John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

(They're recasting Rocky AND Ginger?)

Well, Mel Gibson was Rocky on the first CR, but he's too controversial now, specially in a kids movie.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, Mel Gibson was Rocky on the first CR, but he's too controversial now, specially in a kids movie.

I know, he's not like Alec Baldwin. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I got a free CD called "Wings of a Film", which is Hans Zimmer music was recorded live at a film music concert in Ghent in 2000.

Wings of a Film: The Music of Hans Zimmer Live (CD) - Walmart.com -  Walmart.com

A lot of Zimmer regulars are listed as performers, like Zimmer himself, Lisa Gerrard, Lebo M, Heitor Pereira, Gavin Greenaway, Rupert Gregson Williams, Bruce Fowler, etc.

One credit that caught my eye was John Powell, credited as playing "third percussion from the left"

Does anyone know anything about this?  Did he used to play percussion before becoming a composer?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does anyone know anything about this?  Did he used to play percussion before becoming a composer?

I think I've heard him in interviews saying he played the viola as a child. And I know he loves percussion, and percussion rhythms from around the world inspires him a lot, but that's all I can remember.

On 03/04/2022 at 6:28 AM, LSH said:

Harry Gregson-Williams is attached to the upcoming Chicken Run sequel I think, no?

It would be so great if John Powell joined forces. Revisit one of his best collaborations. 22 years later, it should be courtesy if anything.

Someone should ask Powell on Instagram or Facebook.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Someone should ask Powell on Instagram or Facebook.

That would be great. Powell is usually very open to questions from his fans on social media.

• 1 month later...

Wow, very exciting!

I wonder if that means a Varese Club Batch is in store for us next week?

The reason I speculate that is because Varese released 25 of JP's OST albums and they've already Deluxe'd two of them

2001 - Evolution, I Am Sam, Just Visiting, Shrek

2002 - Bourne Identity, Two Weeks Notice

2003 - Gigli, The Italian Job, Paycheck

2004 - Bourne Supremacy

2005 - Robots

2006 - Ice Age 2, United 93, X-Men The Last Stand

2007 - PS I Love You

2008 - Hancock, Horton Hears a Who!, Stop-Loss

2009 - Ice Age 3

2010 - Green Zone, HTTYD, Knight and Day

2011 - Kung Fu Panda 2

2012 - The Lorax, Ice Age 4

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

2006 - United 93, X-Men The Last Stand

2007 - PS I Love You

2008 - Hancock, Horton Hears a Who!, Stop-Loss

2009 - Ice Age 3

2010 - Green Zone, HTTYD, Knight and Day

2011 - Kung Fu Panda 2

2012 - The Lorax, Ice Age 4

How much of them can't be expanded because of prohibitive fees. I know the Ice Age have been recorded with The Hollywood Symphony but don't know about the others

Just adding that Ice Age: The Meltdown was also a Varèse title so that's up to 25!

5 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

How much of them can't be expanded because of prohibitive fees. 

Any of them after Robots that was scored with AFM musicians

HTTYD was recorded in London which is why that one was affordable

5 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Just adding that Ice Age: The Meltdown was also a Varèse title so that's up to 25!

Added!

I would really love to get Shrek or Chicken Run even though I suspect the later to be released next year by the time the sequel hits Netflix

If I remember correctly don't John Powell usually uses a CD image when the deluxe is released on CD and not only digitally? This would probably disqualify the Varèse titles

I dunno.  He specifically said "Deluxe Edition" which is very known Varese branding.  Of course Disney used it for Solo and Rogue One as well, but I dunno if JP would have titles for other labels start using it as well

Varese seem to be releasing batches every other month so it is about time.

Isn't The Bourne Identity 20 years old this year?

Karol

Yea

The frequency of Club releases since Townson left and Cary and Bryon took over is:

2020-Jan - Dolores Claiborne & The Stand

2020-March - US Marshals & The Big Fix

2020-June - The Running Man & Seaquest DSV

2020-August - Wild Wild West

2020-October - HTTYD1 & Village of the Damned

2021-Jan - Looney Tunes Back In Action & Babe

2021-March - Along Came A Spider & The Serpent And The Rainbow

2021-April - Lionheart & Knowing

2021-June - Paycheck & The Matrix

2021-August - Dantes Peak & Love Field

2021-November - Elf & Blue Velvet

2022-March - HTTYD2 & Iron Giant

When Powell previously asked fans what Deluxe Edition they wanted next, I said "Paycheck" and that's what we got.

And the most recent time he asked I said "The Bourne Identity" or "The Bourne Supremacy", so let's hope he was listening again. :D

Edit: It's not one of my favourites, but come to think of it, X-Men would also be a solid choice. Provided it has the film versions of the titles and St. Lupus Day!

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno.  He specifically said "Deluxe Edition" which is very known Varese branding.  Of course Disney used it for Solo and Rogue One as well

They only used it for Solo. Rogue One was labeled “Expanded Edition.” I assume “deluxe edition” is just Powell’s preferred labeling.

Anyway, very much hoping for Bourne, Italian Job or Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but I expect it’ll be something like Face/Off.

Factoring in "other means" of obtaining music that's already been out there for years, The Bourne Identity would be the best outcome. It's never been fully available.

But in terms of which scores deserve expanded releases due to their high-quality or limited OSTs, it's Supremacy and X-Men.

Earlier on today, JP was asking on Instagram what other of his scores would we like to see (re)released. I replied The Bourne series, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Pluto Nash, X-Men, Hancock, Bolt, and a Locked Down EP.

