Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

zimmer's a crap composer who excels at creating noise.

he's working for a crap director.

at this point I can hope it all works out.

Agreed he`s a crap composer! be same old crap with little musical content! still should`nt really bother me to much not going to see the film,loosing interest in todat`s films anyway apart from war horse now thats a good film with agood score by a superb composer,not all this zimmerish shit

Zimmer couldn't write a big grand unforgettable theme even if his life depeneded on it. Soundscape is exactly what we will get.

I think soundscape is how lesser composers chicken out of writing themes. They say they are writing soundscapes because that is the only thing they are capable of writing. I wonder if it even takes much effort to "write" such "music". Nothing is synched to the screen, its just general ambience composed and applied to a movie. Highlighting inidividual moments is too much effort for today's composers and they couldn't be bothered it seems.

i whole heartly agree..zimmer indeed??

Agreed he`s a crap composer! be same old crap with little musical content! still should`nt really bother me to much not going to see the film,loosing interest in todat`s films anyway apart from war horse now thats a good film with agood score by a superb composer,not all this zimmerish shit

Agreed hard to take seriously sentence about same old crap with shit composer by someone with shouldn't really bother me about bad English, loosing interest in todat's can't read understand apart from run on sentence,not all this what were you saying again

Many of his scores are pleasant. It's just a matter of people realizing film music doesn't have to be written in one specific way. It's not a genre after all. Once you get past that you start to appreciate other things as well. Once I got past the obvious, that he's not a classically trained musician and that he's not even trying to be (not that he shoul), I started to listen to his music and enjoy it for what it is (rather than what I want it to be).

Karol

I'm pleased with Zimmer for MOS, actually. More so than Tyler Bates or Alan Silvestri. Giacchino would have been good but it would have probably turned into a big Williams homage, which might have been incongruous. To be honest if it's a fresh re-imagining of Superman I'd rather not hear any of Williams music quoted. Hope Zimmer can come up with something interesting, and different to his Batman sound. It will be interesting to hear him do a big movie that isn't part of a franchise, this will probably be his first original live-action score since Inception. I know Zimmer gets a lot of hate around here, and I agree that he has slid a lot in recent years, but I still feel he has a good come-back score in him, and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

From Zimmer's FB page:

"I changed my mind after speaking with Chris Nolan, the movie’s producer, and then meeting with Zack Snyder the director (I hadn’t met him when the rumor was circulating that I would be scoring MOS.) It’s not just that these two men are very persuasive. Zack has a really interesting take on the story of Superman. I asked them to wait on discussing the project further until I finished The Dark Knight Rising. I completed it 15 minutes before the announcement was released to the press. Not much of a break.

I think there isn’t a person on his earth that doesn’t like John Williams’ iconic score. My job is to invent and create. They aren’t hiring me to re-orchestrate John William’s score but to come up with new ideas. I’ll never be John so I’ll just have a bash at doing it my way.”

Makes sense to me...

So basically reiterating what he said previously. Poor Zimmer, he must get tired of people mentioning the JW thing. Regardless of what happens, I respect him for having the balls to take it on.

From Zimmer's FB page:

"I changed my mind after speaking with Chris Nolan, the movie’s producer, and then meeting with Zack Snyder the director (I hadn’t met him when the rumor was circulating that I would be scoring MOS.) It’s not just that these two men are very persuasive. Zack has a really interesting take on the story of Superman. I asked them to wait on discussing the project further until I finished The Dark Knight Rising. I completed it 15 minutes before the announcement was released to the press. Not much of a break.

I think there isn’t a person on his earth that doesn’t like John Williams’ iconic score. My job is to invent and create. They aren’t hiring me to re-orchestrate John William’s score but to come up with new ideas. I’ll never be John so I’ll just have a bash at doing it my way.”

Makes sense to me...

He's right, of course.

The sad thing is that the result will most likely suck dragon balls.

