John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

7 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Batu Sener is scoring Harold And The Purple Crayon

Batu indeed posted on his instagram a couple days back saying his next score is Harold And The Purple Crayon. It was also added on IMDb, but for some reason, a couple hours later, he deleted the post and it isn't mentioned on IMDb anymore either… 

6 minutes ago, Luka said:

Batu indeed posted on his instagram a couple days back saying his next score is Harold And The Purple Crayon. It was also added on IMDb, but for some reason, a couple hours later, he deleted the post and it isn't mentioned on IMDb anymore either… 

HAHA!

That’s my ..duh moment 🤣

So it’s official then!

(must be NDA thing he deleted the post)

Another new score to look forward to.

21 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

If it is for “late 2023” release, then there are some probabilities, one being for the new Disney musical “Wish” (Nov 2023) or perhaps for new Illumination Studio animated movie “Migration” (Dec 2023)

It'd be funny if the animated film was Kung Fu Panda 4 after Zimmer did the first two sequels.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It'd be funny if the animated film was Kung Fu Panda 4 after Zimmer did the first two sequels.

Powell also worked on 2.....

Powell doing KFP4 is only likely if a few key things change that I'm not allowed to publicly state. I sure would love for him to be involved with the Chicken Run sequel, but that looks to remain a HGW "solo" gig. Certainly am curious either way.

I'm not a fan of the KFP scores either. They have some decent moments, but in general I think it's a case of "too many cooks", whereas other Powell scores have more of his voice.

But if he's doing KFP4 on his own, I'll be very pleased. I simply crave more animated Powell goodness.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'm not a fan of the KFP scores either. They have a lot of good moments, but in general I think it's a case of "too many cooks", whereas other Powell scores have more of his voice.

Fixed

I recently listened to the KFP1 bootleg after someone pointed out the recent HZ.com cuelist update got specific enough to where you can tell who did what cue by the version number (Powell adds a random letter to designate his stuff, while Zimmer sticks to number decimals). The weak link was sort of predictably the stuff by the latter, as the high energy and detail of the JP stuff easily dissipates with how much more piecemeal the HZ cues can be. I don't want to say this felt like it was merely a gig to one party, because Hans evidently likes the franchise enough to do the sequels and play Oogway Ascends in concerts, but the whole end result is uneven from how evidently different the methodology of each composer is. It certainly would've succeeded more if it was one or the other that did it instead of both doing it somewhat separately.

I don't even want to get into KFP2, as I've heard rumors that suggest the score was sort of dead on arrival with behind the scenes conflicts that occurred. Haven't bothered with KFP3 yet, both because I kind of usually prefer expanded presentations for MV/RCP works, but also because I wasn't too interested in a heavily Balfe version of already mixed bag material. I suppose an announcement for who's doing 4 could certainly get me more interested in giving the sequels a further go.

10 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I recently listened to the KFP1 bootleg after someone pointed out the recent HZ.com cuelist update got specific enough to where you can tell who did what cue by the version number (Powell adds a random letter to designate his stuff, while Zimmer sticks to number decimals). The weak link was sort of predictably the stuff by the latter, as the high energy and detail of the JP stuff easily dissipates with how much more piecemeal the HZ cues can be. I don't want to say this felt like it was merely a gig to one party, because Hans evidently likes the franchise enough to do the sequels and play Oogway Ascends in concerts, but the whole end result is uneven from how evidently different the methodology of each composer is. It certainly would've succeeded more if it was one or the other that did it instead of both doing it somewhat separately.

Any comment that praises Powell and subtly bashes Zimmer makes me happy. :devil:

11 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

but the whole end result is uneven from how evidently different the methodology of each composer is. It certainly would've succeeded more if it was one or the other that did it instead of both doing it somewhat separately.

Exactly, you described how I feel about these scores. Their music don't quite mesh together, and the final result is very uneven.

Which is why the prospect of Powell doing KFP4 would be intriguing, but it is incredibly unlikely per what I mentioned above. If anything, it feels like an easy LB gig, in spite of him not having done a DW movie in quite a while. Maybe Mazarro?

12 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

If anything, it feels like an easy LB gig, in spite of him not having done a DW movie in quite a while. Maybe Mazarro?

No. I want Powell (and Sener) to do every animation movie ever from now on. That'll be all, Thank you.

KFP2 is the best of the three scores and it feels the most balanced to my ears. My favorite cue is this little beauty -which I believe is by Lorne Balfe:

However, if you listen to this... (watch your ears!)

You'd think this is a Zimmer cue... but you'd be wrong. It's Powell. 

So it's a little harder to tell on this one who did who, at least by ear, compared to the first score which is a lot easier in that regard.

It's weird, now the music editor imdb page I talked before just deleted the Harold credit:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077007/

Just hours ago, it's still there! 😄

Let's make it official then,...

Batu, or Powell's intern (or agent), is stalking this thread 😄

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

So it's a little harder to tell on this one who did who, at least by ear, compared to the first score which is a lot easier in that regard.

This is one of the reasons I find these Panda scores hard to appreciate. You got Balfe sounding like Powell, Powell sounding like Zimmer, and in the end it all sounds like a big mishmash - or "too many cooks", like I said above. Had this been one composer (plus his team, lol) sounding like his usual self, I think it'd be a little easier for me. 

I actually just listened to KP2 a few days ago. I don't listen to the score much but this is one of the few series where 2 is miles better than 1 (thank you Oldman and Yeoh).

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not questioning or doubting Sener's skills and capabilities here but I find it strange that Powell isn't scoring this one himself: He scored every other Saldanha-directed movie since 2005.