(So not much :P)

Hoping I can tick one of those off the list this week.

Did anyone else respond?

23 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Earlier on today, JP was asking on Instagram what other of his scores would we like to see (re)released. I replied The Bourne series, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Pluto Nash, X-Men, Hancock, Bolt, and a Locked Down EP.

(So not much :P)

Hoping I can tick one of those off the list this week.

Did anyone else respond?

I did as well.

Bourne, Chicken Run & X-Men

I was listening to The Last Stand's OST on the other day and, being familiar with the bootleg, there's some pretty good material that are not on the official album. An expansion would be great.

Some people do not prioritize their wishes for scores the specialty labels should tackle based on the number of minutes that weren't on the OST, but just on how much they like the score

Plus, every score in existence could heave untold amounts of music that nobody knows about because it wasn't used in the final version of the film

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

I really don't get why Chicken Run keeps coming on wishlists for expansions - what substantial material is missing? :eh:

A cue for the chickens sneaking around to get together for planning their next excape attempt

The Chickens hiding from Mr Tweedy

Film version of Ginger's Dream

Rocky coming to (Our Way Out)

The Big Truck Arrival

Fowler warning Ginger about Rocky

Babs worried about the 2nd Roll Call

Gingers rant about the feed

the jazzy source cue on the radio for Rocky and Gingers scene

The film insert for the Rocky on the tricycle for the finale.

There are also a bunch of demos in the bonus features and some alternates that have leaked via sheets/cue lists

47 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

There are also a bunch of demos in the bonus features and some alternates that have leaked via sheets/cue lists

Do these sheets clarify whether it was JP or HGW who did each cue? I know this is a controversial topic, but it'd be nice to know who wrote what.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I was listening to The Last Stand's OST on the other day and, being familiar with the bootleg, there's some pretty good material that are not on the official album. An expansion would be great.

One of the reasons I really want a expansion of X-Men or the first 2 Ice Age scores, is mostly because I really don't like how the albums are put together. The short tracks that are pasted together as one long track. I'm glad Powell stopped doing that after the 3rd Ice Age.

The longer tracks are a lot better listening experience

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The short tracks that are pasted together as one long track. I'm glad Powell stopped doing that after the 3rd Ice Age.

The longer tracks are a lot better listening experience

Do you know the reason why he did this? It's pretty interesting and actually made me glad he did. I won't repeat myself if you already know the story!

You're talking about the longer sequences cut into short cues, right? It's to exploit a reuse fee rule/loophole where choir fees are paid for the duration of the track they're in, i.e. if a 6 minute track contains 10 seconds of choir they still have to pay for 6 mins of choir.

The stupidity and senselessness of AFM rules has no bounds, although I think Powell implies in the video at the link below that they've figured it out now so he doesn't have to do that.

It was discused briefly earlier this year: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34381-batu-sener’s-the-ice-age-adventures-of-buck-wild/&do=findComment&comment=1859917

1 hour ago, DemonStar said:

It would also be cool to have a complete Road to El Dorado. That is an awesome animated score with a pretty short OST release.

Quite agree. It’s a great score! The songs by Elty are pretty good too.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

You're talking about the longer sequences cut into short cues, right? It's to exploit a reuse fee rule/loophole where choir fees are paid for the duration of the track they're in, i.e. if a 6 minute track contains 10 seconds of choir they still have to pay for 6 mins of choir.

The stupidity and senselessness of AFM rules has no bounds, although I think Powell implies in the video at the link below that they've figured it out now so he doesn't have to do that.

It was discused briefly earlier this year: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34381-batu-sener’s-the-ice-age-adventures-of-buck-wild/&do=findComment&comment=1859917

This stuff is so depressing as it gives unions (who should be a positive thing) a bad name doing things that are counterproductive for almost everyone.

I actually went through X-Men 3 with the intention of combining the longer cues with no breaks between them into single cues by re-ripping them into iTunes but realised I couldn’t find the CD (much to my annoyance). I’ve looked at doing some others like that but think I decided against it as you end up with some quite uneven track lengths!

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Quite agree. It’s a great score! The songs by Elty are pretty good too.

This stuff is so depressing as it gives unions (who should be a positive thing) a bad name doing things that are counterproductive for almost everyone.

I actually went through X-Men 3 with the intention of combining the longer cues with no breaks between them into single cues by re-ripping them into iTunes but realised I couldn’t find the CD (much to my annoyance). I’ve looked at doing some others like that but think I decided against it as you end up with some quite uneven track lengths!

Having separate cues is so much better than combined cross faded long tracks!

12 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Having separate cues is so much better than combined cross faded long tracks!

Yeah, but thats not what these are, they are just longer cues cut up into gapless short tracks.

10 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Yeah, but thats not what these are, they are just longer cues cut up into gapless short tracks.

Oh I see, yeah that isn't great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2022 at 6:39 PM, Loert said:

I don't know anything about that in particular, but here's a video of him playing percussion with Hans:

Wow, thanks for posting this video!  It's a very curious one!  

This is clearly some kind of rehearsal done that someone filmed from the (small) audience.  Exactly what instrument is Powell playing?  And what happens to it that someone has to come over and stand behind it?  Is the guitar part Zimmer is playing audible in the mix?

The violin part is really cool here!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Is the guitar part Zimmer is playing audible in the mix?

Yes, you can hear that early in the video.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

And what happens to it that someone has to come over and stand behind it? 

He's plugging out Zimmer's guitar cord and making sure nobody plugs it back in.