Zimmer has a split personality. Once, he has a more realistic view on his meagre abilities than his fanboys, and the next moment, he boasts that his new two note theme is the most brilliant invention since diet coke.

Zimmer has a split personality. Once, he has a more realistic view on his meagre abilities than his fanboys, and the next moment, he boasts that his new two note theme is the most brilliant invention since diet coke.

Yeah this is really strange.

I think he will power up the superman march, transform it in the Superman power anthem, and the rest will be original score.

I just dont see a superman film without Williams theme :P

I think he will power up the superman march, transform it in the Superman power anthem, and the rest will be original score.

I just dont see a superman film without Williams theme :P

Superman can't fly without Williams theme.

So my guess is they're taking the ultra-cool realistic view so that he can't fly :P

Very true. The man can be so incredibly humble and show a great degree of humility (going on about how inferior he is to his peers in the industry, even his pupils). The next we get silly comments bashing Elfman's work and all that.

Still, I love the man's attitude. He's got a great personality.

He's a good salesman but is aware of his limitations. They should have got Jay Gruska instead!

I'm praying to the Gods of Krypton that somehow this turns out okay.

I would ask Zimmer to write sad and evocative music instead of an epic march or anything. He can do that, actually.

Sad music for superheroes is essentially what we got for Batman.

Melodramatic writing is indeed one of Zimmer's strengths, but I'd like without any of the Batman/Inception-like elements....Stuff like the elegance of Hannibal.

But clearly thats not what this film will be getting.

It'd be nice if Zimmer conjured a beautiful "Pacific"-type theme for MOS. It's evocative, patriotic, and there's structure to it. It's far removed from Williams, but it's not his anonymous Batman/Inception type music either.

Superman and Zod: Soundscapes! After all, Supes and Zod are from the planet Krypton, the world of futuristic abstract crystalline shapes.

Louis Lane: Pop tunes, alternative rock

Pa and Ma Kent: Americana - Bluegrass

Jimmy Olsen: Investigating, complex sequential patterns a la Philip Glass, Nyman or Steve Reich

• 2 weeks later...

Hans Zimmer talks about Man of Steel

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=63503

Some big words for John Williams in there:

”Let’s be honest – I am only human and John Williams is super-human. That Superman theme is beloved and iconic. It’s a pretty hard act to follow and it’s like me saying to you can you turn this interview in to a decent piece of Shakespeare. You’ll say “Maybe not today…!”

or

"John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction. I’ll try my best not to embarrass myself and my colleagues on the film."

When has he ever called himself brilliant?

I don’t feel confident at all. I never feel confident. But, a little bit of fear has gone a long way to being inspiring in the past. John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction. I’ll try my best not to embarrass myself and my colleagues on the film. I’m definitely going to have a go! In a funny way, it’s exactly because Superman is such an opposite character to Batman that I am welcoming the opportunity to do the music.

So what he's saying is that he won't be using any of Williams' iconic thematic material and that he'll be refraining from all the orchestral pomp, flair and style of Williams' work. Of course that was expected all along. But I like Zimmer's great humility in this interview.

And although I'm disappointed at the confirmation of the lack of Williams themes (Superman can't fly without his theme you know), it's nice to hear that Zimmer might be moving away from his unbearable Batman sound. So maybe instead of dull, sometimes painful soundscapes, we might get a good old fashioned power anthem (been a while since we heard one of those from the man).

Just read over it again and realized I completely skipped over this part:

Has he seen footage from the film? “Yes. All you’re going to get out of me is a “yes”! No elaborations! I’ve started it and am in the ideas phase. I am driving people crazy with my experiments and am trying to write a tune.” The one thing Zimmer will say is that his signature use of percussion – which he jokingly refers to as “his endless quest for the perfect drum-hit” will not be as prevalent in MAN OF STEEL as on his Batman scores. “I am going to try and avoid it. It’s a big conversation I am having with myself right now: how can we avoid that…!!“

(Y) (Y) (Y)

I like Hans, he's a top bloke. I honestly have hope for this score. By that I mean I think there's a chance it won't be an abomination to the Superman name.

