Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

Well to be fair,the film version of Jungle Chase is a bit repetitive and the part where the B Theme plays is a direct lift from Desert Chase

I like it better than the OST version ,but it still falls a bit flat and sounds disjointed

Listening to the unreleased KotCS unreleased music ,I'd say this score is falling far below Revenge of the Sith (which I really consider close to a masterpiece)

It's about 6 minutes

As I said there's no way to cut it or shorten it and make it sound good. There's no mid-cue fade out or possible closing note to shorten it

No reason to think it'll be edited down IMO.

The Jungle Chase is indeed a bit disjointed at times (although if you're hearing my rip, my edits will definitely have a part to play) - it must've been edited down from an even longer piece, or had bits switched around, but of course we can't tell at this point how it might originally have been written.

Logically it seems that Concord paid the re-use fees for all the music and all the unreleased cues would have fit on disk 5 .So why are there still unreleased cues??

So they can sell this to us, make their money, wait a few years, then surprise us all with a "complete" collection set of "complete" scores again, instead of simply a "complete" collection of

expanded, remastered, yet still incomplete

scores that we will get in November.

Because from a marketing standpoint, it's tactically sound, and in their shoes, I would have made the decision, too.

The Indiana Jones scores that we had up until now are like all the watered down, incomplete GH-style releases of the SW scores we got in the years before the 1993 Anthology set. Even though this is the Complete Soundtracks Collection, the next paragraph states the soundtracks are expanded and remastered. The word "complete" means all four movies are in the box, NOT that the set is note-for-note all the music presented on screen. To the average consumer, it's more important and attractive to have all 4 movie soundtracks in one set, than have to buy 4 different packages of incomplete soundtracks, when the word "complete" would then no longer apply. The word "complete" is a marketing gimmick, and in this case, it's not the definition we all want but it is still legitimate.

The 1993 SW Anthology box set was magnificent for its time and sold well, but it left people wanting more, leading to the 1997 SE 2-disc sets, which IMHO are still as good as it gets with regard to the SW music. Granted, the SW trilogy was scored by the LSO and isn't subject to the re-use fees that Temple and Last Crusade have. But I'm guessing that in another five to ten years, we'll see another Indiana Jones score box set that will include note-for-note all the music to all four films, including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'll buy this box set, give it all the respect and repeated listens that it's due, so when they decide to release more music in the future, I'll probably get that, too.

On the weekend I did an MS Excel spreadsheet of the first three movies and a complete cue list comparison using the complete cue lists here at JWFan, the previous official release CD's and the new Complete Score Collection. Unfortunately I could not post it here at the time because all the formatting was lost. Now that I know there is a spreadsheet function with Google....

Here it is for you all. Any errors please let me know. BTW Each score has it's own page.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ppI...jp5Bw&hl=en

No reason to think it'll be edited down IMO.

The Jungle Chase is indeed a bit disjointed at times (although if you're hearing my rip, my edits will definitely have a part to play) - it must've been edited down from an even longer piece, or had bits switched around, but of course we can't tell at this point how it might originally have been written.

hmm,your edit is great...

*opinion of cue raises*

The 1993 SW Anthology box set was magnificent for its time and sold well, but it left people wanting more, leading to the 1997 SE 2-disc sets, which IMHO are still as good as it gets with regard to the SW music. Granted, the SW trilogy was scored by the LSO and isn't subject to the re-use fees that Temple and Last Crusade have. But I'm guessing that in another five to ten years, we'll see another Indiana Jones score box set that will include note-for-note all the music to all four films, including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'll buy this box set, give it all the respect and repeated listens that it's due, so when they decide to release more music in the future, I'll probably get that, too.

But with the SW anthology there was still a ton of great unreleased music.

In the case of the Indy box set only insignificant cues were left off,hardly worth releasing 2 c.d. sets for them in the future. If they had just left off a real highlight,I would buy your reasonning

maybe Williams was involved to a degree...

But with the SW anthology there was still a ton of great unreleased music.

In the case of the Indy box set only insignificant cues were left off,hardly worth releasing 2 c.d. sets for them in the future. If they had just left off a real highlight,I would buy your reasonning

maybe Williams was involved to a degree...

But KotCS isn't being expanded again. If in 5 years a new box set was released, and the only new music was from KotCS, I'd buy it (even if it meant re-buying the Novemeber 11th versions).

And don't forget concert version of Marion's Theme and Scherzo, plus alternates and unedited cues...

I think 50$ for this box set is a steal for us. If they release more music in 5 years I'll still buy it

And, as in the case of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", the price might lower even further. It is a good time to be a John Williams novice....

I think 50$ for this box set is a steal for us. If they release more music in 5 years I'll still buy it

All things considered I agree with that (with the first part at least).

