Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Jaws (yes, you read it right)

Why the immediate defensiveness? It's a great, great movie.

I don't think history will prove you two right. Just a hunch, that's all. Snyder seems pretty good, but nothing out of the ordinary and certainly nothing special.

I agree. His movies that I've seen have been entertaining but forgettable. I don't see that much distinction between him and Michael Bay, other than he seems a bit more of a geek.

I don't think history will prove you two right. Just a hunch, that's all. Snyder seems pretty good, but nothing out of the ordinary and certainly nothing special.

I agree. His movies that I've seen have been entertaining but forgettable. I don't see that much distinction between him and Michael Bay, other than he seems a bit more of a geek.

And Michael Bay takes his films less seriously, making for a better action product IMO. And Jablonsky > Bates

What I would do with the score of a new version of Superman: no score in action scenes (usage of sound effects only might be cool). Dramatic, lovely, JNH style score for the rest of the film. Original recordings of William's Superman when the film deals with people's perception of Superman (ie: Supes on the news) and the credits.

3 Doors Down did a song about Superman they should make the score for the new movie itd be so awesome itd be sick id like it so much thanks kay bye

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hack Snyder direction is like kryptonite. What an utter disaster this film will be.

I can just see Supermans's six pack airburshed in.

unlike Christian Bale with his gruff whisper, I'm Batman,

whoever plays Clark/Superman will yell out loud...

I

AM

SUPERMAN

I somehow doubt Zimmer will score Snyder's Superman. We don't have a direct quote, but the article said he's working on it. Doesn't necessarily mean composer, could very well just produce and oversee the score much like Nolan is doing with the film.

Zimmer strikes again.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18622/nolan-zimmer-talk-dark-knight-rises

Crap....

Well thank god he won't butcher Williams' theme with his processed music and army of composers.

"Zimmer is also working on the Nolan-produced "Superman" reboot and says that he won't be reusing John Williams' legendary theme, but will try and do something as resonate and iconic with the music that also sounds familiar - much like the work he's done on the "Batman" films following on from the iconic Danny Elfman-theme used in "Batman" and "Batman Returns"."

Huh. That article seems to suggest that Zimmer's work on his Batman films is "much like...resonate and iconic."

Oh wait, it says "try and do." Ok, nice try.

Zimmer + Superman...

This can't end well.

Is this the first time Zimmer and Williams have both scored films about the same character?

No. Zimmer scored "Frost/Nixon" and Williams scored "Nixon." Richard Milhous Nixon: what a character!

I really don't want Zimmer or his cronies coming anywhere near this film. The only RC person I see doing this the way Nolan wants -- without dumbing it down -- is John Powell. He's shown enormous growth and puts thought into writing and orchestration.

I'd prefer it if Nolan let Snyder pick the composer. But c'est la vie..

The article by Garth Fraklin states it as a fact, and is clearly backing itself up by quoting from the NBC article ("I'll start long before he starts shooting") but this is the part on Superman:

Given that Nolan is also overseeing the development of a renewed revival of “Superman” helmed by Zack Snyder, Popcorn Biz had to ask Zimmer’s opinion on a burning question, whether he works on that film or not: do you re-employ John Williams’ theme for the Man of Steel, one of the most lauded scores in film history, or do you start anew with a fresh, fully original score?

“It's a hard one,” mused Zimmer, “but I followed one of the most iconic things on 'Batman' with Chris as well, and it's the same thing. You are allowed to reinvent, but you have to try to be as good or at least as iconic and it has to resonate and it has to become a part of the zeitgeist. That's the job. On 'Gladiator' I remember people always talking about 'Spartacus' and I kept telling them, 'When you saw "Spartacus" and how it affected it you, that's how I want a modern audience to be affected by what we do now.' So I think ultimately you're supposed to reinvent.

So is this the part were Zimmer admits that his reinvention of Batman wasn't as good as Elfman's (or Goldenthal's) and so announces that he's going with JW after all, seeing how his vain earlier attempt failed?

Wait a minute... IS FUCKING ZIMMER DOING SUPERMAN?

Regardless of whether or not the article is wrong or right or misquoted, if I were posting odds in Vegas, I'd have Zimmer at 3-1 odds.

Even if they don't actually get Zimmer, you know they'll tell whoever does get hired to sound like him. Lose/lose.

Tyler Bates, frequent Snyder collaborator, might actually be worse. Luckily neither have yet to actually sign on to do it.

I know this will sound cliche, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really want Michael Giacchino to do this.

Now, this is just me trying to temper my pessimism until we actually know something, but two things to consider: A) Snyder went with Hirschfelder for Legend of the Guardians, and that indicates to me (even though it may not have been the greatest fantasy score ever) that Snyder will consider composers according to projects: Bates usually works for the kind of projects he tends to do, so he collaborates with him, but he needed something different for LotG, and chose accordingly. B) Nolan has commented frequently on his awareness that Superman is a different animal, requiring a somewhat different handling. Now, even if they still went with Zimmer or someone like him, at the very least, I think that they would be doing an approach at least a bit different than Batman. Who knows how different. We'll see. It's enough to keep me cautiously neutral at the moment.

