Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

You're getting all the music from the sequence, but not the film edit, since On the Tank was inserted in the middle of Belly of the Steel Beast. I'd rather have those tracks separated, as it seems we're getting

While I'm not fimilar with the Indiana Jones music, this cue that is being discussed right now might contain unused music on the Concord set.

Vosk, part of me wishes I were you just for the experience you're gonna have when you sit down and listen to this for the first time! :lol:

Raiders March, which apparently was recorded with that to be tacked onto the front of "Belly of the Steel Beast."

Is that a fact? Because for all we could know, it could also be meant to come where it is now. If I'm not mistaken, in the film Indy appears out of the dust and puts the rock in the tank's barrel, so that might be underscored by the march quote? Just guess work here!

You might be right. We know that "Belly of the Steel Beast" and "Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" were were combined to create the complete tank chase we hear in the film. The raiders march fanfare could be the alternate openng from the the cut of the film that started with "Pen Is Mightier Than the Sword".

Why is this track such a mystery? It's pretty obvious that the part that was not on the OST ("On the Tank" - or the stupidly titled "Pen Is Mightier than the Sword") is the first music originally meant to be heard in the scene. The Indy theme starts when he picks up the rock to shove it in the gun. The cue then ties to another cue, what we know as the second half of "Belly of the Steel Beast". Then it was decided that music needed to start earlier in the scene, so what we know as the first half of "Belly" was added, designed to tie into the original cue but with the elimination of the Indy "fanfare". That's what we hear in the film. When it came to putting the album together they simply combined the new opening with the original ending, leaving out the middle.

"On the Tank" was "inserted" into "Belly of the Steel Beast," but rather a new beginning was added to start the music earlier.

I think it was hiphats in his article who wrote that the sequence was lengthened in the film so Williams had to go and score some more of it, and that Belly of the Steel Beast was the original cue, while Pen is Mightier is the later scored one. So according to that, you might have it backwards. But I'm just relying here on info which I have no other source for.

Guest macrea

Hiphats was not always correct. He made assumptions without thinking it through, but that was also a long time ago.

The early part of the cue was the music that was added later. Probably at the same time that was done the two inserts were recorded for "On the Tank." In other words, they looked at the scene with the original score and said, "here's what we need: let's start the music earlier where the car flips onto the tank, let's lose the Raiders theme, and let's also do some inserts for where the Nazi comes up out of the tank and where the bullets go through the three soldiers."

Hiphats was not always correct. He made assumptions without thinking it through, but that was also a long time ago.

The early part of the cue was the music that was added later. Probably at the same time that was done the two inserts were recorded for "On the Tank." In other words, they looked at the scene with the original score and said, "here's what we need: let's start the music earlier where the car flips onto the tank, let's lose the Raiders theme, and let's also do some inserts for where the Nazi comes up out of the tank and where the bullets go through the three soldiers."

Interesting. Source of this info please!

This set is so sweet. Man, you younger JW fans have no idea how cool this is to wait so long to get. Man, it isn't quite as exciting as in '93 when the Star Wars Anthology came out, and then again with SW:SE sets came out, but pretty close.

It's about the same excitement level for me.

The only thing that will ever match that again now ,to a lesser degree is a

1)Harry Potter Expanded Box Set

2)SW Prequel Box Set with complete AotC and RotS ,but were have MOST of the unreleased RotS music in good quality already ,so that is why this now falls behind Harry Potter

I also don't share the obsession with the tank chase cue breakdown from Last Crusade. It's far from my most wanted cue so as long as I get most of it...

