John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

He said it is nearly done writing, but not recording. Hum... That means the movie is still a few months away.

I really don't know what might be. Elio and KFP4 are options, but those are for the next year and he said it'll come out this year. So maybe it's something for a streamer.

I hope it's Elio though. The little we know about the movie is enough to say that it'd be an ideal project for Powell.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

He said it is nearly done writing, but not recording. Hum... That means the movie is still a few months away.

I really don't know what might be. Elio and KFP4 are options, but those are for the next year and he said it'll come out this year. So maybe it's something for a streamer.

I hope it's Elio though. The little we know about the movie is enough to say that it'd be an ideal project for Powell.

Blimey I’d never heard of Elio but the description really does sound like a great Powell project but yeah if it’s out in March 2024 then it seems unlikely alas. It would also be pretty early to be writing the score for a film that far out (unless it’s been finished earlier than expected?!). Either way, animated Powell is always winning. 

Wikipedia has a handy list of animated films coming out this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_feature_films_of_2023

Chicken Run 2 or Migration seem most likely to me

Supposedly Giacchino is scoring High in the Clouds

You're probably right, it is more likely that it'll be either Migration or Chicken Run 2 (why it can't be both? :(). 

Since HGW is supposedly doing CR2 all by himself, then that leaves Migration as the most likely movie. Powell hasn't worked with Illumination before, but outside of their Heitor Pereira-scored Minions movies, they're usually pretty open to new composers, like Desplat on The Secret Lives of Pets and Tyler on Mario.

Still, if Pixar wants to hire Powell for Elio, there's still time to do it!

Also Migration is produced by Chris Meledandri, who produced Robots, Ice Age 2, Horton Hears a Who, and The Lorax...

1 hour ago, LSH said:

The Lorax?

Oh right, I forgot about that one. So Powell does have worked for Illumination before.

If it actually is Migration, then we'll be getting a new Powell animated score for Christmas 🎅🌲

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Elio and KFP4 are options.

Here is what I think.

KFP4 will very likely go to Balfe. I can't imagine him turning down a franchise he's been a part of for so long.

Otherwise there is Pereira (the current industry favorite), or HGW, Mothersbaugh or Beck who worked with director Mike Mitchell on Shrek 4, LEGO Movie 2 and Trolls respectively.

Elio's director, Adrian Molina, previously worked on films that were scored by Randy Newman, The Danna Bros., Ludwig Göransson, Dan Romer or Michael Giacchino. He was the co-director of Coco (Giacchino), and more recently he was an "Associate" producer on Turning Red (Göransson). While the odds seem more in Giacchino's favor (given their closer working relationship on Coco) apparently an Inside Out sequel will land in the same year as Ellio too. It is possible that Giacchino will be called upon to score that one, as is often the case with Pixar sequels, so Göransson seems like a good candidate for Ellio.

It is curious why an animation scoring veteran like Powell's yet to score a film for Pixar - though I get the feeling that Pixar films don't quite let their composers go wild with their music, which might be a deterrent for Powell.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Can we please have John Powell do the new Superman? If everything we know so far about the project is true then I cannot think of a modern composer better suited for the job. His joie de vivre style would fit perfectly with this character. And he could easily make the old and new meet in harmonius way, like he did with his other works.

Karol

Migration does seem the most likely and given how great the Lorax is (which feels like one of underrated animated scores alongside Horton Hears a Who) that’s cool with me although yes it would be great to have him on a Pixar movie. I kept thinking what a shame it was he didn’t get Luca. Romer’s score has its moments but Powell would have knocked it out of the park.

However a Powell Superman score? Oh yes please. He’d be ideal for it. Probably never happen lol. 

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Superman will be the guy that did Guardians 3, won't it?

Probably. Gunn is usually loyal to his composers. He used Bates in all of his movies until whatever happened during The Suicide Squad, and now he's using Murphy in everything since (TSS, Peacemaker, GOTG Holiday Special and the Vol. 3).

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm posting this here as it reminds me a bit of Powell's style. Film music disguising as ballet music?

I switched that on was somhow rather reminded of Horner's Mask of Zorro score.

But that might be just because of the name Murieta.

Even though I never understood why Horner gave a hero of the Mexican people, that faught against the Spanish a spanish sounding main theme and not one rooted in Mexican folk music. But anyway.

You might be right about this.

Very dynamic music, even for a ballet. Sounds exhausting for the dancers.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I switched that on was somhow rather reminded of Horner's Mask of Zorro score.

But that might be just because of the name Murieta.

Even though I never understood why Horner gave a hero of the Mexican people, that faught against the Spanish a spanish sounding main theme and not one rooted in Mexican folk music. But anyway.

You might be right about this.

Very dynamic music, even for a ballet. Sounds exhausting for the dancers.

