Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

What is strange and a little bit bizarre is: why bothering to revert back to the original album edits just for those two tracks? It would have made more sense if they'd have presented the original Raiders LP program and then expand that with the other tracks (à là James Bond expanded CDs).

What is strange and a little bit bizarre is: why bothering to revert back to the original album edits just for those two tracks? It would have made more sense if they'd have presented the original Raiders LP program and then expand that with the other tracks (à là James Bond expanded CDs).

The only difference between this and the album is "Marion's Theme." On the original album it was jarringly combined with "To Cairo."

The only difference between this and the album is "Marion's Theme." On the original album it was jarringly combined with "To Cairo."

That's why I think this has to be a sort of test album or a work in progress... there's no way they're presenting us a long waited and beatifully assembled box-set with THIS album as a "sneak preview"...

Only hardcore aficionados will notice the inferior sound quality and missing music.

That's me!

Just remembering the facts:

-The two unreleased tracks "Washington Men" and "Indy Rides the Statue" sounds great, nowhere near as horrible as the bootleg. BUT, "Indy Rides the Statue" is actually only "The Mummy Cave" part, and not Indy knocking the statue down through the wall.

-The previously released "Basket Game" and "Desert Chase" are butchered just like the original 1981 album

-The sound mix is pretty much the same as the John Neal's original 1981 album mix, wich gives a great emphasis to the choral mix in "The Map Room: Dawn", but for the rest, it's not as good as the Steve Hoffmann 1995 DCC mix.

-The two unreleased tracks "Washington Men" and "Indy Rides the Statue" sounds great, nowhere near as horrible as the bootleg. BUT, "Indy Rides the Statue" is actually only "The Mummy Cave" part, and not Indy knocking the statue down trought the wall.

No, this release contains all of it - the original 8M3 Escape from the Pit. The bit from the film - what we know as "Through the Wall" - is an alternative cue, 8M3 Fix.

I honestly don't care what's on these discs. I would have been pleased with straight re-releases. People need to stop going ape sh*t over this thing. Oh no!!!! I'm missing 2 minutes of the score!!!! I can't live anymore!

-The two unreleased tracks "Washington Men" and "Indy Rides the Statue" sounds great, nowhere near as horrible as the bootleg. BUT, "Indy Rides the Statue" is actually only "The Mummy Cave" part, and not Indy knocking the statue down trought the wall.

No, this release contains all of it - the original 8M3 Escape from the Pit. The bit from the film - what we know as "Through the Wall" - is an alternative cue, 8M3 Fix.

Hum... okay!

But, this "alternate" version is the one we hear in the movie, right?

So, by all means, it's the original version we all grew listening to... don't you agree?

I honestly don't care what's on these discs. I would have been pleased with straight re-releases. People need to stop going ape sh*t over this thing. Oh no!!!! I'm missing 2 minutes of the score!!!! I can't live anymore!

Stop saying nonsenses... people are waiting for decades for this...

Yes, most of us (myself included) did not understand the structure of the Well of the Souls pieces until recently. It was all in the written score; I just never thought to look. Let's break it down:

7M1 The Floor That Moves - "The Well of the Souls" on every release of the score

7M2/8M1 (?) Uncovering the Ark - only available on the DCC expanded LP (second part of "The Well of the Souls")

8M2 Marion Into the Pit - only available on the DCC expanded LP (third part of "The Well of the Souls")

8M3 Escape from the Pit - "Indy Rides the Statue" on the new release

8M3 Fix - first revision of 8M3 with "In the Idol's Temple" action motif incorporated

8M3 Fix - second revision

Hum... okay!

But, this "alternate" version is the one we hear in the movie, right?

So, by all means, it's the original version we all grew listening to... don't you agree?

I'm disappointed it isn't on the CD too. It's a really cool development of the action motif. However, we also grew up with tracked music in that scene and a four minute "Miracle of the Ark."

Since it is not brand new music, I think I can wait this time 'round. The tone of people's posts keep worrying me, and then I realize that no matter what, I will be thrilled. So long as the audio quality isn't that bad...

