Film score ringtones

Maestro

I realize this borders on sacrilege for the music purists, and I know Aaron Copland would strangle me if he knew I wanted to do this:

But does anyone here know a good place to get film score ringtones? I mean, decent quality and good selection? I've perused the selection available directly from my phone, and there just isn't anything I want. I knew that if anyone would know a good resource, it would be people on this board.

I'm in the US and don't have an iPhone, for what it's worth.

Begin.

If your phone plays mp3s, just rip your own.

I briefly had the theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as a ringtone when my phone was new, but I quickly changed that, as it drove even myself mad. I then switched to the toy piano opening from Coin-operated Boy by The Dresden Dolls. Though I do have the Lost end credits set as the ringtone for work-related calls nowadays.

Recently, a work colleague has been sporting a Super Mario ringtone. :)

I have a cable to connect my phone to the computer, but I misplaced the (unlabeled) CD with the required drivers. The phone won't see the computer and vice versa when hooked up.

But my phone can record soundbytes, which I can then make into ringtones and alarm tones. I've been thinking about using the alarm clocks from Pink Floyd's "Time" as an alarm clock, but fear I'll come to resent that song every morning at 5:30.

I recorded my own ringtone of the force theme on the track "The Throne Room", and was actually surprised at how good it turned out. I just held it up to the speakers and pressed record on the phone. Gotta make sure the speakers aren't too loud, but the quality seems to be not too far off of what it usually is for music ringtones.

I just find a short and snappy clip from somewhere that isn't too loud.

I'm currently using Balin's Tomb from FotR: CR, from where the rushing ascending strings come in.

And as a true geek, I have the CTU ringtone on my SMS.

And as a true geek, I have the CTU ringtone on my SMS.

I used to have that, and was very confused when I heard it on the subway once and took out my phone only to see that it wasn't my phone that was ringing. ;) But then, the same thing has since happened to me with the Dresden Dolls sound.

• 8 years later...

I'm not sure if I should bump this thread or start a new one.

I've just got a new mobile phone (my old one was 10 years old, this one is 5 years old :D ), and spend my time knowing it.

I was curious, what film music ringtones do you use, if any?

I was thinking something along the lines of electronic music. I find it more fitting.

In my old phone I had The Incredits from The Incredibles and i think it was good, but now I thought to change after so many years..

Maybe something from Tangerine Dream (Thief, etc.).

Do you have other suggestions?

also, i'm not sure if my phone plays flac.

I have a Samsung GT-S5360/

5 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I used Harry Potter for mine and it's a hit at the office.

yes, i prefer orchestral music too, but i don't know. I think it doesn't fit for a ringtone..

I just remembered this too. Maybe I'll use it in the end:

Also main title from Commando is good. :)

Now I'm torn.

I thought of jazz by Grusin too.

- Shop till you Bop (Fabulous Baker Boys)

- The Plan (The Firm) (this is solo piano... Maybe it's not dynamic enough to hear it)

or jazz John Williams!;)

I, too, created my own ringtones.  My favorite was for my father.  When he called, James Earl Jones' voice would boom out of my phone "I am your father" from Empire crossfaded from the movie to just the score (to remove Luke's response).

I use different tones for different people.  My mother loves Westerns, so she gets a little Silverado.  People I volunteer with on the local Little League board gets Field of Dreams.  My basic ring tone changes with the seasons: baseball season gets The Natural, the holidays have Home Alone, and most of the rest of the year has a quote of the Rohan theme.

Have fun with them.  Just remember to silence your phone when appropriate (you know, like a funeral).

I just use the default apple ringtone. 

I had a monophonic version of the Imperial March when I was a kid though!

• 2 years later...

I don't use film scores as ringtones anymore because when I have, I get the usual looks from bystanders that instantly alerts them that I'm some nerd or geek.

I used to have a track as my alarm every morning, but I began to associate the music with the alarm and began to hate it. Listening to it again I get flashbacks to Vietnam and wince at being awoken from a good sleep.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't use film scores as ringtones anymore because when I have, I get the usual looks from bystanders that instantly alerts them that I'm some nerd or geek.

I used to have a track as my alarm every morning, but I began to associate the music with the alarm and began to hate it. Listening to it again I get flashbacks to Vietnam and wince at being awoken from a good sleep.

I use the Pre-Crime commercial music from Minority Report as my ringtone and people are probably none the wiser since it sounds like a legit ringtone tune.:P