50 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

Not questioning or doubting Sener's skills and capabilities here but I find it strange that Powell isn't scoring this one himself: He scored every other Saldanha-directed movie since 2005.

Maybe because he doesn’t want to do more than one movie a year anymore. 

I have a feeling that the 'only one film a year' statement of his is slowly wearing off. He has at least 2 scores this year I believe. And already stuff planned for next year. Plus the opera.

That statement is really from just after his wife passed. So he might be inclined to do more after a few years. But I also feel that Powell might have been asked and put Sener forward to give him a high profile project

25 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I have a feeling that the 'only one film a year' statement of his is slowly wearing off. He has at least 2 scores this year I believe. And already stuff planned for next year. Plus the opera.

That statement is really from just after his wife passed. So he might be inclined to do more after a few years. But I also feel that Powell might have been asked and put Sener forward to give him a high profile project

I’m sure Powell was asked but recommended Sener.

On 31/1/2023 at 6:14 PM, HunterTech said:

I don't even want to get into KFP2, as I've heard rumors that suggest the score was sort of dead on arrival with behind the scenes conflicts that occurred. Haven't bothered with KFP3 yet, both because I kind of usually prefer expanded presentations for MV/RCP works, but also because I wasn't too interested in a heavily Balfe version of already mixed bag material. I suppose an announcement for who's doing 4 could certainly get me more interested in giving the sequels a further go.

Balfe’s material for 3 is honestly some of my favorite work by him, I definitely recommend it.

On 1/2/2023 at 2:03 AM, Edmilson said:

This is one of the reasons I find these Panda scores hard to appreciate. You got Balfe sounding like Powell, Powell sounding like Zimmer, and in the end it all sounds like a big mishmash - or "too many cooks", like I said above. Had this been one composer (plus his team, lol) sounding like his usual self, I think it'd be a little easier for me. 

See, that’s part of what I like about these scores!

I’m excited to hear what the Sener score for Harold and the purple crayon will be like. 
His Ice Age score had to be close to Powell’s style for the series, with some Powell themes and knowing Powell supervised the whole thing. 
Now HATPC will be Sener’s first score that doesn’t necessarily need to fit with Powell’s style as much.

Live action How to Train Your Dragon coming in 2025. Now I’m not 100% sold on this film needing to exist but it’ll be fascinating to see how JP reworks his classic score to the original… 

(definitely not April 1st)

1FD1EC97-A53D-4007-A84F-A4F8B143F8D8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Anyway....

When I am on my quarterly rotation of Wes Anderson movies (consider myself in his fan club),

I stumbled across Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou (not his best work, but that's another story), and in one particular scene, there is a classical piece playing on the background.

And then I realized,

Powell "stole" a lot of motifs (and theme) from FERDINAND from that classical piece; here is the piece:

(I don't know if someone else already found this resemblance, so if it's double post, then apology)

Let's get to specifics,

compared this moment:

with this:

This moment:

with this:

In fact, a lot of moments from Flower Festival track above, are like heavily temp tracked to that classical piece.

Not only that, some moments in the middle scetion of that classical piece are similar, 

like this moment:

to this moment in this track here (down to the transition to the guitar) :

"Sneaky" Powell once again 😄

Literally making use of expression "If you want to steal, steal it from the best" 

I feel like some of those are just classic spanish music cliché. 

But also, there's good chances that this concerto was indeed used as temp score.

And I don't think Powell is got too close to the temp.

But thanks for this discovery, it's always fun to hear similarities. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sounds like a really interesting documentary and should be a great score. At 39 minutes I'm guessing we'll get the whole thing too!

On 29/4/2023 at 4:25 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Was reading an article on the Michael J. Fox docu in Empire Magazine the director said the following small thing about the score. Makes me really excited!

20230429_112332.jpg

After reading this post, my expectation grew high...

.... but then,...

...after seeing the documentary, I was left disappointed, mainly because what that article mentioned was misleading (atleast to me).

The final result was minimalistic score (in JWFan standard), and if not for the Powell name attached, it could be like any documentary score ( the same issue facing James Newton Howard's Light & Magic documentary)

Here is the snippett of the music I recorded (as we now still have to wait for the score release)

here is, I guess the main theme (which reminds me of Call of The Wild):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UCjKPped5auz60-aic7NxSqpZ1ZEnG8i/view?usp=sharing

and one cue sounds like Endurance:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P5snt-BJZyfqTjjkPzjUPNTt6CMmWgnN/view?usp=sharing

But mostly that's it, that's the overall gist of the score. Another minimalistic score from Powell.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite online classical store, Presto, have samples from Still as well as selling it digitally for a very reasonable price (including hi-res as well as standard lossless FLAC).

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9496051--still-a-michael-j-fox-movie-soundtrack-from-the-apple-original-film

1. Pinky (1:58)
2. That’s Boring (1:43)
3. Growing Up (1:37)
4. First Casting (1:05)
5. Hollywood Struggle (2:33)
6. A Chip & A Chair (1:22)
7. The Audition (2:38)
8. Becoming Michael J. Fox (2:29)
9. Tracy (2:54)
10. Being a Father (1:00)
11. Parkinson’s Yeah! (2:47)
12. Feel It, Live It (1:25)
13. Late Night TV (1:20)
14. Drink and Disassociate (1:47)
15. Is This What You Want? (2:41)
16. Home to TV (1:35)
17. No Way Out (3:02)
18. Why Me? (1:17)
19. Life at the Beach (5:28)

image.png

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

My favourite online classical store, Presto, have samples from Still as well as selling it digitally for a very reasonable price (including hi-res as well as standard lossless FLAC).

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35408-john-powell-still-a-michael-j-fox-movie-2023