John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Considering HGW's score to Sinbad is more exciting and fun than JP's HTTYD scores

I Adore HGW’s score to SINBAD. 

34 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Which is funny, because apparently HGW was the one who contributed the most to that CR.

Do you have a source for that? Not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious! Always wondered who did what in the JP/HGW collaborations.

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Which is funny, because apparently HGW was the one who contributed the most to that CR.

I have no evidence either way, but it was definitely a very effective collaboration. I think it's the strong thematic material that works which is where it sounds more like JP than HGW (I can' think of a single score of his with especially strong main themes, good though his stuff is otherwise).

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Considering HGW's score to Sinbad is more exciting and fun than JP's HTTYD scores, I think the assignment landed in the right hands.

I mean, I like Sinbad, one of my favourite HGW, but I think you might be in a minority of one finding it better than the HTTYD scores ;-)

Just now, Tom Guernsey said:

I mean, I like Sinbad, one of my favourite HGW, but I think you might be in a minority of one finding it better than the HTTYD scores ;-)

It's not the first time good taste is in a minority. ;) 

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I have no evidence either way, but it was definitely a very effective collaboration. I think it's the strong thematic material that works which is where it sounds more like JP than HGW (I can' think of a single score of his with especially strong main themes, good though his stuff is otherwise).

Rocky's theme is definitely HGW.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's not the first time good taste is in a minority. ;) 

I'm happy with my choice...

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hellooo, Sinbad called. :wave:

Yeah, it's pretty good (not that I can remember it lol).

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Considering HGW's score to Sinbad is more exciting and fun than JP's HTTYD scores, I think the assignment landed in the right hands.

That's quite a claim! While Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is probably my favorite HGW score, unlike the How to Train Your Dragon scores it unfortunately feels much more temp-tracked at times (with JNH's The Postman in particular), so to me is a bit compromised. I *adore* the main theme (especially in the back to back cues "Heroics" and "Rescue!"), I think the villain theme is a lot of fun, and the vocal-led cue "Sirens" is quite creative, original, and memorable! But it's nothing on the level of what Powell achieved with HTTYD. Maybe the Narnia series could have been that for HGW if the franchise hadn't sadly fallen apart (I love his Prince Caspian score and think it overall showed a lot of development compared with say the more typical Media Ventures action music in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.)

Anyhow, if Powell couldn't be involved in this sequel score I'm at least glad they're retaining HGW. (I'm more upset about them failing to bring back a lot of the original cast!) He still did a fine job on the Shrek sequel scores without Powell. I'll be surprised if we have anything as brilliant as "Building the Crate" in this new score though.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

(I love his Prince Caspian score and think it overall showed a lot of development compared with say the more typical Media Ventures action music in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.)

Yavar

To the even more aggressive thumping RC style action of PC?

Just now, A Farewell to Kings said:

To the even more aggressive thumping RC style action of PC?

To me PC is much more sophisticated, and LWW's action music sounds a lot more Media Ventures "cheap". He did establish some lovely themes for Narnia in that original score though!

Yavar

Powell was given far more creative control over HTTYD, and he had three substantial films to develop his thematic material throughout. HGW had one (mediocre) film -- apparently heavily temp-tracked -- to work with and he did a GREAT job given the circumstances, but his score just doesn't have the depth and complexity of the HTTYD trilogy. I would think that's self-evident.

Yavar

30 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

unlike the How to Train Your Dragon scores it unfortunately feels much more temp-tracked at times

Unlike the obvious LotR temp tracking of Dragon Battle?

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

HGW had one (mediocre) film

Interesting that you, of all people, should imply that a mediocre film would reflect on the quality of the score.

apparently heavily temp-tracked

You don't think HTTYD was heavily temp tracked?

depth and complexity

Frentic notes doesn't mean depth and complexity.

The first Narnia score is okay, but it only gets really good once the heroic theme is introduced when the kids get to the Aslan camp. Before that it was very uneven.

Prince Caspian is much more mature and has a nice development of themes.

I wish HGW was able to complete his trilogy. Never cared for Arnold's Dawn Treader score, especially when we consider it was his last work for a major Hollywood blockbuster.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Unlike the obvious LotR temp tracking of Dragon Battle?

Yeah, I think the temp tracking in Sinbad is more blatant and distracting.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting that you, of all people, should imply that a mediocre film would reflect on the quality of the score.

That's not what I was doing. I think HGW gave the film a much, MUCH better score than it deserved and I think great scores can be written for mediocre movies. But what I'm saying is that Powell had the advantage of far superior films which he must have found inspiring.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't think HTTYD was heavily temp tracked?

The temp track bleeds through much less heavily than in Sinbad, to my ears.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Frentic notes doesn't mean depth and complexity.