Sorry, been at work all day, when did this cd leak? I know we can't post the full place of the leaking, but where the hell is it?

I'm sure you can PM someone, but don't ask directly on the forum for it. It can get you suspended.

I thought you were way off back when this was like in the 40's. It's quite possible it will hit 100, but knowing the speed it's been growing and how much time we have left, it seems like it will barely pass it. Is there anything left that we don't know that will boost this thread up? Track times? Once those get released...

KM hasn't had a chance to respond to these new findings and spread his panic amongst the members. So 100 is looking good.

Well I guess those of us who have the DCC release should hang on to it until we get the actual box set and make sure.

KM hasn't had a chance to respond to these new findings and spread his panic amongst the members. So 100 is looking good.

Well I guess those of us who have the DCC release should hang on to it until we get the actual box set and make sure.

That would probably be wise.

I thought you were way off back when this was like in the 40's. It's quite possible it will hit 100, but knowing the speed it's been growing and how much time we have left, it seems like it will barely pass it. Is there anything left that we don't know that will boost this thread up? Track times? Once those get released...

If memory serves I believe I suggested this thread would hit 100 pages before the box set is released. You were actually the one who said it could hit 50 but probably not 100.

Is anyone seriously concerned about the possible original album edits of "The Basket Game" and "Desert Chase"? Will the DCC versions track into the new album soundwise?

I'm thinking that the reason Concord pulled the single release is because they are happier with the album included in the box. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not, because either way we still get the unreleased stuff and the DCC album can replace the old album edits. Really, I don't think there's anything to get upset over.

If memory serves I believe I suggested this thread would hit 100 pages before the box set is released. You were actually the one who said it could hit 50 but probably not 100.

Yeah, I know. I think we have a misunderstanding. I was basically saying I thought you were overshooting it with 100, but I'm realizing now that you're right.

We'll reach 100, easy. We're still waiting on ToD and LC track times. 20 pages hinge on whether the complete "Underground Chaos" has indeed been relabelled as "Short Round Helps".

Well surely Laurent B... would have made the right artistic choice, looking at everything he had available to him. Chances are he felt the original album versions worked better. People who have the DCC version can replace them if they are really concerned and people who don't have the DCC album will be none-the-wiser. The importance, for me, rests on Temple of Doom and from the looks of it that will be a perfect release.

I think "Basket Game" doesn't include the opening Nazi theme statement. Apparently the "Desert Chase" edit is brutal, but I don't know for sure.

I just analyzed some cues (including the three unreleased tracks) with Adobe Audition, and I noticed something funny: the entire album seems to come from the same masters used for the 1995 DCC release (with frenquencies cut above 20-21 kHz), but the three unreleased tracks have a full dynamic range, all the way up to 22,05 kHz. Meaning: the unreleased tracks are mathematically (and maybe audibly) much better than the entire album...

I don't know if I'll get in trouble by posting print screens of it...

The hell with it. I'm posting the print screens of it.

These two are "The Map Room: Dawn" from the 1995 and 2008 releases. They look virtually the same, but the 2008 release seems to give emphasis to the choral and the bass sections. And the 1995 release seems to be some what louder.

Notice how both tracks have limited frequency range... with the exception of Washington Men, Bad Dates and Indy Rides Rides the Statue (wich I'll poste below), the entire album is excatly like this: with limited frequency range...

Anyway, "The Map Room: Dawn" is mother f*ck*ng cool track! It certanly rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the third print screen is from the unreleased "Indy Rides the Statue". You can see how it takes advantage of the full dynamic range that CD has to offer (22,05 kHz per channel).

I was planning on anyway, if only for the awesome liner notes.

