Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

The Illusionist had no magic. Literally and figuratively. The cinematography was very dull with some oddly brown lighting, from what I remember. Edward Norton had no spice, nothing that made him captivating on the stage. Not to mention Philip Glass's score.

Yeah. It was just...bland. I was waiting for something interesting to happen, and it never did. I don't remember much about the score, but I think I considered it to be the only category in which it had a slim edge over The Prestige, which had a singularly dull (if inexplicably semi-effective) score.

Glass's score was just monotonous as usual. Julyan is a master at atonal suspense. As much as I like Zimmer and Nolan's working relationship, I'd still like from him to go back to Julyan at some point. Perhaps even a collaboration.

I'm afraid I agree with Koray here, though I might not have put it so strongly. There was nothing in The Illusionist for me to like, whereas The Prestige had me captivated every time I watched it.

Really, I dislike the Prestige on so many levels.

At least the Illusionist is more honest.

The ending of the Prestige is so dishonest, and Nolan's direction is so disinteresting.

The ending of the Prestige is so dishonest, and Nolan's direction is so disinteresting.

The ending of The Prestige is a big surprise, sure, but dishonest? I definitely don't see it that way. Unconventional, unexpected, and difficult to process, yes...but not dishonest. It was the ending that turned a good film into a great one, IMO. With The Illusionist...well, like I said, there was simply nothing in it that I enjoyed. I guess Paul Giamatti did a pretty good job, and the film certainly succeeds at evoking a time and place, but still...I was pretty disappointed with the film, particularly with The Prestige still fresh in my mind.

I think Joey might be referring to the fact all three main characters prove to be irredeemable in the end. Which is actually a good point. I remember seeing it once with my friend and she said she hated the film because she couldn't care for these pathetic people.

Karol

Yes, like Koray and Meister Full Of Data, I too didn't like watching The Illusionist at all. Except for the occupation of the leading characters, I don't see how the two films are comparable. The films, their style and their themes are completely different.

I didn't like it myself. I thought that the whole revenge was kind of uncalled for. After all this guy didn't do anything all that terrible to the main character. Framing someone for murder merely because that person was an asshole is a bit much. Besides, everything about the film is so detatched emotionally. The artificial look didn't help either. And the tricks seem too improbable to be plausible. As ridiculous as The Prestige might be to some, at least it had this quasi-Faust plot to make it all kind of acceptable.

Karol

The ending of The Prestige is a big surprise, sure, but dishonest? I definitely don't see it that way. Unconventional, unexpected, and difficult to process, yes...but not dishonest. It was the ending that turned a good film into a great one, IMO. With The Illusionist...well, like I said, there was simply nothing in it that I enjoyed. I guess Paul Giamatti did a pretty good job, and the film certainly succeeds at evoking a time and place, but still...I was pretty disappointed with the film, particularly with The Prestige still fresh in my mind.

I agree with Joey here. The ending of the Prestige turned it from a meh film to an awful one. It always feels like it was just trying to cramming as many twists as it could into the finale to please the college 'i love mindfuck' crowd. bleah.

The Illusionist was also very meh.

What surprise ending? 2/3s of the way through you know everything

Yes, like Koray and Meister Full Of Data, I too didn't like watching The Illusionist at all.

That's Da Tameister to you, pal! ;)

What surprise ending? 2/3s of the way through you know everything

I sure didn't! :P Maybe I was just slow back then...or maybe I'm remembering it wrong...

So the wide shot showing all the bodies was supposed to be a surprise?

There is no such shot. They show one body in the tank ;)

BTW it is hardly the most important twist in the story.

Karol

So the wide shot showing all the bodies was supposed to be a surprise?

No, that wasn't a surprise, I don't think. It was just the various revelations toward the end of the film. Maybe I just fell into BurgaFlippinMan's "college 'i love mindf***' crowd" at the time, but I really enjoyed the exercise my brain was getting.

It's not. The "twists" (and in fact the whole structure) serve only as metaphor for trap doors of the tricks themselves, but the film itself about something else entirely. At least that's how I see it.

Karol

Yup that's way this and the closing narration almost leaves a question mark at the end of the picture. I know there were several theories about the film where the Tesla machine didn't work.

