John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

On 6/24/2020 at 10:27 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

These are zoom chats. Surely Williams can do an hour long Zoom chat. When was the last time he did this long of an interview?

I was really hoping that Dudamel chat might come close to something like this, but it had barely a few minutes of Williams talking among all those music selections.

4 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

what are some examples of powell's best work that you consider better than williams? (Not asking in a combative way at all)

How To Train Your Dragon 3 and Solo are on par with, if not the best-ever Williams' scores, then the peak 'Williams sound'.

And the first HTTYD is great on its own, but the scores just get better and better, and they're surely the best trilogy of scores since the original Star Wars trilogy (and maybe Lord of the Rings, depending on your taste).

5 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

what are some examples of powell's best work that you consider better than williams? (Not asking in a combative way at all)

The Bourne Ultimatum, Horton Hears A Who!, and How To Train Your Dragon are probably my top three Powell scores. 

He is stylistically very different than Williams. What makes him stand out, for me, is his use of percussion and instrumentation. 

7 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

They are both good enough yet different enough that it's pretty much impossible to answer this question. But I e.g. prefer HTTYD to TROS, just to give one example...

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He inherited that from HanZ, though.

Well, that's certainly part of it, but he's developed it into his own thing...

JW has inherited from a lot of people too, you know... :whistle:

• 2 months later...

Randomly glanced at John Powell's Instagram page only to find a possible hint at a release for next year. Here's the isolated quote:

I’ve been working with installation artist (Michael Petry) and composer (Gavin Greenaway) since we were at college in 1984. Over those many years, Gavin and I have made music for Michael’s many wonderful and crazy art installation pieces. We even wrote an opera together in 1995 - more on that next year 🙂

Any thoughts/comments, Powell fans? Not sure if this ought to have it's own thread as it is still speculation, but that's quite a hint if you ask me. Colour me intrigued!

He's mentioned it several times in interviews as what he's been working on during the pandemic. From what I recall, they're taking the 1995 version and updating it.

Personally I'm more intriguted about the film suites and themes album he's refered to a few times over the last 2-3 years...though I sense it may be on hold. :(

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Arpy said:

The other Dragons films? X-Men 3? 

X-Men 3 is Varese

Just now, Spider-Fal said:

Who says it's a score? ;)

Good point

Before I watched this, any time I saw this thread title I went "yeah, John Powell's music kicks ass!". Now I go "HELL yeah, John Powell kicks ass!"

--SPECIAL ONLINE EVENT--

Thursday October 22 at 5pm GMT, esteemed composer John Powell will be the guest of the UK-based Cinemagic Film Festival for the "Maestro Sessions" special online event.

John will be in-conversation with radio presenter/concert producer Tim Burden and there will be opportunities for participants to ask questions and gain an insight to the world of composing. The Legacy of John Williams editor/podcast host Maurizio Caschetto will join as a co-host.

The event will be live-streamed via Zoom. You can book a ticket to attend by sending an e-mail at workshops@cinemagic.org.uk. Ticket price: £10. Participants needs to be 18+ years-old to attend. More info at the link here:

https://cinemagic.org.uk/event/the-cinemagic-maestro-sessions-with-john-powell

https://www.facebook.com/thelegacyofjohnwilliams/photos/a.970701543117277/1544573192396773/

Would I be correct in assuming the fee is only for attending live and asking the questions, but it will be available to rewatch for free like all these other interviews?

• 1 month later...

We know imdb is not your most realiable sources, but..

John Powell has been listed as the composer for Doug Liman’s next movie, Lockdown.

Wait,..

Interestingly, imdb also lists Batu Sener and John Michael Caldwell for Lockdown. They are both Powell’s inhouse team.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13061914/fullcredits?ref_=m_tt_cl_scc

So this may be true,

but this is interesting choice.

Maybe Powell loosening up, or...

Powell is in desperate need of fresh cash ( as Powell has admitted himself when asked about choice of movies he’ll score)

Nonetheless, if this is true, we can expect Powell return to action-comedy ala Mr Mrs Smith.

Fingercrossed!

Don't think anyone mentioned this, but JP did a masterclass for a few Brighton & Hove Music & Arts students online last Friday. It was pretty interesting and they will be posting highlights on their YouTube channel at some point https://www.youtube.com/user/BHMusicandArts. He mentioned a few times that he's working on a score which he suggested was quite a challenging assignment and the director was being very particular about what he wanted. Sounds very interesting, but he didn't give any hints as to what the film was.

Given that he's writing the music now, I assume it'll be out in a month or two... there seems to be very little info about Lockdown although the IMDb suggests it's in post-production, so that could be it?! Is Doug Liman notoriously difficult to please?! JP even said he questioned whether he was right for the film, which given he's worked with Liman before, was quite an admission. Sure we'll find out soon.

36 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Given that he's writing the music now, I assume it'll be out in a month or two... there seems to be very little info about Lockdown although the IMDb suggests it's in post-production, so that could be it?! Is Doug Liman notoriously difficult to please?! JP even said he questioned whether he was right for the film, which given he's worked with Liman before, was quite an admission. Sure we'll find out soon.

So this is our confirmation then?

Nonetheless, when JP feels challenged, then pretty sure we'll get another hit in the bag? ( does he ever miss though :) )

Really can't wait!

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

So this is our confirmation then?

Nonetheless, when JP feels challenged, then pretty sure we'll get another hit in the bag? ( does he ever miss though :) )

Really can't wait!

Could be?! As I say, I don't know the status of Lockdown... weird that the IMDb doesn't have much info for a film by a relatively well known film maker that is apparently in post-production with a strong cast. However, seems like a strong possibility. As I say, if he's writing the music now, it can't be more than a few weeks from release so we should find out more soon!

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps Disney's making Solo 2?

Haha... I can't say the thought would super excite me as a film, but for the score prospects... HTTYD4?! Haha. OK... it won't be that. I think Lockdown seems the most likely. Based on the description of the film, I'm guessing the music might be quite different to his recent output.

One other thing I should mention was that in the masterclass he hinted that there might be more concert music next year, but obviously hard to know if it's just a throwaway comment rather, we can but hope, the Prussian Requiem is stupendous (I was lucky enough to be at the premiere!).

On 12/14/2020 at 3:50 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

As I say, I don't know the status of Lockdown... weird that the IMDb doesn't have much info for a film by a relatively well known film maker that is apparently in post-production with a strong cast. 

The film was acquired by HBO Max and is expected to have an early 2021 release.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/doug-liman-lockdown-hbo-max-deal-anne-hathaway-ben-stiller-agc-studios-pandemic-heist-film-1234635989/

Anyways, I'm looking forward to any new Powell, whatever it might be, although this seems like a strong possibility!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...