Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Give it a rest. You're being so ridiculous Quint that you have me defending Snyder. You have your precious Superman, watch it again if you love it so much (and I know you will).

Last time someone tried to mimic Donnor as closely as possible we got Superman Returns. Let someone else realize their vision.

You just don't get what Snyder is trying to accomplish, do you?

The whole premise of this film is: What if Superman was just a regular human being?

I find that mesmerizing.

he wouldn't be superman then would he, what a stupid idea.

I said face palm in a rehearsal once and the kids were in utter hysterics. Yes young'uns I too know the joys of teen slang, yolo!

Just my opinion: I don't like the typical 'superhero' movies. I do enjoy Nolan's Batman films. I didn't like Superman Returns because it felt like a concept done a bit too often.

This trailer however got my attention. We already have Superman The Movie and countless films modelled after that one. This is going to be something different, something nobody could have made back in 1978.

It could even turn out to be a vastly superior film.

no it can't. Zack Znyder is directing.

I'm just hoping it will be solid and good.

Is it not allowed here to express dislike of the trailer without it automatically being presumed that the naysayers only want a Donner carbon copy? Because it may come as a bit of a shock to learn that that's fucking bullshit.

Leave that era of Superman be, it's over. But that shouldn't mean it has be this depressingly stark and whiny emo version which appeals to the Koray Savas' of the world, either. Embrace the boldness and soul of the fable, be proud of the Superman legacy. None of this post modern expressionism lark. Like the greatest heroic cinema: the character is the movie. This style wouldn't work for Indiana Jones as much as it wouldn't work for Robocop! Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop someone like Snyder from thinking he knows better, there. I'm beginning to think that some commentators have no concept of what it means for a comic creation to have an aesthetic consistency, a familiar 'feel'. Reimagine it, yes, but don't ever make a bright and colourful Batman movie. Remember what happened when they did? The power of a recognisable tone is of far more importance than the fanciful, or lazy aspirations of people who couldn't really care less about the subject and just want a movie to fend off the relentless onset of boredom.

And just to blow Koray's mind even further: I'm still looking forward to seeing the finished article and I truly hope it turns out as good as Watchmen. Am I being cautious about that? Bloody right I am.

I've read Superman comic books that were vastly different and nobody ever gave a fuck about that. And some were like that trailer. But one day somebody makes a film and some loose their mind bitching about "post modern expressionism lark".

Just my opinion: I don't like the typical 'superhero' movies. I do enjoy Nolan's Batman films. I didn't like Superman Returns because it felt like a concept done a bit too often.

This trailer however got my attention. We already have Superman The Movie and countless films modelled after that one. This is going to be something different, something nobody could have made back in 1978.

It could even turn out to be a vastly superior film.

My guess is that the Superman in this film is going to be less old-fashioned, less perfect and naive than the one from Donner or Singer. They want to make a Superman that is ready for in the 21st century. Maybe it will work, maybe not. However, if it doesn't work, then Superman as a movie character is dead. This is his last chance.

I wouldn't have mind a Watchmen approach, like Quint proposes, but a lot of people would've objected to that style so they are going for an earthy and realistic 'vibe'. Who knows, maybe they are slowly bringing the universes of Batman and Superman together, you know, to have an answer for Marvel's The Avengers. (DC's ensemble of superheroes is called Justice League, I believe?)

Alex

At this point I'm willing to give any Superman film a try, because if this falls flat then it may be a long long time before it recovers. Two failed movies in a row does not a a confident distributor make.

Is it not allowed here to express dislike of the trailer without it automatically being presumed that the naysayers only want a Donner carbon copy? Because it may come as a bit of a shock to learn that that's fucking bullshit.

Leave that era of Superman be, it's over. But that shouldn't mean it has be this depressingly stark and whiny emo version which appeals to the Koray Savas' of the world, either. Embrace the boldness and soul of the fable, be proud of the Superman legacy. None of this post modern expressionism lark. Like the greatest heroic cinema: the character is the movie. This style wouldn't work for Indiana Jones as much as it wouldn't work for Robocop! Though I'm sure that wouldn't stop someone like Snyder from thinking he knows better, there. I'm beginning to think that some commentators have no concept of what it means for a comic creation to have an aesthetic consistency, a familiar 'feel'. Reimagine it, yes, but don't ever make a bright and colourful Batman movie. Remember what happened when they did? The power of a recognisable tone is of far more importance than the fanciful, or lazy aspirations of people who couldn't really care less about the subject and just want a movie to fend off the relentless onset of boredom.