I'm back and not panicking

A few choice quotes

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not, because either way we still get the unreleased stuff and the DCC album can replace the old album edits. Really, I don't think there's anything to get upset over.
We'll reach 100, easy. We're still waiting on ToD and LC track times. 20 pages hinge on whether the complete "Underground Chaos" has indeed been relabelled as "Short Round Helps".
The only reason for any doubt is that they may make such edits in ToD and LC.However, as people have pointed out, they seem to be basing the edits on the OST, so even that is an invalid reason for worry

So... if I'm understanding this right... there are two tracks here that are from the OST and not the DCC release. And these two tracks are missing music that is on the DCC version, right? So, they're shorter? Then isn't it possible that these versions were chosen deliberately so that there would be more room on the disc for unreleased tracks?

The only reason for any doubt is that they may make such edits in ToD and LC.

However, as people have pointed out, they seem to be basing the edits on the OST, so even that is an invalid reason for worry.

So... if I'm understanding this right... there are two tracks here that are from the OST and not the DCC release. And these two tracks are missing music that is on the DCC version, right? So, they're shorter? Then isn't it possible that these versions were chosen deliberately so that there would be more room on the disc for unreleased tracks?

Well based on the track times provided, and if I did my math correctly, Raiders is just under 77 mins. And there is only 30 seconds missing from Desert Chase.

So let me get this straight ,all this fuss because 2 cues, Basket Chase and Desert Chase are the OST edits when we have them complete on the DCC release ?

We'll need to make new track orders and edits for the stuff on disk 5 anyways so what's the problem???

Bouzereau also used the wrong takes on a few cues for E.T. Maybe he just picked the ones he like the best or didn't notice. I was actually expecting that from him

What's important in this set is ToD and LC, and those look decent enough

Either the reports of the film version of "Indy Rides the Statue" (the alternate) not being on the track are wrong, or that track time is wrong, because "The Mummy Cave" is like a 2:00 cue. Personally, I find it really hard to believe that that unused music is meant to go over the statue scene. I'll try syncing it up and see how it works.

If the track is roughly 3:00 long, then I'd say it probably starts with the film version, and then goes into the original.

Well based on the track times provided, and if I did my math correctly, Raiders is just under 77 mins.

And how long was the 1995 release?

I bet this thread will reach 115 pages before November 11th.

Well based on the track times provided, and if I did my math correctly, Raiders is just under 77 mins.

And how long was the 1995 release?

73 minutes.

Either the reports of the film version of "Indy Rides the Statue" (the alternate) not being on the track are wrong, or that track time is wrong, because "The Mummy Cave" is like a 2:00 cue. Personally, I find it really hard to believe that that unused music is meant to go over the statue scene. I'll try syncing it up and see how it works.

If the track is roughly 3:00 long, then I'd say it probably starts with the film version, and then goes into the original.

No, it's 2:09. Not sure where that report of three minutes came from.

So let me get this straight ,all this fuss because 2 cues, Basket Chase and Desert Chase are the OST edits when we have them complete on the DCC release ?

We'll need to make new track orders and edits for the stuff on disk 5 anyways so what's the problem???

Bouzereau also used the wrong takes on a few cues for E.T. Maybe he just picked the ones he like the best or didn't notice. I was actually expecting that from him

What's important in this set is ToD and LC, and those look decent enough

Oh give me a friggin break. You were fussing about 40 seconds of music missing from ROTS. And no one is really making a big deal about it. We're just sorting thru info.

It also looks like the end credits and Washington Ending combined are roughly 30 seconds longer than what is on the DCC release.

Another thing I noticed about the Raiders disc: the bass is much more powerfull than the 1995 release. Pay attention at the 00:27 mark from "Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well" and compare with its "Reunion And The Dig Begins" counterpart...

It also looks like the end credits and Washington Ending combined are roughly 30 seconds longer than what is on the DCC release.

It's got the soft coda (from what on previous releases was "The Raiders March") tacked on. I may edit my better sounding DCC tracks to reflect this "full" version of the end credits.

It's got the soft coda (from what on previous releases was "The Raiders March") tacked on. I may edit my better sounding DCC tracks to reflect this "full" version of the end credits.

That's what I figured. The original album had the coda at the end of the end credits if my memory is correct.

In response to indy4:

Then why are people complaining!?

Alright, fine. What do you want to complain about?

Don't encourage him.