Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

it's such a bad teaser that most people don't even know it's about Superman until the last shot. Which btw is mediocre.

So it isn't clear from the first frame? How is that a bad thing? Keep them guessing and intrigued, I'd say.

I even read a comment today of someone who loved the trailer until he saw the Supes logo.

just the opposite Alex, it's so badly put together noone paid attention

I wonder if Supes himself is different too. The problem is that, traditionally, he's too perfect and strong as Hulk, qualities that mainly children look up to. And weakening him with Kryptonite has become so boring. I still think it's a risky film to make.

Alex look up my previous post. There are links to the two teasers. They're nearly idential.

Or just watch it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-toIu5JscE&feature=relmfu

Karol

It feels like a very different Superman. In any case, whatever the quality, that can't be exactly a bad thing, can it?

EDIT: Just watch both trailer here.

Karol

the only thing different is the narration, one has Crowe narrating, the other Costner.

Why was the trailer music from lord of the rings? i thought it was gonna be The Hobbit trailer for a moment, then i saw the fisherman and was like wtf. Very confusing.

It all points to being the Superman which disappears up its own arse amidst its artsy fartsy "expression" and provocative "style". Superman only in name.

Sound a bit harsh, doesn't it?

Karol

So what happened to this supposed version with Journey to the Line? Or is it that there are people out there who can't tell the difference between Zimmer and Shore?

It all points to being the Superman which disappears up its own arse amidst its artsy fartsy "expression" and provocative "style". Superman only in name.

Obviously you can't see what Snyder and Nolan are trying to do with this film.

I liked the trailer (more than the comic-con one) and understand why people say it has some sort of Malick vibe. Cavil looks handsome and charming, like Superman. And mark my words, like Christopher Reeve he will be able to touch people's hearts. I expect more and different trailers when they have completed scenes containing CGI.

Alex

Obviously you can't see what Snyder and Nolan are trying to do with this film.

I can only hope you're right.

/Superman fanboy

I got shivers when I watched it yesterday on big screen. It is somber, but also very hopeful in a way.

I love that they used Howard Shore's music.

Karol

Okay I just watched it. I do not like the desaturated photography at all. Couple it with the impressively uninspiring shots of Superman thumbing a lift and I'm left with Saving Private Ryan meets Highway to Heaven. Bound to be loads of soul searching and angst. Arrrrrgh! ANGST: the scurvy of 21st century emo-targeted cinema. Even the grass looked depressed. I see no artistry in this handful of imagery at all.

This is not Superman.

On the plus side, I thought the flying shot was pretty good.

So what happened to this supposed version with Journey to the Line? Or is it that there are people out there who can't tell the difference between Zimmer and Shore?

The Comic Con "sizzle reel" used Zimmer's Journey to the Line. The official teaser trailer has Shore's Fellowship of the Ring music.

Personally, I was disappointed with the official teaser trailer. The movie had an accelerated production schedule, where CGI-heavy scenes were shot, edited on set, and sent over to the effects houses for work when filming started almost a year ago. Add the fact that the movie has been in post for over five months, they should have plenty of finished shots to tease audiences with.

Sizzle reel was so much better.

Imperfect, but I gotta admit: I got chills. But of course, "The Planet Krypton" and Marlon Brando's dialogue will do that.

On seeing the Jor-El V.O. trailer, I'm liking where they're going. A lot of concern has been around about how much they'll darken Superman's character, but Jor-El's dialogue is wonderfully hopeful, and the fact that they're talking about Superman as an ideal for humanity to learn from and aspire to sounds like they're dead on to me.

Also, love the wide, foggy shot of the farm.

On the plus side, I thought the flying shot was pretty good.

That was the only thing I didn't like about the trailer I saw. The contrast with the naturalism of that clip is simply too great. It didn't quite gel with the simplicity of it all. I hope it's one specific and spectacular moment (just like the crazy flying around Earth to reverse its rotation was a one time deal in Donner's film) and that the flying will be handled differently for the rest of the film.

Alex

I have to give them credit for trying something completey different than the other Superman films. In the original Donner film he basically goes on a 2001: A Space Odyssey trip and emerges as superman and immediately falls into the play acting of Clark Kent the reporter. It will be nice to see him build up to it. I just don't want a depressed and drab Superman in a depressed and drab looking movie. Superman is supposed to be uplifting.

You guys are judging this film by a teaser trailer? Seriously come on now. Most teaser trailers look like crap anyways. Wait until a full trailer comes out in a few months.

Trent brings up a good point! A lot of teasers are shite.

Sometimes the teaser is better than the finished article... Superman Returns...

Lee - who wonders whether this new version will feature a sequence anywhere near as breathtakingly spectacular and tense as the plane rescue in SR - one of the best action sequences in the last twenty years of cinema.

It's just a one minute trailer, but contains some of the same footage. The Comic-Con used Zimmer's music, this one uses Howard Shore's LOTR (Moria's boy soprano rendition of Gandalf's farewells).

Karol

Edward Ross?

Arrrrrgh! ANGST: the scurvy of 21st century emo-targeted cinema. Even the grass looked depressed. I see no artistry in this handful of imagery at all.

This is not Superman.

Wow, thank you. I totally agree. I'm utterly sick of highly edited, high contrast, desaturated movies. When was the last time I saw one that was in normal coloring? Hmmmmmmm sure as heck wasn't HP Twilight or Hunger Games

I love, just effing love how Trent tells us not to judge then Alex comes in with stars...

I dunno, I thought the sequel was better (best of 2017, actually). Snyder had a better handle on the material, and Robin Williams made for a dynamite Mxyzptlk!

Seriously though, I really can't get my head around how anyone could find the visual style of this thing encouraging. It's dreary and cliché as hell. Malik?! He shoots with FAR more interesting palettes than this. Where is the tone and hue of a Malick film? On any other day I'd be expressing my disappointment that Snyder had copied Malick's style, for a Superman movie, but compared to what we appear to be getting, I'd be positively relieved.

Wow, thank you. I totally agree. I'm utterly sick of highly edited, high contrast, desaturated movies. When was the last time I saw one that was in normal coloring? Hmmmmmmm sure as heck wasn't HP Twilight or Hunger Games

I thought it had a natural and soft look (colors and sharpness). Of course, the film might end up looking very differently after final color grading. Normal coloring would be the usual Marvel film. No shortage of that.

Snyder should have shot it in exactly the same way he did Watchmen. Now THAT would have been very encouraging.

One of the main points of a trailer is to demonstrate the direction and tone they are going with. In this case, the choice of music is apt in that way. That the cue underscored the death of a character in another movie concerns me - here it's depressingly serious and, "Ooo, I'm so conflicted." Yawn. Bafflingly, the choice of music used appears to have been embraced here. Which points to one thing: I'm surrounded by angst. The horror, the horror...

The level of innuendo reaching critical! Danger! Danger! MB evacuation imminent!