I think the tank cue is a stunning piece of music - Williams classic writing at its best. Others may not share that excitement, but I love action cues where almost everything in the orchestra is doing something and there's some sort of addictive rhythm to air conduct :P

This set is so sweet. Man, you younger JW fans have no idea how cool this is to wait so long to get. Man, it isn't quite as exciting as in '93 when the Star Wars Anthology came out, and then again with SW:SE sets came out, but pretty close.

really its more exciting as no one knew about the Anthology set in 93, they just found it out there, there was no build up, no prerelease hype.

there was a big more news of the SW SE but at that point no one knew that Lucas was destroying his films

It was pretty exciting in 93 even without Internet hype .I found out about the set through "rumors" at record shops and travelled by car to the States to find it .It was like a trophy back then.

Then for the 1997 SE's hype came through the print edition of FSM.

Well, I switched my order to Amazon Canada :46.99$cdn + Free shipping + 6$ Tax =total 53$cdn

So 10$ cheaper overall than ordering from the US . I just hope Concord distributes to all online dealers on time.

The only reason I'm going to buy this online is that the music shops in my area don't usually carry the big soundtrack box sets. When I was mad for my LOTR CR's, FYE in the mall stocked FOTR two or three weeks after it came out. The high point of buying it from there was asking a friend who worked there to buy it, and he passed the discount on to me. He quit that job soon after, so I bought TTT and ROTK from Barnes and Noble and Amazon online, respectively. My TTT box came with the lid torn, but the CDs were fine so I was content.

And in 1995 when I received my '93 SW Anthology box set for Christmas, I had seen it for sale briefly at Boscov's, so my father had to go out of town to find it. When our FYE or Boscov's carries music box sets, they're usually of mainstream rock artists.

However, Indy is much more mainstream and long-lived than LOTR, and it's less expensive, so I won't be surprised if Wal-Mart does pick it up just because it's been out of print for so long. Maybe for that fact, they'll get it and it'll sell out like hotcakes. I just don't want to really take the chance of having to wait longer than needed.

I remember when I saw the '93 SW Anthology how a friend tried to talk me out of it. I had only started getting into Star Wars a few months earlier, and was actually more interested in the $20 screensaver/soundbyte disc than in a $60 box set of what amounted to "background music," as this friend put it. But I passed on the screensaver disc, received the soundtrack, and I haven't been the same since.

I knew about the Anthology several months before it was released. USA Today had a small section on the front page of it's entertainment section about it being released.

I paid $39.95 for it.

And the tank cue is one of my "holy grails" of music from the Indiana Jones films.

Unless it's a major movie release I've given up finding soundtracks in stores with the exception of a certain Barnes & Noble in Austin. Most of the soundtrack sections in stores around here are pathetic and stores have also begun the process of shrinking their CD sections. A new Circuit City and Barnes & Noble opened here a few months ago and my CD collection at home is larger than what they have in their stores.

Happy Birthday!

(I don't have Excel, so I can't look at your list. Even if I could, I wouldn't have anything to say, since I don't know these scores well yet)

I'll call ahead and see if options 1 and 2 are valid. If I am forced to go with option 3, what are the delay times with shipping on Amazon or SAE or any of the above. I want to get it on release day, which is why I won't order online unless it showed up on 11/11. What's your guys and gals experiences with shipping inside the states? Same day? Next day? More? No matter the price, I want it same day.

Just spare a thought for those of us who have to import this one :P

Unless I see a local version on Amazon UK really soon. They only have the import and it's double the US price. A$$holes.

I'll call ahead and see if options 1 and 2 are valid. If I am forced to go with option 3, what are the delay times with shipping on Amazon or SAE or any of the above. I want to get it on release day, which is why I won't order online unless it showed up on 11/11. What's your guys and gals experiences with shipping inside the states? Same day? Next day? More? No matter the price, I want it same day.

Just spare a thought for those of us who have to import this one :P

Unless I see a local version on Amazon UK really soon. They only have the import and it's double the US price. A$$holes.

I've ordered it now from SAE - even with the postage and packing ($15) it works out way cheaper than getting it from Amazon.co.uk...should arrive sooner too, I think....

It was pretty exciting in 93 even without Internet hype .I found out about the set through "rumors" at record shops and travelled by car to the States to find it .It was like a trophy back then.

