan doing the next Superman film? That's Clark, nice.

Chris Nolan doing the next Superman film? That's Clark, nice.

Nolan is overseeing the film in a producer capacity. There has been no word that he will direct (actually, I think they've specifically said he won't be I can't remember).

I don't think Nolan wants to be known as the director of comic book movies. He'll probably continue with his Batman series (the demand is high) but I can imagine he still wants to do other genres as well.

Alex

He said that he would do a third Batman only if it was the conclusion of his story. Whatever the "conclusion" word means in this case.

Karol - who can't wait too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hm...not thrilled about this choice--especially after Zemeckis was mentioned. This quote from 2008 REALLY bothers the piss outta me:

"They asked me to direct a Superman movie' date=' and I said no," was Snyder's response more than two years ago, "He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but [b']I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."

The same sophisticated audience that's flocking to see Transformers 2? Please. And then this gem:

"I've been a big fan of the character for a long time' date=' he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one. It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David and Christopher Nolan have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into [b']a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish Sucker Punch and get right at it."

Make Superman himself feel modern? Ehh...in what sense?

But he also says this:

"The character deserves to be loved. It's his time"

And I just don't know what to think of the guy's attitude about the character or approaching him or...anything about the decision to have him direct. I just don't know. Nolan's done some dang good work, and he's a smart fella, but...I'm uneasy. It'd be great to read a spoiler-free script review, just to get a flavor for how they're wanting to handle this thing.

My initial reaction to this tonight was disappointment—though it would've been a gamble, I'd have much rather it gone to Duncan Jones—but after thinking it over, I'm trying to look on the bright side:

1) The last three films have already covered every possible kind of suck, so this one can only be a step up.

2) It will be visually awesome.

3) We may get to see Lois Lane's boobies. ;)

I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of all these reboots and remakes. Hollywood clearly has no original ideas left.

However, I will say if anyone attempts to remake the Back To The Future Trilogy I'm gonna be super pissed.

The action will go into uber awesome slow-motion with 360 camera spins to see all of the water and wind splashing about Superman's face. I hear Gerard Butler is his #1 choice to play Clark Kent. "THIS. IS. METROPOLIS!"

That sucks quite a bit. I have a hard time believing Nolan actually hand-picked him, it seems more like a studio choice. Snyder does not have the substance nor the maturity needed for a character as rich as Superman, and I fear his version will just be what he has done to date which are films that have cool special effects but the rest is hollow.

This an awful choice. Still, with Nolan overseeing the whole thing, some hope remains

Some, but very little. You have a script by David S. Goyer being directed by Zack Snyder. You have one of the worst writers in the business matched with one of the worst directors in the business. I don't think Nolan can save this.

Although, I'm kinda glad it's Snyder. The other contenders: Arronofsky, Jones, Reeves... they're all very personal directors with solid films under their belts. I feel like they'd almost be soiled from doing something this big-budget and mainstream. For instance, I hope Marc Webb is able to retain some control over the new Spider-Man. Taking good small-time directors and throwing them into big franchises that are usually studio controlled doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of all these reboots and remakes. Hollywood clearly has no original ideas left.

However, I will say if anyone attempts to remake the Back To The Future Trilogy I'm gonna be super pissed.

Here, Here! Although, I'm more afraid of a sequel from Zemeckis using all motion capture. He had been rumoured for Superman. I wish it would have been him. ;)

I'm more afraid of a sequel from Zemeckis using all motion capture.

Time to start being scared. It's happening. He's doing a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit with traditional 2D animation for the toons and CGI motion capture for the people, all in 3D. It'll make people's eyes bleed and burst.

hopefully it uses the original superman themes, though if "he" doesnt than hopefully its just as good

It's a reboot. Nolan didn't use Elfman's theme for Batman either. Williams' old-fashioned theme won't go well with the darker approach of Nolan and Snyder.

I hope Snyder is still attached to the new Heavy Metal film (alongside James Cameron and David Fincher), which is something I feel he's more suited for.

Alex