I didn't say they did. For me, the HTTYD scores (even if we stop at the first one, though I think the second is my favorite) have more emotional depth whereas Sinbad is more of a very fun surface-level "popcorn movie" score. This is where the quality of the films helps.

As for complexity, yes I think the HTTYD scores have more themes and more complex and interesting development of them, overall. And having three films to deepen that development certainly was an advantage to Powell. Narnia's the closest opportunity HWG had to match that I think.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, I think the temp tracking in Sinbad is more blatant and distracting.

Examples, please.

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But what I'm saying is that Powell had the advantage of far superior films which he must have found inspiring.

Many soundtrack fans find the HTTYD films mediocre.

What on earth is your weird beef with John Powell? I see Smith co-credited on the Zimmer site linked above, but did he also ghostwrite a bunch of later Powell scores which sound very, very similar to Building the Crate?

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Many soundtrack fans find the HTTYD films mediocre.

Since when? I haven't seen or heard anyone say anything along those lines. I know not everyone loved the final film as much as the first two, but by and large they seem pretty beloved, soundtrack fans or no.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Examples, please.

I don't have the time right now to listen through both scores and give you exact timestamps. But go listen to JNH's The Postman and tell me you don't hear some *extremely* familiar passages from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

Yavar

What on earth is your weird beef with John Powell? I see Smith co-credited on the Zimmer site linked above, but did he also ghostwrite a bunch of later Powell scores which sound very, very similar to Building the Crate?

Oh, that was just a joke.

I don't have the time right now to listen through both scores and give you exact timestamps. But go listen to JNH's The Postman and tell me you don't hear some *extremely* familiar passages from Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

The similarity has never struck me, at least not as blatantly as LotR / Dragon Battle.

Yeah, I don't really hear any obvious comparisons to any LOTR cues. (Not that I wouldn't be able to one they were pointed out.)

2 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

13 - Up On The Roof (3:08) 
Harry Gregson-Williams 

This has always been my favorite track in the OST. Just gorgeous. It's cool to know that HGW was the responsible for it.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

To me PC is much more sophisticated, and LWW's action music sounds a lot more Media Ventures "cheap". He did establish some lovely themes for Narnia in that original score though!

I dunno, I feel like overall the action music in both of his Narnia scores are much less exhuberant, more RCP-like and ostinati-driven and therefore less fun than Sinbad (which is surely one of his very best scores). Not that it is bad though, but surely less enjoyable and crowpleasing.

Only a step forward in giving you a headache with its incessant percussion, gritty synth, and snap pizzicato.

Only good action stuff is anytime PC's theme plays, the early version of Rescuing Trumpkin, Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance, and the Tree/River God finale.

And the stuff lifted from the first score, but that doesn't count.

7 hours ago, Brónach said:

oh so JP and other person wrote The Chickens Are Revolting

Gavin Greenway, conductor.

I like quite a few of Gregson-Williams' scores.

I grew up with Narnia, so I have a soft spot for those. Prince Of Persia has some great moments.

The Shrek series.

Sinbad, Kingdom Of Heaven, The Martian & The Last Duel are all great

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't know. What about Sinbad or Kingdom of Heaven? If nothing else, he will be liked for those two. And I actually very much enjoy the theme he contributed to Prometheus.

Karol

It's interesting that almost all of the best and most enjoyable HGW solo scores came up in the mid 2000s: Sinbad, Kingdom of Heaven, Narnia 1 and 2. After that there was the Prometheus theme and... not much else.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

There's something about John's melodies.

and they sound like his too, unless I'm projecting and imagining things.

i remember upon hearing the theme for The Fabelmans i laughed and thought "that's such a JW melody to write".

On 6/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Since when? I haven't seen or heard anyone say anything along those lines. I know not everyone loved the final film as much as the first two, but by and large they seem pretty beloved, soundtrack fans or no.

HTTYD scores can go piss up a rope, imo

i’ve never heard HGW’s Sinbad, and I’ll say that from what I have heard, and it’s been a decent amount, I’ve never been particularly interested in a single thing from HGW solo. It’s fine, but doesn’t grab my ear.  I’ve always attributed the good parts of the JP/HGW animated scores to Powell, first of all because they all sound Powell-ish, like other stuff Powell was writing in his solo scores in the same era - and second because all of the Powell-less Shrek sequels are mediocre retreads.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

We really should change the name of this thread to “Let’s kick John Powell’s ass!” Seems pretty clear none of us like him anyway.

I'd kick Powell in the ass if that's what it take to make him go back to scoring more than just one movie per year :P

But don't worry, Powell in general and his HTTYD scores are generally well-liked here. Nevermind the haters.

8 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

We really should change the name of this thread to “Let’s kick John Powell’s ass!” Seems pretty clear none of us like him anyway.

I like him, his scores and the HTTYD films. 

the first film was shockingly well received at the time (probably because it's quite perfectly executed). idont know about the other two.

the scores are like an early morning blowjob tho