True, KM, and with regard to the 1993 and 1997 SW sets taking existing material and editing and resequencing it to be in different orders, the differences are astounding. Then when all the missing material was restored, the set became even more impressive. I'm sure that had the 1997 sets not been released when they were, you would have been there editing the Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight game and its expansion to get every last second of unreleased music out of those discs, to augment your '93 box set...

You wouldn't buy new music?

Mark O., the trashing of recent JW scores like KotCS and the Prequels (you,Joe,Neil...) is just as annoying to me as my complaining of insignificant c.d. releases is to others

You wouldn't buy new music?

Well, after this release there won't be a lot of music left. I mean if the price was right I probably would, but I think I'm going to be content with this set.

Mark O., the trashing of recent JW scores like KotCS and the Prequels (you,Joe,Neil...) is just as annoying to me as my complaining of insignificant c.d. releases is to others

Yeah but at least we've given good reasons (discussing the actual music) , you just come across as a spoiled fan who doesn't get his way.

Are you not wanting KotCS unreleased music?

In a few years maybe, to say the least it's a medicore score.

Yeah but at least we've given good reasons (discussing the actual music) , you just come across as a spoiled fan who doesn't get his way.

I gotta agree with Mark O. Joe doesn't give a legit reason for bashing the Prequel scores (especially AOTC) so he doesn't quite count but others like Mark O and Neil do.

As hard as it is to imagine ,some people want the music that fits on 1 c.d. only, played in the pre determined order only and don't want the music on disk 5 simply because it disrupts the listening experience.

I'm already daydreaming about how I'll rip these to mp3 and put the material from disc 5 into their respective scores! I did the same thing with the Star Wars Anthology, but that was back when I had to use a cassette...

HeDemandsAMotif.jpg

...in your humble opinion.

I like how they're having ToD End Credits as the last thing on Disc 5, that will be a fitting ending.

...in your humble opinion.

Yes in my opinion but others on this board share my opinion as well.

I'm already daydreaming about how I'll rip these to mp3

Oh god, MP3!

Indeed! Lossless is the only way to go!

I gotta agree with Mark O. Joe doesn't give a legit reason for bashing the Prequel scores (especially AOTC) so he doesn't quite count but others like Mark O and Neil do.

Neil and joe hate the Prequel and the KotCS scores because they hate the movies and anything associated with Lucasfilm,simple as that. Neil didn't mention once in this thread he was happy how the box set turned out after predicting the worst case scenario 2 weeks ago

I'm already daydreaming about how I'll rip these to mp3 and put the material from disc 5 into their respective scores! I did the same thing with the Star Wars Anthology, but that was back when I had to use a cassette...

Heh, I did that as well because the escape from the space slug cue was left off the Anthology even though it was on the original double LP and the very first CD issued for Empire.

Neil and joe hate the Prequel scores and the KotCS score because they hatesanything associated with Lucasfilm,simple as that. Neil didn't mention once in this thead he was happy how the box set turned out.

So? You still sound like Thor, if not worse than him.

Yes, but I believe you would be in the minority (about the opinion thing).

So are you saying that minorities should keep their mouths shut?

Hmm, hmm. :rolleyes:

Yes, but I believe you would be in the minority (about the opinion thing).

So are you saying that minorities should keep their mouths shut?

Hmm, hmm. :rolleyes:

I would, if I wasn't a part of so many. :P

Neil didn't mention once in this thread he was happy how the box set turned out after predicting the worst case scenario 2 weeks ago

I can't wait to edit these together properly. Satisfied?

Neil

Deal with it KM, the PREQUELS SUCK as films, you constantly praise those like they are special, its just as fair to bash them from the other side.

Only TPM is a very good score.

If you love AOTC well then you love $#!%.

If you think KOTCS is equal to Raiders or TOD then your an idiot like Indy 4 for equating all the Indy scores as the same in quality.

They are not equal, there is an order, and that order isn't as kind to the last two films which play up the stupidity.

I for one felt that the KOTCS score was good...definitely better than the movie. As for the SW prequels, the music was the best in ROTS. It's just nice to have new Williams every once in a while.

Deal with it KM, the PREQUELS SUCK as films, you constantly praise those like they are special, its just as fair to bash them from the other side.

If you think KOTCS is equal to Raiders or TOD then your an idiot like Indy 4 for equating all the Indy scores as the same in quality.

They are not equal, there is an order, and that order isn't as kind to the last two films which play up the stupidity.

First of all, I do not think they are equal. I think Indy 4 is the worst score and film, but it is still pretty close.

And this is why this Board has a bad reputation. There are many posters here who are quite snobby, even once you've adapted to the sarcastic way of this website.

First of all, I do not think they are equal. I think Indy 4 is the worst score and film, but it is still pretty close.

And this is why this Board has a bad reputation. There are many posters here who are quite snobby, even once you've adapted to the sarcastic way of this website.

no you just equated the first 3 as equal and thats insulting to the greatness of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This board has a bad reputation?