Perhaps it reminds me more of HGW's Sinbad score.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Even though I never understood why Horner gave a hero of the Mexican people, that faught against the Spanish a spanish sounding main theme and not one rooted in Mexican folk music.

Well, the character Don Diego de la Vega was Spanish. His father Alejandro was the wealthiest Spanish landowner in California, and Diego did all of his study (the fencing included, essentially what allowed him to become Zorro) in Spain.

So it makes perfect sense to me. He was “a traitor to his class” and all (an obvious Batman precursor), but he was still Spanish even if he was more the hero of poor Mexicans and indigenous peoples. The Mask of Zorro even dealt with Anthony Hopkins’s difficulty with accents by having the older “old world” Spanish characters speak with British accents, while the younger “new world” characters like Elena and Alejandro speak with Hispanic accents. (Of course, Antonio Banderas himself is Spanish, not Mexican… and since he was also taking on Diego’s mantle as Zorro it makes sense the Spanish-flavored thematic representation would remain.)

Yavar

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

this is like confusing the english settlers with the algonquins.

there's a mexican nation but they're nahuas. then there's mexican in the other sense.

the vaguely flamencoish stuff is ok even if it's not particularly original (i mean Antonio is from Málaga lol)

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Of course, Antonio Banderas himself is Spanish, not Mexican… and since he was also taking on Diego’s mantle as Zorro it makes sense the Spanish-flavored thematic representation would remain.

Wait. You say, because the actor of that mexican character is from Spain it makes sense that this character has a spanish flavoured theme?

In Desperado Banderas did quite well as a Mexican with mexican music.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but why the Japanese flute for a fox? ;)

Karol

don't take that flute away from the composer, he would get sad

and why's the fox in black? is it meant to be melanistic??

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Wait. You say, because the actor of that mexican character is from Spain it makes sense that this character has a spanish flavoured theme?

In Desperado Banderas did quite well as a Mexican with mexican music.

I'm pretty sure he also said the character was Spanish.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think he says the film's a documentary about Antonio Banderas.

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

I'm pretty sure he also said the character was Spanish.

No. The said, Bandera's character took the mantle of Zorro aka Don Diego, who was a Spanish gentleman. That argumantation I can follow. But Bandera's nationality plays (hopefully) no role in this argumantation at least it shouldn't. 

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I guess you ignored everything I wrote before that parenthetical (from which you removed the parentheses)? Noting that Banderas himself was Spanish was an afterthought. Whether his character considers himself Spanish or Mexican doesn't really matter IMO, because he is assuming the MANTLE of Zorro -- a character who was absolutely originally Spanish (and Horner establishes his thematic material linked to Don Diego de la Vega played by Anthony Hopkins, originally, before Banderas's character inheriting the theme along with everything else of Zorro's).

Yavar

45 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I guess you ignored everything I wrote before that parenthetical (from which you removed the parentheses)? Noting that Banderas himself was Spanish was an afterthought. Whether his character considers himself Spanish or Mexican doesn't really matter IMO, because he is assuming the MANTLE of Zorro -- a character who was absolutely originally Spanish (and Horner establishes his thematic material linked to Don Diego de la Vega played by Anthony Hopkins, originally, before Banderas's character inheriting the theme along with everything else of Zorro's).

Yavar

No, I didn't ignore everything else. As I already wrote, I could follow your argumentation of Don Diego being a Spanish gentleman and Bandera's character taking his mantle. But it sounded to me like you brought Bandera's nationality as an additional argument for your point and that made no sense to me. But you clarified that now. Thank you.

On 25/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, crocodile said:

Can we please have John Powell do the new Superman?

After X-Men 3 I was convinced he should write a Star Wars score. My wish came true with Solo. 
I’m sure he could do wonders with Superman. I just wish Williams came back to this franchise one last time. 

On 25/05/2023 at 12:17 PM, Edmilson said:

Probably. Gunn is usually loyal to his composers. He used Bates in all of his movies until whatever happened during The Suicide Squad, and now he's using Murphy in everything since (TSS, Peacemaker, GOTG Holiday Special and the Vol. 3).

nooooooo

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is there any "official" news about the second Chicken Run film and whether or not JP will be involved?

no

Yes, we knew HGW was scoring it for a while now.  My message was to indicate that there's been nothing said publicly about whether JP is involved or not

56 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is there any "official" news about the second Chicken Run film and whether or not JP will be involved?

Looks like HGW is scoring alone. I wish Powell was involved. He told me that he really enjoys working with HGW. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, we knew HGW was scoring it for a while now.  My message was to indicate that there's been nothing said publicly about whether JP is involved or not

This new publically released photo seems to indicate he’s not involved. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

While I wish JP was involved (Chicken Run feels more like a JP score than an HGW score), I'm sure HGW will turn out something tuneful and fun. Even if it's only half as good as the original, it'll still be great. Looking forward to it!

Which is funny, because apparently HGW was the one who contributed the most to that CR.