John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The cool kids these days don't play Minecraft anymore, just Fortnite and PUBG. 

Apparently Fortnite is dying already, and Minecraft is making a comeback.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A Prussian Requiem isn't just your average requiem though. It transcends the boundaries of traditional operatic and orchestral styles while being coherent and relevant to today's listener by "shaking up" what we've come to expect from the typical grave, remorseful missa pro defunctis via a few modern touches and Powell's delightful style. Essentially, Powell hits every possible emotion in one grand and utterly beautiful in memoriam.

It's fine. 

Okay, so I've been listening to "Scheherazade" recently after a friend recommended it. Several parts sound very similar to some piece(s) by John Powell, but I can't quite remember which one(s). E.g.:

Maybe this is what I'm thinking of, but I feel like there's got to be something closer:

@Loert, any ideas? (Or maybe I am the only one who hears similarity from Powell to Rimsky-Korsakov) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yet by that time he had already scored Endurance, which is an impeccable score and for me has one of the top 5 pieces of his career.

• 1 month later...

Since so many of you on this forum have suggested he score Indy 5, can anyone recommend one score of his that I should listen to that could change my opinion on him.

I really don't want anyone doing it besides, JW.

I also don't want anyone other than Williams on Indy 5 (if that movie ever comes to happen), but Powell is a great composer on its own.

He was already good before (Hancock, the first HTTYD, Rio, Bolt, X-Men: The Last Stand, Paycheck, the Ice Ages, Antz, Chicken Run), but since 2014 he got way better, with marvelous scores such as HTTYD 2 and 3, Solo and this year's Call of the Wild. 

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

How To Train Your Dragon 3

Is that a good one to start with?

I'd suggest the first instead.

'Call of the Wild' technically IS Powell scoring a Harrison Ford adventure and doing pretty well at it.

But would it be enough to change anyone's opinion?

Just listen to various Powell bits until ya find something that catches your ear. My first exposure to his world was Chicken Run, and I recall it blossoming to full-blown fascination/obsession when I heard Horton for the first time. I can’t help but find going back to other composers nowadays to be inherently less interesting due to most of them lacking that narrative purpose, where it feels rewarding to notice subtler thematic expressions intertwined in the underscore. Or how even his minor supporting themes tend to be more interesting than a lot of composers’ main themes. 

So many others will just have a main theme and will just play it over and over during ‘big’ moments for no other reason than, well, it’s the main theme. Powell’s thematic statements tend to have a bit more substance, being just as much for storytelling sake as music’s sake. 

I don’t know, there’s just something about Powell scores that makes me want to listen to them over and over while others I listen to once, get the gist, and move on.

If Williams did Indy V, it'd end up like KotCS, a fine, serviceable score, but nothing to croon over. 

Now, if Powell were to get the gig, I'd also prefer he worked solo (no pun intended) and got to write all of the themes.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

If Williams did Indy V, it'd end up like KotCS, a fine, serviceable score, but nothing to croon over. 

I would really wish for something better.

Indy IV was... not awesome.

Not Powell, but a member of his team, Batu Sener, recently released this eight minute choral piece and it's quite nice. Wasn't sure where to post this so do pardon me. 

Anyone has an idea of what he will be working on next? It seems like he doesn't have anything announced yet… :(

I just recently found his music and I love it! I'm sad there isn't anything new coming soon haha

Yeah, unfortunately he doesn't have any upcoming projects as of today... :( 

And with the entertainment undustry closed due to covid-19 pandemic, there probably aren't many producers looking for composers right now, specially expensive A-listers like Powell.

Let's just hope this situation ends soon.

9 hours ago, Omen II said:

Eric Whitacre will be talking to John Powell live on Eric’s YouTube channel at 11 a.m. today (PDT).  It should be fun!

How did you know about this? There doesn't seem to be a live announcement on his channel?

Oh! 
John seems to have been assigned a new project! haha

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4779206/

Edit: oh no nevermind, it seems the credit disappeared… weird. :eh:

Edit #2: "This is the sixth Blue Sky Studios film not to have its music composed by John Powell, after Ice Age (2002), Epic (2013), The Peanuts Movie (2015), Ice Age: Collision Course(2016), and Spies in Disguise (2019). In this case, John Wozniak will be the composer for this movie."

So it seems a mistake was done on IMDb for a short amount of time and then they corrected it. 

• 1 month later...