Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

I thought Costner's line deliveries were pretty much spot-on. He's the kind of actor that can elevate mediocre dialogue into something poetic and beautiful. And David Goyer is the epitome of mediocre.

I pray that Snyder gets a better writer to overhaul Goyer's sequel script.

Costner is very good in Eastwood's A Perfect World, among others.

Costner has a distinct introspective style, like Morgan Freeman. He takes his time, everything is very thoughtful, at times even meditative.

Kevin Costner is terribly underrated. I recently watched Mr. Brooks, and he was pretty much perfect in that.

Tin Cup? lol

TIN CUP, BULL DURHAM, FIELD OF DREAMS, all movies to which he was suited just great. He sure is an americana actor like Gary Cooper and doesn't fare terribly well in roles outside that range, but in those he's pretty much perfect.

As for bloated ego crap like POSTMAN, well, every man has to have a hobby and they can't all be sophisticated.

Kevin Costner is terribly underrated. I recently watched Mr. Brooks, and he was pretty much perfect in that.

that is a very fun film that deserved a bigger audience. Too bad they never completed the trilogy.

TIN CUP, BULL DURHAM, FIELD OF DREAMS, all movies to which he was suited just great. He sure is an americana actor like Gary Cooper and doesn't fare terribly well in roles outside that range, but in those he's pretty much perfect.

I'd have to say I agree with this all the way around. His range is indeed limited—but inside that range he has an outstanding ability to render characters who are unpretentious, everyday sorts, which audiences can relate to naturally. (He "humanized" the legend of Elliott Ness in just this way, and that's one of the things that made The Untouchables great.)

Now, having said that . . . beyond this range—say, somewhere in the neighborhood of dreary, post-apocalyptic philosophy crap—he becomes exactly the opposite: a completely pretentious, self-involved prick. He should know his limits and steer clear of exceeding them.

The guy owned it as Hamlet!

Father, I shall avenge thee!

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

- Uni

Brilliant! Absolutely hilarious. I was going to quote a few favorite lines, but there were just too many of them!

And I know that was just tongue-in-cheek fun, but . . . man, did that guy nail it on the head with a lotta that stuff. (Y)

- Uni

Alas, I have no perspective on this movie. I haven't seen it yet, and probably won't in the theatre.

But to Steef's point about nobody complaining about the property damage in The Avengers, I remember finding a rather tongue in cheek assessment that a lawyer would write. I shall seek it, sometime soon, surely.

The deleted scenes in Superman II show Zod and friends being taken to jail, right? Otherwise they vanish into the icy abyss, mere mortals. The Donner cut, I believe, ends with the world being spun backwards again, which sends them back to the Phantom Zone and undoes the whole movie.

The deleted scenes turn Superman from a vague "I won't kill you but I don't have to save you" to "I cannot kill." Significant.

The last 40 minutes is pretty much all about destroying NY.

Strangly not a single person is seen to die or even becoming injured.

Actually, there is not a single shot of a complete building being demolished in The Avengers. There is a lot of destruction, sure, but handled more, shall we say, subtly. MOS shows a lot more horror (bodies being thrown around and stuff) and in that respect, I don't buy it as a superhero movie. And the only reason it happens is because Superman's there.

But, I think, I'm repeating myself. So my MOS rant ends here.

Karol

The last 40 minutes is pretty much all about destroying NY.

Strangly not a single person is seen to die or even becoming injured.

Actually, there is not a single shot of a complete building being demolished in The Avengers. There is a lot of destruction, sure, but handled more, shall we say, subtly.

There's one or two demolished buildings (although Whedon doesn't pay it a lot of attention) due to the giant creatures who also damage the outsides of buildings a lot. But they're after all a invading army. The implication is that it would be much worse if the heroes weren't there.

I really loved the film! I truly believe that Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan achieved what they set out to do: make a great film! I have a new found respect for Snyder now... His last film Sucker Punch wasn't very good. The action scenes were cool but other than that I don't have much to say about that lol! I believe Snyder even called this film his baby because he spent so much time and effort on this. He definately succeeded! Best part of the film was when Superman snapped Zod's neck, completely unexpected for me! AWESOME!

I tried to watch Superman Returns a few weeks ago, watched about 25 minutes of it and couldn't take it anymore! There was not that much action and the story was overall just boring! Snyder did redeem Superman for sure!!! I have seen the film 4 times and seeing it a 5th time on Sunday! I am beyond excited to see what Nolan, Snyder and Goyer have in store for us for the sequel! Sad part is Nolan won't be as involved as he was in this one because of Interstellar.

Thank you Nolan, Snyder and Goyer! You've made me proud and redeemed Superman!

There is a lot of destruction, sure, but handled more, shall we say, subtly.

No we shall not. LMAO ya daft sod!

There's one or two demolished buildings (although Whedon doesn't pay it a lot of attention) due to the giant creatures who also damage the outsides of buildings a lot. But they're after all a invading army. The implication is that it would be much worse if the heroes weren't there.

Oh god I'm surrounded.

Why can't one compare skyscraper destruction and why's the face we make important and how do you know we have a serious face when talking about films that involve skyscraper destruction? Geez Quint!

By the way, does Zod tell people to kneel in the film, or was that also too old fashioned?

By the way, does Zod tell people to kneel in the film, or was that also too old fashioned?

He's too busy telling everyone he will find Kal-El to think about anything else.

Whereas in the originals he's too busy telling everyone they'll kneel before him to be bothered to think about how he'll find them first.

Finally saw it, don't really know what to think.

It's loud, the music is awful and was more obtrusive then TDK scores.

It felt at times I was wayching a Sci-Fi Channel made film with a huge budget and then I had Transformer flashbacks during the final battle scenes.

I almost expected after Supes won for the smoke to clear and everyone standing there, staring at him with pissed off looks on their faces, pointing for him to leave earth.

The destruction was almost comical.

My dad saw it on Saturday with my brother Russ and his wife. He said it was okay but violent as hell. So I'm guessing with that he wasn't too crazy about it. I do agree with him for a Superman movie it was pretty violent.

Regarding building destruction... look at Transformers 3. The Deceptions actually destroyed A LOT of I think....Chicago(?) and we saw people actually dying.

Anyways ya...my dad didn't like the movie that much. I know he really liked Superman Returns but the way how he said about this one I could tell he was turned off a bit by it.