Then for the 1997 SE's hype came through the print edition of FSM.

Well, I switched my order to Amazon Canada :46.99$cdn + Free shipping + 6$ Tax =total 53$cdn

So 10$ cheaper overall than ordering from the US . I just hope Concord distributes to all online dealers on time.

I can remember being in Chattanooga in 1994, just wandering around one of the stores that are indigenous to the area, and there the Anthology was, on a shelf, and I was in awe. I was broke, and wandered around the rest of the day with my friends, wondering if I'd EVER own it. I got it about 6 months later.

I wonder if, there was no internet, when I would have found out about the Indy set...

Similar story here. I was walking through the centre of The Hague, and whilst cheking the soundtrack section of a CD shop I suddenly saw this box set on the shelf.

I grabbed it, inspected it and rushed to the counter to listen to some parts of it, to confirm some of my at that time fav unreleased cues, Hyperspace, The final Duel music from TORJ etc...etc... were on that set.

It cost a whopping 125 Dutch Guilders, which I did not have and would not have for over 3 weeks, the longest of my life.

Untill now......

That's one negative thing about the net - there are few surprises these days.

The only contemporary equivalent of the previous posts would've been if disc 5 had been kept secret. I think every person who's going to buy the set has at least one holy grail on that disc.

wait, going by the nature of some posts here, has the tracklist for disc 5 been released? if so, on which page on this thread can i find it?

your kidding right?

check the main page for one thing

True. I think there would've been an angry mob dropping by Concord's offices by then.

Patience? Reason? A JWfan knows not these things.....

Hey, 50 -60 dollars is a lot to some people these days. It's good to know what you're getting.

I'm getting this set through Amazon.Ca because it's cheaper and I live in Canada.

I wish there was a cheaper set being released without KOCS, though. I already bought that back on may 27th.

And yeah - I Freakin' LIKE IT

Just not quite enough to own TWO copies of it.

Hey, 50 -60 dollars is a lot to some people these days. It's good to know what you're getting.

I'm getting this set through Amazon.Ca because it's cheaper and I live in Canada.

I wish there was a cheaper set being released without KOCS, though. I already bought that back on may 27th.

And yeah - I Freakin' LIKE IT

Just not quite enough to own TWO copies of it.

Yes, fifty American dollars are a LOT to some people ( I would never imagine who, though). Will someone comment on the sound quality of the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Disk when they get it?

wait, going by the nature of some posts here, has the tracklist for disc 5 been released? if so, on which page on this thread can i find it?

your kidding right?

check the main page for one thing

My bad. My bookmarks take me straight to the forum

Anyway, I think I'll be ordering this set, but not yet.

Yeah, why?

I have registered at SAE, but I'm not actually ordering until I'm confident Amazon UK wont be carrying it.

Plus, I don't have a credit card and they take our money immediately if you pay by PayPayl, and I don't want to be committed to them this far in advance.

odd eh,and the cdn dollar dropped at .90$ US ,so it's in fact a great deal

but who cares when it actually arrives ,it will have leaked on the net long before that

but who cares when it actually arrives ,it will have leaked on the net long before that

Hopefully not too long before. I don't know if I can resist (its going to be hard enough waiting until I get home for Thanksgiving break).

The Aussie dollar had dropped to a 5 year low. How do you think I feel?????

The Aussie dollar had dropped to a 5 year low. How do you think I feel?????

Glad I pre-ordered it two weeks ago.

Yeah, why?

Ignore him. :P

You took an unrelated joke to a now just stupid level ( I would place the silly "emoticon" here if I liked them enough to use them). Anyways, I have a feeling that they might sell out fast.

The American dollar is at an all time low right now. If memory serves I think the Euro has more value than the American dollar right now.

1 dollar = 1.3669 euros

Actually I wouldn't get myself excited about a possible early preview of the box set.

I don't think this will get leaked. Besides it's only 5 weeks away.