Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The last decade of film: Oh man, I almost forgot. Inside a government/corporate/jail/industrial building? BLUE GREEN AMBIANCE! So artistic.

I understand it was something the Fleischer cartoons started to prop sprites when the gloom of war was hitting American shores. And I don't disagree it was a vital part of the character for a long ti

Finally saw it, don't really know what to think. It's loud, the music is awful and was more obtrusive then TDK scores. It felt at times I was wayching a Sci-Fi Channel made film with a huge budget and

The full trailer of Man Of Steel is coupled with The Hobbit! That means Peter Jackson doesn't hate Zack Snyder at all, you Jacksonites!

Alex - wondering if some members of the audience will think: "Hmm, The Hobbit left me underwhelmed, maybe I've grown out of it, but that Supes movie sure looks likes something else!"

Guess what: at this point I'm actually looking forward to hearing what Hans comes up with. I think he might deliver a superb ultra-modern signature theme for Supes. I don't think it'll sound anything like Batman's.

If this film is to succeed in reinventing the franchise then Williams was the first person who had to be removed. Even if he was scoring it, it would be the dull, highly technical and sophisticated modern Williams sound I do not have any affinity with. His original Superman score had a rawness and attack which would be completely absent today. The new score would have disappointed.

I think there will be just as much (if not more) people underwhelmed by Man Of Steel that will move away from Snyder and head over to The Hobbit and Jackson.

Of course, but that's to be expected in a room full of Jacksonites. They don't need to see the trailer for that. But a Jacksonite standing up to the audience, knowing fully well his fellow Jacksonites will dispel him, someone who isn't afraid to be different from the collective, now that's a person I'm interested in, for it might indicate humanity is not lost yet. There are still some who have a free spirit. Yes, it can be lonely out there but at least we are individuals.

It's not useless, it will happen. It maybe only one viewer per showing but it's those people I'm interested in.

I think there will be just as much (if not more) people underwhelmed by Man Of Steel that will move away from Snyder and head over to The Hobbit and Jackson.

even if I'm underwhelmed that's not going to happen. the hobbit is just too damned geeky and nerdy.

It's not useless, it will happen. It maybe only one viewer per showing but it's those people I'm interested in.

even if I'm underwhelmed that's not going to happen. the hobbit is just too damned geeky and nerdy.

Indeed. There's definitely a legitimate opposition to Middle-Earthian fiction, always has been. Some people just don't like fantasy and are completely turned of by grimly serious dungeons & dragons sagas. It's fair enough. The exact same applies to Star Wars and Star Trek - the latter of which coincidentally is arguably widely regarded as the most "geeky and nerdy" entertainment of them all.

Some folk just can't stomach entire genres of entertainment and they shouldn't feel the need to explain themselves. These things, however popular they might get, are still cults at the end of the day.

Out of all those, my brother would probably go see The Hobbit. I convinced him to go see all three TLOTR movies, which he enjoyed, but he really hates comic book movies. Then I have to explain that the Nolan Batman movies and The Punisher are comic book movies, but he doesn't want to hear that. Superman, he'd never go see that.

I regret not seeing Superman Returns on the big screen just because it got bad word of mouth and the person I was at the time, she with didn't want to see it on the big screen. So rather than see it myself (like I did with Star Trek 2009), I skipped it. I think I would have fallen asleep during the middle act, but when he landed the airliner in the ballpark...that would've been worth the price of admission. I won't make that mistake again.

well Star Wars and Star Trek are nerdy, naturally, but not geeky and nerdy.

The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".[1]

Although often considered as a pejorative, the term is also often used self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride.

So...computer experts aren't into Star Trek or Star Wars? Folks who collect every single Star Wars action figure or decorate their apartments like a TNG-era starship aren't heavily interested in their hobby? Folks who plan to buy LaLaLand's TOS box set and listen to it aren't non-mainstream enthusiasts? News to me, bub.

You must just get offended for being a Star Trek/Star Wars fan but also get called a geek. Me, I don't care if you call me a nerd, geek, or dork, I am what I am and like what I like. Words are just that.

I'm feeling unexcited about this film again. Ok, the film could be good, and it would be possible to do cool things with Superman and his world. But I realize that a Superman film is just not what I'm crazy about seeing.

I have never worn Star Wars, Star Trek, or LOTR clothing.

I have an Yoda t-shirt. And a Marvel's Thor t-shirt (comic book version). I think that's it. I have nothing LOTR or Star Trek (I'm not a Trek fan).

My mother bought me a lot of Star Wars T-shirts, many of which no longer fit but I am working to get that under control (though not to that end...it'd be nice to fit into L shirts instead of only XL...or at least have L be tight because of chest and arms instead of only belly, but I digress). I have also bought myself some Star Wars shirts as well.

I have at least two Star Trek shirts, but they're crossovers with other genres. I wanted to get the gold shirt from a 2009 cereal box promo but I didn't react in time. I have zero LOTR, Stargate, or BSG apparel, but I do have a Doctor Who T-shirt, at least two Simpsons shirts, at least two Spider-Man shirts, and one Superman shirt. Three or four shirts of musical groups. The rest are sports teams or just plain nothing.

