Sampling John Williams?

GoodMusician

So it's been a while since Ive been here but I coudn't think of any other forum that might find this interesting.

I've been watching the X Files lately and I'm in about the middle of Season 3 on an episode called "Oubliette," when I noticed something in Mark Snow's music...

This... obviously 90's instrumental flourish... a sort of... orchestral hit.

Anyway, it's used over and over again...and strangely enough, I've been listening to Jurassic Park a lot lately... and I swear... this must be sampled from Jurassic Park.

The cue itself is called "T-Rex to the Rescue (13m1-14m1)." It's only a few seconds in... and I've compared the two and the pitch is identical... and there is a solo horn that continues to play after the hit, and even that is intact lol...

Its just kinda funny becuase I wonder, how prolific is this practice? And do they have to get special liscence to do it?

Just curious if anyone knew...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just kinda funny becuase I wonder, how prolific is this practice? And do they have to get special liscence to do it?

If it's short and insubstantial enough, I figure it's fair use.

Reminds me of the opening to the Fight Club score. It starts off with the crackling of a record player and then a very brief orchestral moment before seguing into the actual score. I'm convinced this is the opening of Schumann's 3rd symphony (I think it's the third... been a few years since I listened, so it might be one of the other 3).

I wasn't sure how to give a comparison... the last time I was here, it was strictly forbade to upload things and give links such as this... unless things have changed...

The might of YouTube eliminates all copyright annoyances.

Right... well, Here are two samples:

This is the segment from the Jurassic Park score... its like 6 seconds - http://www.fileupyours.com/view/204581/jpbite.mp3

Here are two segments of audio rip from the episode The first is a bit long but it shows how many times he uses it in this chase - http://www.fileupyours.com/view/204581/XBITE1.mp3

Second segment: its used in the beginning and at the end of this tidbit - http://www.fileupyours.com/view/204581/XBITE2.mp3

listen especially to that horn that plays after the hit... you can hear it each time...

and this is the episode : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751172/

I dunno. Seems like one of those fine line things that really wouldn't matter except to lawyers.

Kinda like - ya you could argue JW sampled "A Spoon Full of Sugar" in the "Imperial March", but why bother?

well.. .I could care less if it's plagarism... I just dunno what the protocal is... if he has to get rights to sample from that...

or if you can do that... because its so small...

And its definately samples from that track.. because it's identical... just found it interesting.

I knew what bit it was going to be before I opened the samples. I've always noticed that similarity, never crossed my mind it would be exactly the same though.

That cue, by the way, is on the X-Files CD (Truth and the Light).

cant say I care enough about it to make my only video post be about a minute long and nothing but sounds... I care not enough to make it into an elaborate video either since it's something so incidental. But I thought it might bring up at least an interesting topic on the use of clips such as these... in modern music... it was just never something I thought about doing... but I suppose from a composer like Mark Snow's stand point, all he really wants is that "sound" and rather than fully orchestrate it out and perform it himself as he'd have to, he'd rather just use that.

That's really interesting. You're definitely right.

Although this is of little use, as I can't actually remember just right now what the proper legal stance is.... there is some sort of law stating that a sample can be used if it's under a certain length. I think. Or at least that law was in place while I was doing my music studies about 3/4 years ago.