Jesus, you're overprotective.

It's the way he talks about his music sometimes.

He actually made me interested in the music.

zimmer's a crap composer who excels at creating noise.

he's working for a crap director.

at this point I can hope it all works out.

Zimmer couldn't write a big grand unforgettable theme even if his life depeneded on it. Soundscape is exactly what we will get.

I think soundscape is how lesser composers chicken out of writing themes. They say they are writing soundscapes because that is the only thing they are capable of writing. I wonder if it even takes much effort to "write" such "music". Nothing is synched to the screen, its just general ambience composed and applied to a movie. Highlighting inidividual moments is too much effort for today's composers and they couldn't be bothered it seems.

i whole heartly agree..zimmer indeed??

I disagree whole heartly... You judge him by taking his most popular scores. You have to look further than that. The man has written great music. I agree that it's not always that good, but he's certainly not crap.

The rapidity with which he became a crap composer is directly proportional to the rapidity of his ascent to the A list of composers.

Personally, I believe that over time, when attention towards him grew, he thought people saw something terriby special in him, and he tried to live up to these standards he imposed on himself, until he became someone, whose ideas are far and beyond his abilities.

gkgyver - your hatred for Zimmer is depressing. If you don't like his music, I respect that. But do you have to come into every Zimmer-related thread and shout your abuse of him?

gkgyver - your hatred for Zimmer is depressing. If you don't like his music, I respect that. But do you have to come into every Zimmer-related thread and shout your abuse of him?

Yes, it is tremendous fun :D

Jesus, you're overprotective.

It's the way he talks about his music sometimes.

Overprotective? Okay...

Care to share some examples of his arrogance?

Zimmer is most interesting Ehen he combines Orchestra with electronics.

When he does all orchestral stuff and cranks up the drama, I find it ludicrously syrupy.

I thought Zimmer has sworn to never do big orchestral themes again, why this statement that he wants to avoid drums and keep it orchestral?

If you take away electronics, drums and power anthems away from him, I would say you end up with literally nothing.

Hannibal didn't have much in the way of those, and it turned out damn well.

Not that I expect Superman to be anything like Hannibal, but he may do ok. I would rather he pull off a good score than a bad one.

I am hoping the Hanz knocks it out of the ball park.

In the battle for blockbuster scores for 2013 I will actually pull for Mr. Zimmer over Mr. Giacchino!

I have a feeling Shore will win the year for me next year as he likely will this year. But if you mean summer movies only, can't see any scores I'm excited about beyond Giacchino's Trek 2. Though I don't know who is scoring Robocop or Iron Man 3, and After Earth could be a surprise hit (score)

I'm more shocked that pro-Zimmer words are being posted by Joey. Its all awfully suspicious...

I was strictly talking the two films Star Trek and the Man of Steel. I wasn't thinking in such overall terms.

I personally believe Giacchino is more talented than Zimmer, but Superman is well he's the greatest Superhero of all time. It's more important to the Man of Steel that a great score be provided than it is to Star Trek 2013.

I'm sure Shore's work will be solid as his stuff in the past but I'm not a follower.

I'm more shocked that pro-Zimmer words are being posted by Joey. Its all awfully suspicious...

look at it this way... Zimmer is the composer, there is nothing I can do about it. I can fret or I can accept it. By accepting it I hope that he knocks it out of the proverbial ball park.

I hope Giacchino does a better job this time around, but I want another satisfying Superman score.

Superman Homepage has independently confirmed from two separate theater chains that there will be a Man of Steel teaser attached to prints for The Dark Knight Rises.

http://supermanhomep...?readmore=11638

That's great news. Considering this thread, I'm very curious as to what music they use for the trailer. I can easily see them using a solo trumpet quietly playing the theme. But since it seems Zimmer isn't going to touch the theme, they may stay away from it.