I do have a Green Lantern, and two Superman t-shirts, Dave has a Spiderman and Flash.

and we have several Big Bang inspired T-shirts. Rock Paper Scissor Lizard Spock, BAZINGA, and the mans evolution t-shirt into robot.

your turn Quint, tell us what geeky, nerdy, dweeby t-shirts you have. A video gamer like you is bound to have something??? At the very least a very cool(not geeky, nerdy, any derogatory term) Jaws shirt.

My concessions to geekdom are a Jaws mug for large cups of tea at work, a Halo "Legendary" t-shirt and a John Williams is the Man t-shirt. The latter of which I have worn to the pub.

I definitely want that BAZINGA! one (now that I know it exists).

Actually...

Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg

Hey, I wonder what sort of person makes such a chart?

Jaws is...cool.

Jaws is neat-o.

Jaws is awesome.

Jaws is swell.

Jaws is popular, like in a social hierarchy.

Jaws is nice.

Jaws is wicked (New England style, not evil).

Jaws is good or great.

Jaws is not warm, but not cold.

Jaws is okay with each other, not mean to each other, but not necessarily nice, just not mean.

Jaws is a word to use when you don't know what else to say, or when you are not that interested in the conversation. Sometimes, it can be used when you do not have any knowledge of the subject, yet you want to act as if you know-it-all.

Jaws is laid back, relaxed, not freaked out, knows what's goin on, and has come to mean anything popular.

Jaws is very good, stylish, or otherwise positive.

Jaws is superior, desirable, worthy of approval.

Jaws is in or beyond the current style; in harmony with an ineffable sophistication.

Jaws is graceful despite pressure.

Jaws is relaxed, calm, low-key, mellow.

Jaws is agreeable.

Jaws is trustworthy; not a narc.

Jaws is under self-control, despite appearances.

Jaws is reconciled.

Jaws is above and beyond a situation.

Jaws is characterized by strange masteries and hidden resources.

I guess some of those work. Suit yourself.

Jaws is cool.

Jaws is wicked (New England style, not evil).

That's not how wicked works here. It just means "really", as in "Jaws is wicked cool" = "Jaws is really cool."

Calling something "wicked" is what Ron Weasley does in the Harry Potter movies

Surprised you didn't know better being from PA

Well like I told you, I didn't re-examine what the Urban Dictionary told me by using my PA glasses. I do not use the word "wicked" as an adverb in this sense; I usually use it as an adjective to in fact mean evil, and I certainly don't define words based on the works of JK Rowling. I'm sure that if you found what I wrote to be heinous enough, you would edit my original post, ban me, or launch a message to Urban Dictionary. Because they do use it as an adverb, quite ceremoniously in fact:

Wicked 2792 up, 443 down

October 31, 2005 Urban Word of the Day

New England slang that adds emphasis. Synonymous with really, very andhella.

To describe how great something is: "This car is wicked cool!"

To show aggravation: "This fucking guy is a wicked asshole!"

To show frustration: "That guy is wicked slow!"

To show amazement: "Wow, that game is wicked awesome!"

To describe a person: "She's a wicked bitch!"

To describe the weather: "Man, it's wicked hot out here!"

To emphasize feelings: "That story made me wicked sad!"

To exaggerate your point: "That took a wicked long time!"

"That wicked cool car is wicked fast is owned by that wicked old guy, who drives it wicked slow when it's wicked hot out, which makes me wicked sad cause I'm wicked broke and I got to walk a wicked long way."

We named our son Bruce by the way ;)

Lee, meet your son. Bruce, Lee, Lee, Bruce.

you have a lawyer? I have gone through life without ever needing one.

I had an interesting read that Zack Snyder was against taking away Superman's red tights, and the story is a stand alone effort. But I cannot find the link. maybe it was at Darkhorizons.com

I had an interesting read that Zack Snyder was against taking away Superman's red tights, and the story is a stand alone effort. But I cannot find the link. maybe it was at Darkhorizons.com

They have a similar article at Yahoo! It's not the red tights, it's his "iconic" red briefs that he wears over his blue pants. The headline of the article is clever.

However, this is not a big deal because DC has already "officially" changed his costume in the newer "52" line of comics: Superman sports a red belt to interrupt the all-blue flow from his torso to his legs, but no red underpants.

My beef with the new movie costume is that it creates an illusion of solid blue nudity for Superman, aside from the "S" emblazoned on his chest. While somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Manhattan, it may work onscreen, where his Superbulge will appear bigger than just a bird or a plane...

My beef with the new movie costume is that it creates an illusion of solid blue nudity for Superman, aside from the "S" emblazoned on his chest. While somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Manhattan, it may work onscreen, where his Superbulge will appear bigger than just a bird or a plane...

Just imagine he's wearing his red briefs under his suit, rather than the other way around.

I was just thinking hard whether or not I am excited for this film. [...] But this Nolan-ised version leaves me more than cold.

So, you're just going to dismiss the movie... before it's even out? Wow.

That seems a common concept these days.

Seriously, it's the concept I have no interest in; the movie itself, within said concept, may be very good. But I never was the biggest fan of Superman, and that "we did it to Batman, let's do it to Superman" mentality seems fishy.