And just to blow Koray's mind even further: I'm still looking forward to seeing the finished article and I truly hope it turns out as good as Watchmen. Am I being cautious about that? Bloody right I am.

You said something along the lines that everything in the trailer is not Superman, the cinematography, music, etc. You're insinuating the opposite is Superman, which would leave you with what came before. At least that's how I interpreted your remarks. If I was wrong, so be it. But to say this style doesn't work for a certain type of character... why not? With comic book heroes, characters go through several different types of interpretations, why can't they do the same on film? Is it because you've grown too attached to a singular vision? ;)

For the record, this doesn't really appeal to me. It is Snyder after all. I'm intrigued by the comic con trailer with Zimmer's music used. I'd like to see that, but the two teasers that are out now don't really do anything for me.

EDIT

Saw the Comic Con trailer. I might actually be looking forward to this now.

You can dress up the corpse, but you can't bring it back to life...

Since all those calamitous blockbusters are based on another boring variation of saving the world from another archvillain striving for world domination, hear myself yawn from now till the this flick has vanished in the already too large pile of fire-sale dvd's for 1,99$.

I'm intrigued by the comic con trailer with Zimmer's music used. I'd like to see that, but the two teasers that are out now don't really do anything for me.

If Zimmer is all you want, better avoid the film and buy the soundtrack.

You can dress up the corpse, but you can't bring it back to life...

Since all those calamitous blockbusters are based on another boring variation of saving the world from another archvillain striving for world domination, hear myself yawn from now till the this flick has vanished in the already too large pile of fire-sale dvd's for 1,99$.

The plot is only one thing. I mainly want to see the fruit of the collaboration between two directors who couldn't be more different from one another. I want to see how they think they can save an endangered superhero. I want to see their presentation. Even an old story can come to life again if the presentation is good (see Alien or Star Wars). And after Sucker Punch, it will be interesting to see how Snyder is like when he's kept short on a leash.

Here's the ComicCon trailer

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBPTeDSiTM

Massive chills at the shot of of Clark as a kid posing with the cape. And I'm not even a Superman fan.

Also I guess Snyder officially loves Supes' cape. Cue shot of the very long cape flowing. Cue shot of the cape from behind.

I want to know if CK still changes into Superman in a phone booth, since they're terribly antiquated now that everyone has a cell phone. Some even have two, if you believe Blume.

Now a porta-potty on a street corner...THAT'S modern.

I want to know if CK still changes into Superman in a phone booth, since they're terribly antiquated now that everyone has a cell phone. Some even have two, if you believe Blume.

Now a porta-potty on a street corner...THAT'S modern.

Now a porta-potty on a street corner...THAT'S NASTY.

I'm intrigued by the comic con trailer with Zimmer's music used. I'd like to see that, but the two teasers that are out now don't really do anything for me.

Zimmer is not all I want, in fact I already have the music used, but if you watch the video Chaac posted it doesn't look like Snyder's usual green screen mess. Of course it's still hard to tell considering there were only a few shots of the film's action, but I'd like to see more. You see, I don't want to hate Snyder, he just brings it upon himself :P

Massive chills at the shot of of Clark as a kid posing with the cape. And I'm not even a Superman fan.

Probably due to Zimmer's music. Even the guy recording was like "Oohhhh the music!"

Hopefully the score won't be bland... It really does suck how most film makers these days prefer such a bland and boring score. A lot of scores these days virtually have no themes. Again most not all.

Zimmer is not all I want, in fact I already have the music used, but if you watch the video Chaac posted it doesn't look like Snyder's usual green screen mess. Of course it's still hard to tell considering there were only a few shots of the film's action, but I'd like to see more. You see, I don't want to hate Snyder, he just brings it upon himself :P

Probably due to Zimmer's music. Even the guy recording was like "Oohhhh the music!"

I always liked that piece. It's gorgeous.

A yes I'm happy that the film so far doesn't seem to have much of that greenscreen look.

The whole score is gorgeous. The poignant beauty of Zimmer's introspective music is sublime.

Its one of my personal favourites as well (although not quite at the top). I often refer to it as musical poetry. There is such grace to The Thin Red Line that makes it such a wonderful experience.

I envy you for having met him. He's one of those composers I'd love to have a few words with. I'd probably tell him Beyond Rangoon is my favourite of his (tied with Prince of Egypt). I'm sure he doesn't hear that often ;)

Well I'm sure he holds great respect for that score. After all, it was a very significant part of his career and went on play a significant role in his future works.