John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

I may have mentioned this before but my relative unfamiliarity with the Dragon scores means that when a cue comes on shuffle, I listen to it with rapt wonder before realizing what it is. Genuine amazement at how good it is. It happens so frequently, I'll be disappointed when I start recognizing them and can't be so satisfyingly surprised anymore.

Try PAN again, then. Not so much the second half but everything up to 'Tramp Stamp' is on the same level.

Compositionally it's on the level with the DRAGON scores.

And that, people, is why pub is one of the best members around here!

The only thing that in my opinion is missing from Pan is some counterpoint. Powell's been doing some wonderful counterpoint in Mars Needs Moms and Dragon 2 and I know it may be nitpicking but it's all it's missing to be a 10/10.

I was blown away by Boy Who Could Fly and now cycle across town to it, along with Flying Ship Fight. Those power-punch developments of the themes are helping me get into the rest of the score now. It's more evidence that film score as a genre, and composers talents, seem to shine best from fantasy films. I've only known Powell so far for Bourne (which I know inside out) and X-Men 3, which I dip into occasionally. I must try harder to delve into his Dragon scores; are there any other exemplar works of his with the same qualities as these?

I love the theme from 1:07 of the Pan Overture - been going through my head a lot recently.

But I still find most of the album either dull or a barrage of noisy action. I eventually found 27 minutes to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On 12/12/2015 at 10:45 AM, loert423 said:

A look inside John Powell's studio:

Damn, that's a fine home studio.  Very impressive set up.

On 1/4/2016 at 8:24 AM, Jay said:

Sounds good!

embed test:

This sounds excellent!  I would love to hear the whole work.  Hopefully it will be released soon.

• 4 weeks later...

The world premiere of John Powell's Prussian Requiem will take place at the Royal Festival Hall on 6th March 2016, in case anyone is interested in attending.

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/concerts/1222/london/royal_festival_hall/6_march_2016/first_world_war_commemoration_concert?utm_source=mail2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=E-newsletter%3A February 2016

Jennifer Pike playing The Lark Ascending and Sol Gabetta playing Elgar's cello concerto are not be sniffed at either.

• 4 weeks later...

John Powell has officially joined Facebook, and is posting lots of interesting stuff being quite responsive so check it out! He's posting stuff from the Requiem as well, which is great to hear

https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/timeline

It's definitely there and he's pretty active on it. The excerpts of the requiem he's been posting are absolutely fantastic. Really excited to hear the whole thing.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I can rarely stand music with a soloist overbearing the orchestra. (I hate opera)

I assume you mean vocal soloist ;)