• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Interesting development here, in regards to John Powell's next projets,

According to IMDb, he's been tapped to score:

Popeye, 2022, with Harry Gregson Williams

and

The Spider and The Fly, 2024, a PIXAR movie

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0694173/filmotype/composer?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Again and again, IMDb is not the most trustworthy source.

But then, we got early information from it that Powell would score Locked Down, and it turned out to be true,

so...consider this a 50/50

If this is true though, then it would be momentous!

(Reteam again with HGW after 22 years! and finally scoring a PIXAR movie!)

Those would be great if true. Having listened to Encanto yesterday, there are a few slightly JP-esque moments albeit the thematic material isn’t as strong so giving him a full Pixar movie would be amazing. Fingers crossed…

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Those would be great if true. Having listened to Encanto yesterday, there are a few slightly JP-esque moments albeit the thematic material isn’t as strong so giving him a full Pixar movie would be amazing. Fingers crossed…

Haha yes, especially this particular moment onwards:

^^With the drum loop ala powell on the background and the trumpet, purely Powell!

and this moment:

Germaine has long credited Powell to be her mentor and the one that truly helped her into the composer that she is now

----

Anyway again, in regards to the "rumor",

the Popeye one seem highly unlikely.

Powell said so in the most recent interview, when asked about who his favourite collaborator is, and talked particularly about HGW, he said that hiring two composers for a movie is unattainable, especiall in this age (or something along that lines, I forgot).

But who knows?

But the one with PIXAR, it's highly posiible and long overdue!

8 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Interesting development here, in regards to John Powell's next projets,

According to IMDb, he's been tapped to score:

Popeye, 2022, with Harry Gregson Williams

and

The Spider and The Fly, 2024, a PIXAR movie

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0694173/filmotype/composer?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Again and again, IMDb is not the most trustworthy source.

But then, we got early information from it that Powell would score Locked Down, and it turned out to be true,

so...consider this a 50/50

If this is true though, then it would be momentous!

(Reteam again with HGW after 22 years! and finally scoring a PIXAR movie!)

I don't see any of those on IMDb? I only see Don't Worry Darling...

Well, that's super strange.

When I posted it, it was there.

Now, it lists only Popeye

I wonder whether there is Powell's staff here in this forum lurking and silently read 😄

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'd be more excited if Popeye was getting a Powell only score

I'd be more excited if all movies in the world were getting a Powell only score

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

How I long for a return to the 2001-2008 period where we'd get 5 Powell scores a year. :(

Second this!

2008, oh man, we got,

Jumper >> the main theme is really oftenly played in a "gossip news" program here in my country

Horton Hears A Who >> "We are here theme" is among the most memorable theme Powell has ever created, in my opinion

Kung Fu Panda >> paved the way for Lorne Balfe animation sound that we know today

Stop-Loss >> "The Greatest Tragedy" is one of the best Powell's tragic cue

Hancock >> "Death & transfiguartion" continued to "the moon and the superhero" , classic!

Bolt >> With this kind of beautiful score, it's astonishing Disney/Lasseter didn't want to collaborate with him again

6 scores and they all have really beauutiful themes.

But nowadays, we only got a super standard package of:

No Way Home, The Batman, Jurassic World Dominion, Lightyear, and Thor Love and Thunder 😞

• 3 weeks later...

John Powell just shared this post in Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfcNb0EvebZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

^^ that officially  means he starts working on a new score.

He is still attached to 2024 Pixar movie on his imdb page.

or perhaps this is something new? Disney’s Strange World maybe 😄

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Cryptic update from JP on his Instagram that he’s working on a new score!

C18CF029-B363-44FA-ABF5-95D498E0A9B4.jpeg

If this is Strange World (new WDA movie, which will come out Nov 23) or Elemental (new Pixar, will come out June 16 2023), I'll be extremely happy!

It can't be DreamWorks, because their next movie (Puss in Boots 2) already has a composer.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If this is Strange World (new WDA movie, which will come out Nov 23) or Elemental (new Pixar, will come out June 16 2023), I'll be extremely happy!

It can't be DreamWorks, because their next movie (Puss in Boots 2) already has a composer.

IMDb says Elemental has Heitor Pereira as composer. So that’s not it. 

Still hoping for Strange World!

29 minutes ago, Luka said:

IMDb says Elemental has Heitor Pereira as composer. So that’s not it. 

Still hoping for Strange World!

That's sad, it'd be the perfect project for him.

But to be honest, I think both of these movies are long shots. Powell never worked with Pixar before and, IIRC, he did just two movies for Disney, Bolt in 2008 and Mars Needs Moms in 2011. 

Pereira's involvement hasn't been announced anywhere else so I highly doubt that.

Pereira is not really a 'Pixar' composer.

And the director of the film previously worked with the Danna brothers

On 12/04/2022 at 3:25 PM, Jay said:

Years ago I got a free CD called "Wings of a Film", which is Hans Zimmer music was recorded live at a film music concert in Ghent in 2000.

Wings of a Film: The Music of Hans Zimmer Live (CD) - Walmart.com -  Walmart.com

A lot of Zimmer regulars are listed as performers, like Zimmer himself, Lisa Gerrard, Lebo M, Heitor Pereira, Gavin Greenaway, Rupert Gregson Williams, Bruce Fowler, etc.

