John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

10 hours ago, Faleel said:

I assume you mean vocal soloist ;)

Correct :)

I would probably confine it 90% to opera singers - to me there seems to be little melody in what they're singing. Most soundtrack have sopranos (I believe so?) where the singer is contributing or counterpointing the rest of the orchestra. Opera doesn't do that for me.

1 hour ago, loert423 said:

Just returned from the premiere of "A Prussian Requiem".

For those out of the loop, it's a ~40 minute oratorio, divided into 10 parts, based on the true history of Moltke the Younger, a Prussian chief who in 1914, after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, convinced Kaiser Wilhelm II to carry out the Schlieffen Plan to defeat France. Moltke himself had been working on this strategic plan for many years and was (supposedly) determined to prove himself to be a national hero, just like his uncle Moltke the Elder. But the Schlieffen Plan ended up pretty much a failure and lead to, among other things, Great Britain declaring war on Germany...hence setting the First World War in full motion. Moltke was "the prick who started it all" (to quote John Powell).

Anyway, I thought "The Prussian Requiem" was brilliant. The libretto (by Michael Petry) is strong, and the way the music decorated and coloured the meaning of each and every word in some parts was very interesting to listen to. It is hard to describe the style of the music - I'd call it "free tonality". It is certainly not atonal, however Part 6 does feature a (very!) striking array of woodwind passages which sounds quite contemporary and original.

What I found refreshing was the fact that the music itself is not similar to Powell's typical output. I think there was only instance in the whole work where I "recognized" a kind of Powell-ian melodic shape in the chorus, but it was literally just a snippet, and on the whole Powell's approach to this work seemed starkingly different from the sort of 'pop' sound he uses in his film scores; it had much more of a neo-romantic edge to it.

Now, I didn't want to spoil the music very much, but I feel like I need to talk specifically about "Part 10: A Gift" (the last part). This part contains the climax of the entire work (although it's not so much a climax as it is a natural ending based on the story contained in the libretto). It is probably the most 'film-music-like' sounding part of the oratorio, and in my opinion, the most emotionally charged musical passage Powell has written yet. The reason why I say it is "film-music-like" is because it's so vivid that the imagery hits you right in the face. I would say that, if you're not particularly interested in listening to the whole oratorio, I would at least recommend you listen to this part on its own, because it really is a landmark in Powell's musical output.

So yeah, I can't wait to listen to the whole thing again on the upcoming album. And I totally recommend any John Powell, film music and/or classical music lovers to listen as well. It's a fabulous work and I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Thanks for posting this review, loert423.  I can't wait to hear it.  I thought the clips posted earlier were fantastic!  I just hope I don't forget to buy the recording so if someone would post when it is available that would be great. 

Thank you for the review loert423! Looking forward to hearing this when the CD comes out. :)

Not sure how relevant it is to this thread or if it's been discussed elsewhere, but apparently Powell's wife passed away the night of the premiere.  Just terrible.

http://slippedisc.com/2016/03/the-composers-wife-died-30-minutes-after-world-premiere/

EDIT:  It appears this link no longer works, but KK shared Powell's personal facebook post about it below.

Wow, that's horrible! Strange that Powell's Facebook page post just posted another "guess which score this is" sample...but I guess that's someone else managing it and didn't quite get the news.

12 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Not sure how relevant it is to this thread or if it's been discussed elsewhere, but apparently Powell's wife passed away the night of the premiere.  Just terrible.

http://slippedisc.com/2016/03/the-composers-wife-died-30-minutes-after-world-premiere/

..... Damn.  That is heartbreaking.

That's absolutely awful news. RIP. :( 

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Strange that Powell's Facebook page post just posted another "guess which score this is" sample...but I guess that's someone else managing it and didn't quite get the news.

I think Powell sets these up earlier and uses the "set date and time of your post" function so that they get posted every Tuesday at 5pm GMT.

Jeez, I just stumbled on this thread again to find out about the concert work, which I was not previously aware of, and was about to post an "ata boy", only find out this shattering news.  Awful.

I guess this explains his semi reitremeny of late, then.

And why Stoik's Ship is so good

Such terrible news! My heartfelt sympathies to Mr. Powell and his son. :(

Touching indeed, especially for one who knows the bond he means.

In celebration of what their union manifested, I further explore Powell's work...

Does anybody know what proportion of the various Bourne scores are synthesised and instrumental? I heard from Classic FM that the first score was all sequenced synths.

On 16.03.2016 at 9:58 PM, Miz said:

Touching indeed, especially for one who knows the bond he means.

In celebration of what their union manifested, I further explore Powell's work...

Does anybody know what proportion of the various Bourne scores are synthesised and instrumental? I heard from Classic FM that the first score was all sequenced synths.

It was supposed to be all electronic but towards the end of scoring process they could afford a string sections. Each subsequent score would became increasingly acoustic.

Karol

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, amh1219 said:

if true!

What do you mean "if true"?  It clearly says so right in the trailer!

13041219_10102646302715125_2993029108042

Oh, I'm just being paranoid. Sorry, for the confusion.

Obviously Powell has the gig for now. Greengrass returning and Powell sharing a co-composer credit with a relative unknown both give me pause and we've seen composers listed on posters and trailers before, only to have them replaced after the fact... I'm just nervous it'll be a Music by David Buckley, Themes by John Powell situation in the end.