John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

Third Date?  That's not the name of a HTTYD1 cue.  Is it from one of the sequels?

I started listening to this but didn’t finish. I’ll take this as a sign that I need to go back to it;)

Man that “Third Date” cue just brought back those ole’ film score chills that I hadn’t had in a long time. I friggin’ LOVE that cue. The key changes and the tempo shifts and the overall infectious theme and rhythm. I will always be interested in film scoring for as long as Powell is around.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Third Date?  That's not the name of a HTTYD1 cue.  Is it from one of the sequels?

It’s from the Third HTTYD film (The Hidden World) Did you not listen to that one Jay? It’s fantastic.

7 hours ago, WampaRat said:

It’s from the Third HTTYD film (The Hidden World) Did you not listen to that one Jay? It’s fantastic.

I've listened to all three OST albums and love them but didn't remember any track titles from the sequel scores.  Kinda hoping for expansions this year before digging back into them

The first score I know very well and would recognize any OST or Expansion names

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Oh, sorry! 

Maybe here? From 2:11 till the end

So powerful and poignant! 

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this should have its own thread, but it appears form jkms insta that Batu Sener, Powell’s assistant, is scoring Ice Age: Adventures of Buck Wild.

Batu Sener is like the luckiest person on earth :sigh:

Being the assistant of John Powell for so many years bowdown

On 6/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, Anthony said:

Third Date is possibly the best cue from the Dragon films.

It's up there to be sure. It's the only reason I haven't completely forgotten about 3. (3 just feels like such an abandonment of where it looked like they were going after 2. It's not as weighty and world building as 2 and not as wonderful as 1.)

I'm a huge fan of 2. I understand all the reasons 1 is the better and probably the more original score and film. It's a Star Wars / Empire situation. Flying with Mother? Stoick's Ship? Toothless Found and Two New Alpha's? Yowza. But none of that could have happened without Forbidden Friendship and Test Drive. I also adore See You Tomorrow.

But Third Date just takes you by the hand and then doesn't let go even after you start shouting "Too much! TOO MUCH!"

On 7/30/2021 at 6:53 PM, Remco said:

Maybe this should have its own thread, but it appears form jkms insta that Batu Sener, Powell’s assistant, is scoring Ice Age: Adventures of Buck Wild.

His score for that How To Train Your Dragon holiday special was great. 

It will be interesting to hear whether he sounds like John Powell. Then again, the filmmakers may have asked for exactly that in this scenario. Will Buck's theme from Dawn Of The Dinosaurs return I wonder?

On 8/1/2021 at 5:31 AM, Anthony said:

I think that was Anthony Willis rather than Batu.

I thought I was introduced to Batu Sener via Homecoming but now I look online and it is saying it was all Anthony Willis. That's really weird. 

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

Powell’s assistant scoring a show based on movies scored by Powell seems like the best possible choice!

A show!? Isn't it a movie?

I don't know when the movie is supposed to come out exactly, but isn't it strange that they're already recording the music if it comes out in 2022? :conf:

EDIT: Oh, I just thought, maybe they can do it earlier in the process with animated movies, as the composer can compose the music with the basic, not finished animation.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

EDIT: Oh, I just thought, maybe they can do it earlier in the process with animated movies, as the composer can compose the music with the basic, not finished animation.

Yeah, it is pretty common in animation to have the music recorded early in the process.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

My bad, I was confused.

I read in the IMDb trivia that at first it was supposed to be a show! But then they changed it for a movie. So you weren't that wrong haha!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess now is as good a time as any to show that there actually does exist a proper FYC CD for Hidden World! I bought this in a lot with the help of a few friends, and I've been content in owning this along with some others (including a specific one I could post about elsewhere):

yEad0xP.jpg

0zAUfRl.jpg

uuHZpG2.jpg

11 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I guess now is as good a time as any to show that there actually does exist a proper FYC CD for Hidden World! I bought this in a lot with the help of a few friends, and I've been content in owning this along with some others (including a specific one I could post about elsewhere):

yEad0xP.jpg

0zAUfRl.jpg

uuHZpG2.jpg

Unfortunately, there still are cues missing, which I hope will be included in a future Deluxe version of The Hidden World...

Especially this one:

I'm aware, but there's still some neat little tidbits here, and I more am happy to have it on the basis that the CD itself is currently so obscure that it's even a miracle that we found it to begin with. Gives it a bit more value, especially with the price we ultimately paid it for.

Can’t wait for his “opera-tainment” sounds right up my alley! Man I love this guys work. 

On 8/20/2021 at 7:08 AM, Edmilson said:

JP's acceptance speech for the IFMCA Award and an interview with Jon Broxton and Craig Lysy:

Pop-quiz, Dragons fans and leitmotif pedants!

Are there more themes in the HTTYD trilogy than there in the original Star Wars trilogy?