Karol

I hated Nolan after I saw it in theaters, because he stole my narration technique that I used for a short film I wrote. Exact same narration in the beginning and in the end, but at those points they meant two completely different things.

I probably wasn't the first person to think of it, but whatever :P

I think many of us tried to write a thriller like this. ;) My first attempt resembled his first movie, Following. I little bit too much. And I haven't seen it at that point. But then any no-budget thriller would try something like that, I guess.

Karol

Zimmer strikes again.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18622/nolan-zimmer-talk-dark-knight-rises

Crap....

Well thank god he won't butcher Williams' theme with his processed music and army of composers.

Actually, from what I've heard, they're not going to use Williams' Theme.....

At the very least though, the Siegel and Shuster estates will see some measure of justice after all this time....

I thought it was debunked that Zimmer isn't doing the score for Superman: The Man Of Steel? If he is I can happily skip the score.

I don't give a rats ass what most of you say about Ottman's Superman Returns, it's better than anything Zimmer can turn out or will turn out if he is doing the score for this film.

I don't give a rats ass what most of you say about Ottman's Superman Returns, it's better than anything Zimmer can turn out or will turn out if he is doing the score for this film.

I loved Ottman's "Superman Returns" score, he did really interesting things with the Williams material, and brought some new ideas of his own to the film. It is pretty clear when listening to the score what's Williams-based and what's Ottman-original (apart from the obvious themes, I mean), but that's fine with me. I saw part of the film again the other day, then decided to listen to the score later. There's some really beautiful, moody stuff in there, really evokes some strong emotions. I think we were lucky that he was as faithful as he was, he could have gone a completely different route, even if Singer wanted it to be a direct continuation of the Chris Reeve films.

I'm sadly not looking forward to the new film, apart from a certain morbid curiosity, especially since the scuttlebutt says it's gonna completely ignore all the other films.

Diane Lane, OK fine, Henry Cavill, he looks pretty good, Kevin Costner... ugh, could we get someone that could actually act, please? And from the trailers of Snyder's "Sucker Punch"... yikes. Thing looks like a videogame cutscene, just like Avatar. Ugh.

I'm sadly not looking forward to the new film, apart from a certain morbid curiosity, especially since the scuttlebutt says it's gonna completely ignore all the other films.

That's the idea behind a reboot.

Michael Giacchino would be a great choice.

Seconded.

No Elfman please. I can't hear those bouncy string runs in a Superman movie. Not even in a "serious" "reboot".

I'd support any talented composer to do write a proper timeless music (it doesn't matter who) and any producer/director with some taste and common sense. ;)

I am still optimistic. Still.

Karol - today's Captain Obvious

It won't be traditionally scored. There won't be any sad strings with French horns when ma Kent cries over the dead body of her husband or slapstick music when goofy Clark Kent keeps rotating the revolving doors of The Daily Planet.

Nope, it'll be full of heavy percussion (THIS SCENE IS INTENSE BECAUSE THERE'S DRUMMING) and lots of heavy metal riffage and power chords. And at least 40% will be "borrowed" from Elliot Goldenthal.

Absolutely not! It's not Avatar! I think it will be Glassy. Koyaanisqatsie ... Is it a bird? ... Koyaanisqatsie ... Is it a plane? ... And when goofie Clark is trapped in the revolving doors of The Daily Planet, we will hear endless orchestral arpeggios accompanying the slow movement of the door. Meanwhile General Zod is approaching Earth ...

;)

It won't be traditionally scored. There won't be any sad strings with French horns when ma Kent cries over the dead body of her husband or slapstick music when goofy Clark Kent keeps rotating the revolving doors of The Daily Planet.

Who says he's even going to die? I don't remember that happening in the comic book.

Karol

I'd be perfectly happy with Elfman.

I guess the next composer suggested will be Alexandre Desplat :rolleyes:

Then we'd get an opening title with a solo piano waltz.

Who would you suggest then?

I think the fact those names are named so often shows how few options there are nowadays.

I would go for Woijiech Kilar, Ilan Eshkeri, Edward Shearmur or Brian Tyler. Or Randy Newman.