Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Well, i've warned you. It's a soulless and mechanical movie without much charm but plenty of frantic cutting, overloud effects and overlong action sequences, plastered with a score that is as relentlessly loud. Some of the actors are good enough, but they there's only so much they can do.

This isn't a movie that desperately wanted to be to be made - just a blockbuster cash-in on WB's only remaining comic property.

Lately, I can see this happening.

I'm not rushing to see it anyway.

I dont understand this sudden surge of commnets like "This is the Superman film I wanted for years!"

I mean... are the comics like this? so dark and grim? If anyone becomes a fan with the comics...can he crave for this kind of movie?

Well, i've warned you. It's a soulless and mechanical movie without much charm but plenty of frantic cutting, overloud effects and overlong action sequences, plastered with a score that is as relentlessly loud. Some of the actors are good enough, but they there's only so much they can do. This isn't a movie that desperately wanted to be to be made - just a blockbuster cash-in on WB's only remaining comic property.

That is, sadly, the exact impression I get from the various previews and trailers.

I dont understand this sudden surge of commnets like "This is the Superman film I wanted for years!"

I mean... are the comics like this? so dark and grim? If anyone becomes a fan with the comics...can he crave for this kind of movie?

Some comic archs seem to look more like this film (specially action wise) than the older Superman films. However I remember they still had a sense of humour.

I'd love to enjoy this, but if I come out hugely disappointed I will hardly be able to act surprised either. We'll see.

One thing I won't be participating in is the glad, trendy hate of a film, as the world's connected geek contingent love to do, sliding their greasy naked bodies against one another in a virtual orgy of self satisfied glee and comforting clique.

if pub hates it that's probably a good sign.

the reviews seem to be following a pattern, the ones that dislike it and the ones that really seem to love it. The positive reviews are really positive, heaping high praise.

I'd love to enjoy this, but if I come out hugely disappointed I will hardly be able to act surprised either. We'll see.

One thing I won't be participating in is the glad, trendy hate of a film, as the world's connected geek contingent love to do, sliding their greasy naked bodies against one another in a virtual orgy of self satisfied glee and comforting clique.

I'm expecting a Superman Begins, simply because of the explaining of the origins (again). They can go more wild and crazy with the next installments.

Alex - who kinda like Batman Begins

4e_zps130d64f7.jpg

"When writing the next installments, you better think of me, Goyer!"

the reviews seem to be following a pattern, the ones that dislike it and the ones that really seem to love it. The positive reviews are really positive, heaping high praise.

At least for people measuring a film by box office returns.

As for the positive reviews, read them a bit more carefully:

It aches for more depth and warmth and humour, but this is spectacular sci-fi — huge, operatic, melodramatic, impressive. It feels the right Superman origin story for our era, and teases what would be a welcome new superfranchise. / http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=137126

Depth, warmth and humour...the key ingredients in your new huge, operatic, melodramatic superfranchises. Thanks, EO!

I like emotional, beautiful and brutal. That's all art needs to be. Who cares if the characters don't wisecrack like the Marx brothers?!

I like emotional, beautiful and brutal. That's all art needs to be. Who cares if the characters don't wisecrack like the Marx brothers?!

All art needs to be is what you like?

Humour is opposed to emotion, beauty or brutality?

What?

I have seen countless movies which have yearned badly for some Groucho cracks. MAN OF STEEL wouldn't even need that, just a Mute-knob for every patron in the aisles.

I have seen countless movies which have yearned badly for some Groucho cracks. MAN OF STEEL wouldn't even need that, just a Mute-knob for every patron in the aisles.

So it suffers from the Dark Knight Rises syndrome?

At least for people measuring a film by box office returns.

As for the positive reviews, read them a bit more carefully:

It aches for more depth and warmth and humour, but this is spectacular sci-fi — huge, operatic, melodramatic, impressive. It feels the right Superman origin story for our era, and teases what would be a welcome new superfranchise. / http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=137126

Depth, warmth and humour...the key ingredients in your new huge, operatic, melodramatic superfranchises. Thanks, EO!

I measure summer box office returns as a game, not one that measures quality of a film. It might come as a surprise to some pedastal hightened posters here but movies generally are made with the expectation to make money. Studios that don't make money die, Movies that don't make money tend to be forgotten. Craft and art can still be created in the confines of that process.

the review you used highlights one thing you seem to forget it's not a perfect movie, no movie is and no movie is free from critcism.

the review you used highlights one thing you seem to forget it's not a perfect movie, no movie is and no movie is free from critcism.

The review "highlighted" nothing of this, it just was a bit contradictory.

As for MOS, just watch it. If you love it, it's just another nail in the coffin where our mutual love rests.

