Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

I hope Supes doesn't go back in time in this one...

Right, because when he goes back in time to save Lois, he's no longer at Hoover Dam when time restarts and all those millions of people still drown. The stupid movie kinda glazed over that part.

I will wait to see the trailer on the big screen.

The kind of impressionistic shots of corn and house and butterfly and stuff like that. Reminds me of Malick.

Karol

I actually thougtht the same thing and went "yes that's what I want for a Superman film!" But I don't know if the trailer in proper quality will give the same mental association.

meh.

No march. Superman is dead.

This was confirmed already, and was pretty obvious to me a long time ago. Get over it. Batman didn't die without "Nanananananaa" and he didn't die again without Elfman's theme.

It's called a different interpretation. You still have your precious John Williams.

No, these people fear that when the new Superman regime comes into power, the men in black will break into their homes, destroy their Blue Boxes, break their Blu-Rays, and erase the music from their iPods. It does happen in strange parts of the world, and so too will it happen here.

Zimmer should just replace the Superman ostinato and march with the theme to Casualty:

I can so imagine Superman looking phone booths up and down to this. And it'd be so ultra modern it'd clean up at the awards ceremonies.

You want more Lex Luthor and Otis type comedy Alex?

It's probably too soon to tell but the tone seems to be heavy and very serious (or less "crazy", to put it in Snyder's words).

Alex

Hmm... apparently the Comic Con poster of MOS has become the official teaser poster for the film. Our theater got three copies of the poster today, which is the exact same save for the "Comic Con 2012" legend being replaced by "2013."

Not bad for a teaser.

That gives me fucking chills.

And yes between this and Jounrey to the Line we have a good idea of where the musical aspect is going. And yes, a pair of shots do look Malickian! This looks like the kind of Superman film I would enjoy a lot, like some of the somber parts of the comic books... I hope the writing and the story deliver. It needs to deliver.

And knowing Snyder, this is probably the film he's taken more seriously ever.

It strikes me as a humorless movie. Goddamnit Nolan!

My ideal Superman film is shot and told in a similar manner to Drive, plus some humour, and no music in action scenes.

I really hope you're joking, Drive is....well it's not the great movie I heard it was. I find it on the opposite spectrum.

The trailer definitely gave the whole Malick vibe which I found interesting. And I was very surprised with the LotR music.

I loved the teaser they showed before TDKR. Very emotional, and somewhat different. It might give Superman a completely new angle, very different from Richard Donner's version or, in fact, anything else that we've seen before. I'm all for it from now on.

Karol

Aye. I didn't like the flying scene though. But it was very different and I'd say unique for the superhero genre. But then again, after all the hype here, I already walked in expecting a Malickian trailer ;)

I loved the teaser they showed before TDKR. Very emotional, and somewhat different. It might give Superman a completely new angle, very different from Richard Donner's version or, in fact, anything else that we've seen before. I'm all for it from now on.

Karol

Did you already see TDKR? Is it a different teaser trailer than the comic-Con trailer?

I saw TDKR. You guys said the Comic Con trailer had Journey to the Line in it. This one didn't. So I assume they're different trailers.

It's just a one minute trailer, but contains some of the same footage. The Comic-Con used Zimmer's music, this one uses Howard Shore's LOTR (Moria's boy soprano rendition of Gandalf's farewells).

And my opinion on Terrence Malick's vibe stil stands. Even more so now.

Karol

it's a terrible teaser. I saw nothing to raise my hopes. But it's like 30 seconds of music clips, you can't judge the score by.

the look was washed out and boring. I'm sorry but Superman with angst is insulting.

Clark's flight in Smalleville was more interesting.

Hmm, my hopes are seriously rising now. You can learn a lot from negative reactions.

Talking about reactions, how did the Bats audience react to the trailer? Where they booing? Applauding? Confused?

Whether this new Supes film is any good remains to be seen, I just find it amusing that every comic book superhero movie adaptation is now washed in despair and gloom. Makes me appreciate what The Avengers did even more. You're really starting to see the impact Batman Begins had on the genre.

Whether this new Supes film is any good remains to be seen, I just find it amusing that every comic book superhero movie adaptation is now washed in despair and gloom. Makes me appreciate what The Avengers did even more. You're really starting to see the impact Batman Begins had on the genre.

What did The Avengers do that I haven't seen from a Marvel film before?

And if the Malick references that people are reporting are true we might get an impressionistic Supes movie, and no TDK sombreness.

Alex

Talking about reactions, how did the Bats audience react to the trailer? Where they booing? Applauding? Confused?

It's hard to tell that you're watching a Superman trailer. Until you see the logo.

Karol

Hmm, my hopes are seriously rising now. You can learn a lot from negative reactions.

it's such a bad teaser that most people don't even know it's about Superman until the last shot. Which btw is mediocre.

because it offered nothing. The flying scenes in Chronicle looked better than the one in the Man of Steel Teaser.

At least now we know how they were able to tell the story in The Perfect Storm, seems that a young guy named Clark was part of the crew and he survived.

I agree with Joey that the flying shot was poor. But I thought the teaser was fine and curious about the film.

Maybe Kal El takes on a job as a crab fisherman before he answers the calling. You know, the most dangerous job in the world? Appeals to the folks who watch reality TV on the History Channel.

it's such a bad teaser that most people don't even know it's about Superman until the last shot. Which btw is mediocre.

So it isn't clear from the first frame? How is that a bad thing? Keep them guessing and intrigued, I'd say.

I even read a comment today of someone who loved the trailer until he saw the Supes logo.

It feels like a very different Superman. In any case, whatever the quality, that can't be exactly a bad thing, can it?

EDIT: Just watch two slightly different trailers here.

Karol

I wonder if Supes himself is different too. The problem is that, traditionally, he's too perfect and strong as Hulk, qualities that mainly children look up to. And weakening him with Kryptonite has become so boring. I still think it's a risky film to make.