El Cid

Wojo

I realize that a few months ago, somebody made a "golden age of film scores" thread. This deserves its own thread.

I didn't expect to get the 3-disc Tadlow re-recording of Miklos Rosza's EL CID until after September 1, but I was pleasantly surprised to come home last night and find it waiting for me on the table. It had actually been sent from the UK on August 22, but I came home too late to actually fire up my computer and record it, since my CD stereo has a nasty habit of scratching CDs, and food and sleep trump everything else.

The packaging is superb, as the shipping envelope kept it protected. Cardboard slipcase over an old-style plastic double jewel case that holds 3 CDs and liner notes. The artwork is spiffy, the liner notes are in vivid color and include detailed notes about each track. Glad they didn't skimp on the packaging like other recent soundtracks have done.

I am so looking forward to hearing this. To receive it the day before my birthday will make going home tonight and enjoying this self-purchased birthday present a very happy day indeed. Depending on how much I enjoy this, I may opt to buy the Tadlow recordings of The Guns of Navarone and the Sherlock Holmes movie.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the CD yesterday too (I just came back from my summer vacation) and listened to it all the afternoon and evening. Guys, prepare yourself for a real treat. This is a towering achievement, a wonderful reading of one of the all-time best epic film scores. Nic Raine and the City of Prague Philharmonic really outdid themselves. There's an impressive energy throughout all the performance, the recording is amazing, crisp and detailed (make sure you listen to it through a real stereo system at a high volume!) and the packaging is very well-done, especially the copious liner notes.

This is a must-have for any serious film music lover.

As I hoped and expected, m'Lord. I simply couldn't get enough of the smattering of El Cid tracks I had acquired in my Napster days, yet did not want to spend $70 on a CD to maybe get another four small tracks. This recording will allow me to delete those tracks, and also make a much better "older" scores MP3 disc for my car (El Cid, Ben-Hur, The Blue Max, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ten Commandments, and maybe Gone with the Wind if there's room).

I unexpectedly... "received" this a few days ago. It's brilliant. Sound and orchestral performance are very good, performance is very authentic as well - more so, actually, than the Moscow performances for the (still first-rate) Morgan/Stromberg collaborations.

I know many here don't like the City of Prague orchestra, but they're getting better by the year and their releases always feature a stunning sound quality.

Indeed. This is my third Tadlow title, and of the first two, Guns of Navarone (one of my favorite albums of one of my favorite scores) has a few weaker spots (The main title suffers a bit, but is made up for by the stunning prologue, which they did brilliantly). The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, however, is fantastic from begining to end. Either way the projects themselves and the efforts to make the releases as classy as possible are admirable, but it's quite heartening to find Prague rising up to the challenge and pulling these off stunningly (there's little of the stigmas that often surround rerecordings).

I ordered this just a few minutes ago. BTW, for those who haven't yet, at least internationally, ordering directly from Tadlow's website (payment via Paypal) seems to be the most cost effective way. £20.95, with free shipping to anywhere in the world (I think that the free shipping expires Sep. 1st, though). From what I've seen, that is approximately $10 cheaper than the other places I checked out. For those who've yet to check this out, go here and listen to some of those samples. If that Prelude doesn't do it for you, I don't know what possibly could.

Got it. It's orgiastically good and should melt the heart of the most misanthropic fellow without any ounce of romanticism in his genes. The musical splendor and gusto Rózsa offers here makes this now my officially most-beloved UBER-EPIC score of all time.

One thing that surprised me when I read the liner notes last night is that they make no mention of another Rosza's other historical uber-epic scores, Ben-Hur, even when discussing all of Rosza's film scores. And I absolutely love the score to Ben-Hur. Is that because of licensing issues perhaps, or because everyone knows it and they're trying to promote the lesser known like Ivanhoe?

Tadlow also posted a

with selections from it. I cannot wait for this. As one who never fully got into Ben Hur, I'm glad that I'm able to fully partake in the revelries of at least one of Rozsa's epic scores. I'm also excited about the Double Indemnity suite.

BTW DW, does the Scorsese note make reference to the specific recording, or to the score in general (I know he's a huge fan of the film)?

El Cid was waiting for me when I arrived home today.

Tadlow has done an outstanding job with this spectacular recording. This is what a great film score sounds like.

I can't get enough of this score. I might have sat through one complete sitting of it today, but each time I listen to it, I start it over to hear the beginning again. It's superb.

Received my copy today. I had previously only been familiar with the Overture and Prelude and I'm happy to say that so far this score is exceeding my expectations! I love it. Definitely the best release this year, if not this half of the decade!

Best f'in score of the year is all I can say. Sad it got virtually no attention. The Overture IMO is the best opening to a film (including main titles). Yes...even better than Star Wars and The Motion Picture. And the love theme...bar none the most sensual...and romantic theme ever.

Though that might have something to do with the fact that this is generally one of my top three or-so scores of all time...every recording of it.

Maybe we should set up a collection fund, so all the rich, generous people can contribute money to people who want to buy expensive soundtrack compilations but can't afford them. That'd be swell.

I think this should be a campaign issue for Crichton, Savas, and '4. Promise us all something grand and glorious so we elect you, then once you win, you can dash all our dreams to pieces.

I'm listening to "Entry of the Nobles..."

and thinking....MAN! I'd forgotten what real thematic development sounds like!

It's like...WOW...I didn't know themes could still be themes if they weren't the same in every appearance. :)

According to Tadlow, they are down to roughly 200 copies of El Cid.

They are planning to press more copies but they may not come with the slip case nor have the third disc with future copies. This info can be found here:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cf...1&archive=0

I know James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow has said he wants to do it. Of course I believe he said the same thing about El Cid after releasing Rozsa's Sherlock Holmes score. ;)

But I do believe it's mentioned on the FSM board that Lawrence and Exodus are next in line.