...and what a relief that is.

Wouldn't want to cramp your style!

Anyway, have the reviews made any mention of the wire work? Or is Supes flight entirely computer generated?

Movies that don't make money tend to be forgotten.

That's not necessarily true...

you are correct, I can tell you one truth, there are more movies out there we're not familiar with than there are films we are familiar with. that is sad.

Huge, operatic, melodramatic, while lacking depth, warmth and humour. In short, it is Batman with a different hero. Exactly what I didn't want it to be.

That has of course been my biggest fear from the beginning. Some would argue that's my problem, but they would be wrong. Anyone other than Superman and they might have a point.

But we'll see. I'm still expecting to be satisfied. If I wasn't a fan of Watchmen I'd be a lot more concerned.

I like to read reviews. Reviews often give me points to ponder but they never make the decision for me if I like or dislike a film.

I reserve the right to decide for myself this weekend if I like the film. Lee, it sounds as if you are prepared to do the same.

Yes, there's no way I'd be influenced by others before seeing a highly anticipated film. It's a shame that so many so easily are.

Anyway, just looking back through the thread I noticed the Empire review. Four stars from them could be interpreted as disconcerting because where movies like this are concerned they tend to be the biggest group of excitable fanboys paid to review movies in England. Either that or their new editor has finally reigned them in a bit. I hope it's the latter.

Personally, I most certainly don't listen to others and take their opinions into consideration when judging a movie.

It's just that the whole look, the whole feel of this film puts me off completely.

By the way, would it kill Zimmer to use a trumpet once in a while, at least for bloody Superman? It's a single mushy sound of a gazillion French horns.

I'm not even going to criticize HZ at this point. I will allow his score to affect me in whatever fashion it does.

I can separate my love for Williams untouchable Superman music, and allow Hans to do whatever he does here.

By the way, would it kill Zimmer to use a trumpet once in a while, at least for bloody Superman? It's a single mushy sound of a gazillion French horns.

Zimmer does use the trumpet. CRIMSON TIDE is full of it, to name one example.

So, that's twice in 18 years?

I'm not sure I should be mad at Zimmer. Ultimately, it was the director's/studio choice to hire a man whose mind apparently gets more and more unstable as time progresses.

I'm on to track 10 of the score and I agree with most that this is pretty generic and forgettable stuff. His Batman scores, for better or worse, did have a somewhat recognizable sound world. I can't hear it in this thus far

I decided to stop at the short samples and trust in the film itself to showcase Zimmer's soundscape. But it does appear that the work he turned in might be even more underwhelming than feared, which if so is quite the achievement. It's pretty fucking lame, let's face it.

Review I just read:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/06/10/man-of-steel-new-250-mil-superman-film-a-costly-downer

Seems like Man Of Steel is a disappointment in the story department, and will only be liked by those who enjoy endless action and visual spectacle with minimal plot and character development.

Could be that we're stuck with a boring yawnsome dialogue fest in Superman Returns and over compensating for major action deficit in that movie with Man of Steel. A happy medium would have been desirable.

Review I just read:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/06/10/man-of-steel-new-250-mil-superman-film-a-costly-downer

Seems like Man Of Steel is a disappointment in the story department, and will only be liked by those who enjoy endless action and visual spectacle with minimal plot and character development.

do you trust this critic enough to give him that much credibility? I've never heard of him.

I guess some critics seem to miss the slapstick humor of the old films because they find MOS humorless. So why did they love Nolan's Batman trilogy?!! I don't think I ever laughed during a Nolan film.

The characters are tonally poles a part. If the new film has attempted to shift Superman's tonal orientation closer to Batman's then it's bound to sit awkwardly. That can't be entirely the case though, because otherwise we'd be seeing universal rejection. My guess is the critics complaining about Man of Steel's graveness are simply tired of Emo cinema creeping into everything, even Superman. That would be me.

Maybe the psychologically challenged superhero has run its course.

Depends on how the audience will be able to relate to the character. If he's goofy and does slapstick scenes (like some conservative critics seem to demand!) then it's over and out with Supes.

Clearly, he doesn't do anything of the sort. That would be completely inappropriate in a reboot which has gone out of its way to differentiate itself from filmic legacy. But it could be that one or two might think they went too far in the other direction.

Burton's Batman movies had a humorful tone. Nolan got rid of that and apparently it works. I see no reason why a more serious Superman can't work either. When I went to see Superman The Movie in the late '70s, the last thing I expected was 'humor'. In fact, my favorite part was and still is the first humorless part, the mythic part, the Americana part.

It's just a loud movie.

Superloud?

Alex