Was Singer wrong to use JW's music in the first place?

In retrospect, this all points to one thing: a lot of film music fans are ungrateful little shits.

Last time we DID get a symphonic score which paid tribute to the Williams original; and spoilt Internet brats still weren't happy, "Ottman butchered it! Blah blah blah. Now we may get something else entirely, and of course they whine some more.

No matter what happens with Superman, the fans won't be happy, so thinking about it, I think the producers are completely correct to ignore what the fans might want. Heck even if John Williams himself did the job folk would be on here moaning about how "disappointing" and "meh" it turned out. Indiana Jones 4 anyone?

I'm not gonna bother wasting my time thinking about how this new movie might turnout anymore. I think that's the sensible road.

I'm one of the few who are happy with the Ottman score. It doesn't deserve the back lash it's getting from a lot of fans. Personally I enjoy Ottman's Superman Returns more than Williams Superman: The Movie.

While the complete score has improved my opinion of Ottman's work for Superman Returns, it tries to pay tribute to the original while being too scared of being "old-fashioned" or "corny," and thus changing some of the things that made the original work. The reharmonization of the Love Theme is one example--I'm okay with it as a variation, but the absence of the original harmonization in-story is disappointing--and the similar absence of the A theme throughout the story is grating. The sensibility just isn't there. The problem with the score is the same problem as the rest of the film: It tries to do a halfway tribute, but it holds just enough on-the-nose homage to make the deviations grating. It's enjoyable enough in and of itself, but it didn't quite achieve what it was trying to accomplish.

Telling fans, "Hey, you got a symphonic score! What are you bitching about?" is akin to saying, "Hey, we gave you what you want! What's your problem with the Ultimate Edition?" or "Hey, we gave you the original versions on the 2004 DVDs? What's the big deal?"

No, my point is that no matter what they do people will be unhappy on messageboards like this one.

That is to ignore the fact that your Ultimate Edition album analogy is completely ridiculous - comparing a niche product aimed at the enthusiast crowd is not the same thing as writing a score which works for the film.

Now, this is just me trying to temper my pessimism until we actually know something, but two things to consider: A) Snyder went with Hirschfelder for Legend of the Guardians, and that indicates to me (even though it may not have been the greatest fantasy score ever) that Snyder will consider composers according to projects: Bates usually works for the kind of projects he tends to do, so he collaborates with him, but he needed something different for LotG, and chose accordingly. B) Nolan has commented frequently on his awareness that Superman is a different animal, requiring a somewhat different handling. Now, even if they still went with Zimmer or someone like him, at the very least, I think that they would be doing an approach at least a bit different than Batman. Who knows how different. We'll see. It's enough to keep me cautiously neutral at the moment.

Are you so sure that Snyder chose Hirshfelder?

In retrospect, this all points to one thing: a lot of film music fans are ungrateful little shits.

Last time we DID get a symphonic score which paid tribute to the Williams original; and spoilt Internet brats still weren't happy, "Ottman butchered it! Blah blah blah. Now we may get something else entirely, and of course they whine some more.

No matter what happens with Superman, the fans won't be happy, so thinking about it, I think the producers are completely correct to ignore what the fans might want. Heck even if John Williams himself did the job folk would be on here moaning about how "disappointing" and "meh" it turned out. Indiana Jones 4 anyone?

I'm not gonna bother wasting my time thinking about how this new movie might turnout anymore. I think that's the sensible road.

So the moral of the story is that all future installments of the Superman franchise should be scored by the John Williams of the late 70s. Easy enough solution, I think.

But seriously, regarding Superman Returns, I was never offended by the score or anything...I just don't have much interest in it.

Ottman 'stole' a franchise from Williams and isn't very popular.

If Zimmer does the next one, I can picture Joey and KM sending death threats.

I'm one of the few who are happy with the Ottman score. It doesn't deserve the back lash it's getting from a lot of fans. Personally I enjoy Ottman's Superman Returns more than Williams Superman: The Movie.

*thumbs up*

I agree. Maybe except for that I look forward to see this film more than I look forward to see the third Batman. I mean we haven't seen an interesting take on Superman since... 1978. That film is great fun, of course, and a classic. But I want to see something else now. For my generation Superman: The Movie was already a period piece. I wasn't even born when it came out and the character I've always known is from the late 80's where Lex Luthor was actually a badass. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie. But this isn't my Superman. I was growing up loving the latter versions. And it makes sense to me to "update" it.

Karol

But seriously, regarding Superman Returns, I was never offended by the score or anything...

Some were though, sad that it is.

Oh, I'm aware of that. Just stating my own position, for what it's worth. :lol: