El Cid

Wojo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered it last weekend, yet haven't receive it yet. Also there was no any email from Tadlow officially to confirm that my order had shipped. My question is, would Tadlow send a notification letter when they ship your order?

I ordered it last weekend, yet haven't receive it yet. Also there was no any email from Tadlow officially to confirm that my order had shipped. My question is, would Tadlow send a notification letter when they ship your order?

No, it won't happen. I ordered it last week as well. I wrote an email to Tadlow with the same question and Fitzpatrick replied that my package was sent the next day after I placed the order. What I'm worried about however is the content. Whether I get 3 CD's or just two. There has been talk about it (the third disc) being limited, as far as I remember. It's not essential to have limited edition, but it still would have been nice. There is an alternate Entry of the Nobles track, that I really like. I've got it already on some Telarc compilation, which sounded even better, but still.

I've heard this recording .It's great.

I heard it already many weeks ago. And I agree. It is better listen than most scores from the era adn I recommend it to all fans of loud and big film music.

Karol

I read a little online article about this release, and they said that Tadlow anticipated that this would be produced at a loss, that they wouldn't make a profit. Wha?

If that is so, then, man o man, we are a dying breed.

No, it won't happen. I ordered it last week as well. I wrote an email to Tadlow with the same question and Fitzpatrick replied that my package was sent the next day after I placed the order. What I'm worried about however is the content. Whether I get 3 CD's or just two. There has been talk about it (the third disc) being limited, as far as I remember. It's not essential to have limited edition, but it still would have been nice. There is an alternate Entry of the Nobles track, that I really like. I've got it already on some Telarc compilation, which sounded even better, but still.

So since I ordered it last week, am I ordering the 3CD set or just a two CD version?

Moreover, how could an international shipping takes five weeks? I live in Hong Kong and shipping from the US take usually only one week.

The UK, I believe. I suppose international shipping can take that long. If doesn't show up very soon, though, I'll ask about it.

Maybe the student desk worker at your dorm is a closeted fan of Golden Age film music, realized what was in the package, and Hornered it from you. :o

The UK, I believe. I suppose international shipping can take that long. If doesn't show up very soon, though, I'll ask about it.

I suggest you do that now. It shouldn't take that long.

So since I ordered it last week, am I ordering the 3CD set or just a two CD version?

Moreover, how could an international shipping takes five weeks? I live in Hong Kong and shipping from the US take usually only one week.

I should get mine on monday. As for the 3CD version, there were only 2000 units pressed, I think. And then they made 1000 more for the demand was greater than expected. And it's considered to be limited edition. But maybe the situation with Superman box set will repeat after all. Speaking of which... Is it still available?

Karol

I might reconsider buying it then. The only thing that bothers me is the price and that the only score really worth it is Superman III. The rest is more or less a re-recording of the original.

Karol

Superman IV has turned to be the biggest suprise of the box set and the improved sound on Superman makes it worthwhile.

I would also say that Superman II sounds much better and some of the changes/adjustments Ken Thorne did with Williams' music are interesting.

Maybe the student desk worker at your dorm is a closeted fan of Golden Age film music, realized what was in the package, and Hornered it from you. :o

ROTFLMAO I bet.

ok,so El Cid is amazing. Probably the best Golden Age score I ever heard and I can see why some would say it might be the best score of all times.

Ben Hur is pretty great and also King of Kings and maybe Quo Vadis

But the rest of Rosza scores...they seem to be nowhere near that greatness ,at least not the ones I've listened to. More typical cheezy Golden Age sounding.

Was Rosza the David Arnold of his time?

ok,so El Cid is amazing. Probably the best Golden Age score I ever heard and I can see why some would say it might be the best score of all times.

Ben Hur is pretty great and also King of Kings and maybe Quo Vadis

But the rest of Rosza scores...they seem to be nowhere near that greatness ,at least not the ones I've listened to. More typical cheezy Golden Age sounding.

Was Rosza the David Arnold of his time?

Dear God, Mark, doesn't it even hurt in your brain when you babble nonsense like this?

Rózsa had a very distinctive style (like DAVID ARNOLD??)and sometimes adapted this style to fit the glossy MGM stuff he worked on, but even there scores like 'Quo Vadis', 'Knights of the Round Table', 'Plymouth Adventure', 'Julius Caesar' or 'Diane', even 'Moonfleet', have great and accessible scores.

And that was only 1950 till 1959, then there's 'Thief of Bagdad', 'Sodom and Gomorrah', 'Private Life of Sherlock Holmes', 'Eye of the Needle' and several film noir scores of notice.

I mean if you get slap-happy by listening to one of those anachronistic faux-Prokoviev scherzo's Williams was churning out in his 80s-phase, how can you say things like this? :P

I mean if you get slap-happy by listening to one of those anachronistic faux-Prokoviev scherzo's Williams was churning out in his 80s-phase, how can you say things like this? :P

Watch out,these are regarded as absolute masterpieces around here so don't call them faux whatevers . Oh wait,you did say you wanted to edit out Indy's theme in every cue it pops up.

I'm saying Rosza's other score don't seem to achieve the height of El Cid. Just like Arnold can't match his Stargate or Independence Day.

Watch out,these are regarded as absolute masterpieces around here so don't call them faux whatevers . Oh wait,you did say you wanted to edit out Indy's theme in every cue it pops up.

I'm saying Rosza's other score don't seem to achieve the height of El Cid. Just like Arnold can't match his Stargate or Independence Day.

Well, just as 'Deep Impact' is regarded as great film music on the Horner boards. And it IS faux Prokoviev, because it directly references his scherzos, simple as that.

And you heard it right; i'm totally more interested in everything Indiana Jones which is not the blaring Indy fanfare....i have heard that often enough by now.

And again: to compare an artist like Rózsa with David Arnold is just heresy. Neither 'Stargate' nor 'ID4' achieved any 'heights' compared even to a second-rate Rózsa like 'All The Brothers Were Valiant'.

I wasn't direcly comparing Rosza and Arnold.

And obviously you don't get that it's the Raiders March VARIATIONS that are amazing in the Indiana Jones scores and why EVERYONE ELSE HERE worships Williams of that era. To my knowledge Williams never quoted the End Credits version on the underscore. Anyways it seems odd to post such statements on a John Williams board and people who hate his music usually say things like that.

Why don't you go listen to new composers like John Powell, H.G. Williams and John Ottman,they have no "annoying" themes to distract the listener.

And obviously you don't get that it's the Raiders March VARIATIONS that are amazing in the Indiana Jones scores and why EVERYONE ELSE HERE worships Williams of that era.

The only thing 'obvious' here is you being a thickie.

Why don't you go listen to new composers like John Powell, H.G. Williams and John Ottman,they have no "annoying" themes to distract the listener.

Damn right, now i'm pouting and listen to my complete bootleg of 'Agent Cody Banks'!

And obviously you don't get that it's the Raiders March VARIATIONS that are amazing in the Indiana Jones scores and why EVERYONE ELSE HERE worships Williams of that era.

The only thing 'obvious' here is you being a thickie.

If I understand correctly you don't like Flight from Peru (Raiders) ,Desert Chase (Raiders),The German Sub(Raiders) , Fast Streets of Shanghai (ToD),Over the Himalayas(ToD) and The Portuguese Coast (LC) because they blast the Raiders march . And to me that sounds pretty odd for a John Williams fan.

Back to the topic. I've received my copy yesterday ( Actually it took only 5 day to ship. However when it came to my apartment there were nobody at home. Therefore I have to take it from the post office yesterday). It's a 3 CD set with a paper "box" (Dose it means mine was the second stock of print?). The sound quality is perfect, the music is as good as my Ben Hur 2CD set but with better sound. I'll suggest that everyone of you to pick it up if you haven't do so.

Edit.

My copy had the slipcase. I think maybe even the second stock (with 3CD) had the slipcase as well. Otherwise my copy is the first stock.

I pre-ordered my set in June or July, so that I received mine on or around August 27, the date it was to be released. Seeing as how my birthday was the 28th, I was a very happy camper indeed. And I listened to a bit on the way to work today, since I got my sports update before I left the house. My EL CID was packaged in a three-disc jewel case, with a rather lengthy liner notes book occupying the spot where a hypothetical fourth disc would go. The case was enclosed in a cardboard sleeve that repeated the front artwork and featured the tracklisting on the back. I was not aware of any subsequent shipping format, but the big fear here was that future editions would omit the third CD of alternates and the Double Indemnity suite. If you got that, then all is well.