One credit that caught my eye was John Powell, credited as playing "third percussion from the left"

Does anyone know anything about this?  Did he used to play percussion before becoming a composer?

Zimmer brought his whole gang to Ghent for that concert (the first one with his music performed live) at the time. (By the way, a brief fragment from that concert can be seen in this short documentary at 1:31.)

If I remember correctly, Powell also played some percussion when he was guest of honour at the 2006 World Soundtrack Awards (see the same video at 9:23 for a very brief two-second excerpt from that concert).

Very recently at the Krakow Film Music Festival he performed alongside the orchestra on a few of the pieces, including with a Spanish percussion instrument on Ferdinand and the viola on The Bourne Identity. (I believe he played the viola when he was younger?)

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 8:00 AM, Anthony said:

From the 5 Cat Studios website. Not exatly groundbreaking news, but at least it's confirmed!

5 Cat Studios' Next Original Release
An Englishman, An Irishman and A Frenchman
by John Powell & Gavin Greenaway

September 2022
Don’t Worry Darling  
by John Powell

Coming Soon
New Motion Picture Soundtrack
by John Powell

Powell announced that the Don't Worry Darling soundtrack is out in 30 days time. I wonder if the opera is still due out before then?

• 3 months later...

I wonder what Powell's 2023 score is.

He's scored a diverse selection of films since deciding to only score 1 film per year in 2015

2015 - Pan

2016 - Jason Bourne

2017 - Ferdinand

2018 - Solo

2019 - HTTYD3

2020 - Call of the Wild

2021 - Locked Down

2022 - Don't Worry Darling

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder what Powell's 2023 score is.

He's scored a diverse selection of films since deciding to only score 1 film per year in 2015

2015 - Pan

2016 - Jason Bourne

2017 - Ferdinand

2018 - Solo

2019 - HTTYD3

2020 - Call of the Wild

2021 - Locked Down

2022 - Don't Worry Darling

I really hope it'll be something animated or fantastic/sci-fi. Those are my favourite scores of his!

I guess we could look at who directed each film and see if they'd want to reunite with Powell again

2015 - Pan - Joe Wright who used Dario Marianelli (Darkest Hour), Danny Elfman (The Woman In The Window), and Aaron & Bryce Dessner (Cyrano) next

2016 - Jason Bourne - Paul Greengrass who used Sune Martin (22 July) and James Newton Howard (News of the World) next

2017 - Ferdinand - Carlos Saldanha, whose next film (2023's Harold and the Purple Crayon) has no composer attached yet

2018 - Solo - Ron Howard, who used Hans Zimmer (Hillbilly Elegy) and Benjamin Wallfisch (Thirteen Lives) next

2019 - HTTYD3 - Dean DeBlois, who was attached to two films (Micronauts and Treasure Island) that seem to have fizzled out

2020 - Call of the Wild - Chris Sanders, who doesn't seem to have anything coming soon

2021 - Locked Down - Doug Liman, who has a remake of Road House coming... seems like someone else will score that one

2022 - Don't Worry Darling - attached to three different films with no dates

Sounds like Harold and the Purple Crayon is most likely to me!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

HTTYD3 - Dean DeBlois, who was attached to two films (Micronauts and Treasure Island) that seem to have fizzled out

I didn't even know this was a thing, and now I don't want anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

The movie is a documentary about Michael J. Fox:

The movie is directed by Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth, Waiting for Superman) and tells the story of a short kid from a Canadian army base who became the darling of 1980s Hollywood, only to find the course of his life altered by a stunning diagnosis. Guggenheim is also producing the project with Jonathan King, Annetta Mario and Will Cohen. Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie will premiere next month at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival.

Apparently Powell has indeed moved on from animated scores for kids movies.

3 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I don't think it's a documentary, tho.

Think you're right.  They even have an actor playing Steven Spielberg according to IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19853258/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

EDIT:

I dunno actually.  The DP is credited specifically for "scripted photography" on IMDB.  It's probably a documentary with dramatic recreation segments?

51 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The movie is a documentary about Michael J. Fox:

Apparently Powell has indeed moved on from animated scores for kids movies.

Please don't say that!!! :crymore:

I'm still hoping he'll come back to it someday.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

I'm still hoping he'll come back to it someday.

I hope that too, but I dunno, it's getting hard to believe. He just seem more open to other projects besides animation these days - or is it Hollywood who gave up on him?

Strange World seemed the ideal project for him. Since it was done by HJ, unsurprisingly no one is talking about the score.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Strange World seemed the ideal project for him. Since it was done by HJ, unsurprisingly no one is talking about the score.

I only sampled a couple of tracks from the Jackman score (too much stuff to listen to these days) but I thought it sounded pretty cool.

I like Jackman in his Silvestri mode.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I hope that too, but I dunno, it's getting hard to believe. He just seem more open to other projects besides animation these days - or is it Hollywood who gave up on him?

Strange Worlds is a nice score! The movie is doing really badly at the box office though.

• 1 month later...

I know this does not actually mean anything, but both IMDB and this wiki page say HGW is scoring Chicken Run 2 solo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8337264/fullcredits/

https://aardman.fandom.com/wiki/Chicken_Run:_Dawn_of_the_Nugget

FWIW, HGW's GSA page doesn't list it

https://gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gregson-Williams_Harry-20.pdf

• 3 weeks later...